The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are physical games being phased out?

5 posters

Go down

Are physical games being phased out? Empty Are physical games being phased out?

Post  Tenlo Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:22 am

I know this question pops up every few months, but I've just noticed a post from American McGee regarding Alice:Madness Returns. It seems it is very hard to find a copy brand new of this game in a lot of shops. I had already noticed this when browsing the GAME site and Zavvi have it down at over a month delivery which means they're out of stock. Is this a sign of games having smaller print runs now and a shift towards digital distribution. Is this a conscious move by publishers to try and retain some profit from the ever increasing pre-owned sales? I think over the next couple of years the way we buy games is going to change dramatically and I think a large proportion of it will be caused by retailers continually pushing Pre-owned games.
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11924

Back to top Go down

Are physical games being phased out? Empty Re: Are physical games being phased out?

Post  Liquid Code Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:34 am

I dont think physical games being phased out due to digital distribution as you cant get Alice:Madness Returns on digital download for xbox 360. I think its more to do with stores that are selling games only restock the current top 20.
Liquid Code
Liquid Code
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Liquid Code
Number of posts : 1179
Registration date : 2010-06-30
TGD Reputation : 121
TGD Elite Member Points : 6702

Back to top Go down

Are physical games being phased out? Empty Re: Are physical games being phased out?

Post  Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:00 am

I hope not. I like physical games. The same way I like holding an actual book when I read it and having to make room for it on my shelves......I like having stacks of games and having to put a disc in the disc tray.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabhlan Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:02 pm

It's also nice to have a physical backup just in case.

Also if everything was digital then from current evidence I think games would stay at higher prices for longer.

You find a lot more deals when buying new titles in physical shops then you do when getting stuff through digital distribution as there is more competition between stores.
Gabhlan
Gabhlan
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Gabhlan
Number of posts : 2395
Registration date : 2009-03-24
TGD Reputation : 31
TGD Elite Member Points : 8129

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:23 pm

i dont think that they would be totally phased out otherwise what would we do if the game become corrupt download and start again. Yeah cause that would be fun Rolling Eyes

This is like the physical books ebooks debate that keeps coming up there will be physical games for a lot longer yet and will take a long while for them to be totally phased out
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10048

Back to top Go down

Post  Ninja Yaro Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:29 pm

It does seem like this might happen eventually, it's not something I'm looking forward to though. The only good thing I can see in digital distribution is that we will be able to get any game any time, but that will probably mean that older games will be overpriced, me and a mate of mine usually borrow games off each other as well and it would put a stop to that. I think I would find myself buying and playing less games if the only way to get them is through digital distribution.
Ninja Yaro
Ninja Yaro
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Ninja Yaro
Number of posts : 2009
Registration date : 2010-05-29
TGD Reputation : 49
TGD Elite Member Points : 7200

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 pm

Its really up to us I guess.

A while back I had a rant up (yes I know I have lots of them, Borza, Virgin, Politicians, EA Scum etc, of which I would like to point out all proved right!), and that rant was about folks using Supermarkets for buying their games. The point was that this was putting pressure on the real Game retailer and etailers which in my view would eventually mean that you would struggle to find anything other than the current top 10 releases in stores. Now we all know that the top 10 sellers list bears little resemblence to the top 10 good game list. This will if unchecked force the proper titles to rely on downloading for sales.

So I think if we all ensured that we use game etailers and retailers only to buy our stuff and steered clear of the vermin that is Tescum and the scourge that is Online Downloading of titles, then the current media based stuff will be safe.

Sadly though the short sighted penny pinching low brained society we live in may well end up fukkin it up for the rest of us. Them and of course EA who would love to see us streaming everything as then they have total control.

So as I said its up to us really.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabhlan Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:39 pm

I find Tesco and the like have no idea over here how to price video games as they're not market aware. As I found before when browsing their store and they had Mass Effect about €5 more expensive then Mass Effect-2. I usually compare prices but never felt the urge to buy from them over a game shop.

I've not been game shopping as often since they shut down the GAME shop near my house. thankfully there's still a proper Gamestop near enough to me outside said Tesco above.
Gabhlan
Gabhlan
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Gabhlan
Number of posts : 2395
Registration date : 2009-03-24
TGD Reputation : 31
TGD Elite Member Points : 8129

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down