The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TITANFALL ON XBOX ONE REVIEW

+8
Tricky34
Fatboy Geezer
D3M0NiZe
KENT HAMMER
GrahamOfTheDead
Waggly Bean
Colne Crusader
Leigh36295
12 posters

Go down

TITANFALL ON XBOX ONE REVIEW Empty TITANFALL ON XBOX ONE REVIEW

Post  Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:38 pm

TITANFALL ON XBOX ONE REVIEW Titanf13

Fresh from Electronic Arts and new studio Respawn Entertainment comes the hotly anticipated sci-fi first person multiplayer shooter currently available for Xbox One and PC.  While the online-only outlook might seem like a step back in terms of pushing this much populated genre to a new level, its ideas on gameplay and action cannot be questioned, making it the current must have title for Microsoft's new hardware.
TF is played on the One exclusively over Xbox LIVE , making use of Microsoft's Azure cloud gaming platform.  To this point, the hosting structure has done a great job for the One community of players .  

There are two factions at war over a portion of space called the Frontier.  This primitive nook of the universe is rich in resources.  Resources that the Interstellar Manufacturing Corporation, ( IMC), stand to gain power and influence.  Led by Vice Admiral Graves, with support from a war brain trust of AI construct Spyglass planning to root the planetary system for all its worth.  That is, unless, the Militia forces have anything to say about it!  Comprised of a civilian band of rebels, the Militia are spearheaded by their own trio: "leader" MacAllen, engineer Cheng "Bish" Lorck, and Marauder Corps matriarch Sarah.  To be fair, I'm not solid on the entirety of the story lines.  I understand the Militia are like freedom fighters and the IMC are the proposed evil corporation, but in terms of individual character contributions or a smooth narrative arc, TF is a bit vague on story other than what I have already detailed, to be fair. While it may seem counter-intuitive considering the "all online everything" mentality, I think a few more cut scenes would have done wonders for clarifying what is going on a bit better.

When you first spawn into a match and literally hit the ground running, you're known as a Pilot.  A foot soldier that is waiting for your huge Battlebot-esque mech to be built and made available.  For what could take three minutes, survival is key.  So be sure to arm yourself well.  The chief tool for this effort is the primary weapon.  Despite the sci-fi setting, expect guns that you could very well see from one of the popular annual FPS releases.  There are no alien "energy" weapons, or gravity manipulators, or any of that sort of thing.  While classes aren't clearly defined, you can think about divisions in terms of range: short, medium, and long.  And most of them have to be unlocked by reaching a new progression level.  There are no "points" that can be used for early unlocking, either.  You want something on that list?  You'll have to grind to get it.
TITANFALL ON XBOX ONE REVIEW Titanf10
PUT ME DOWN YA BIG FECKER!! 

TITANFALL ON XBOX ONE REVIEW Titanf12
WHICH WAY?

Battles between Pilots and Titans is incredibly balanced and is one of the great design achievements of TF.  On paper, it seems like a huge mismatch: big, hulking mech of iron and scale against a puny human made of flesh and bone.  The nimbleness of Pilots, coupled with awesome level design principles, creates an ecosystem where a good Pilot can seriously hinder, if not single handedly, take down an average Titan player. Although I don't think there is a clean comparison for TF  to any other FPS currently being played, Respawn can't help but use some of their past creations.  Burn Cards are a prime example.  Pretty much, these stand in for Perks, with a twist.  Upon completing challenges in matches, these Cards become available.  After reaching a certain level, up to three can be loaded up before the next bout.  You'll select them one at a time either before the match starts or between respawns.  

Their categories vary.  Some shave off Titan build time, others extend radar functionality, some increase movement speed, a group of them offer "Amped" version of guns with increased payload, and so on.  Whatever the positive is, they're only good for that spawn.  If you plan on using an Amped version of an Anti-Titan weapon, you best know there are enemy Titans to shoot at and stay alive long enough to use the Card.  Otherwise, it'll be wasted.  I really like this system.  I'm still forgetting to load one up before I rage spawn after a death, which is a problem, since the "pack" has limited space, and any earned after reached capacity aren't allotted.  So use them often, and ditch those you know you'll never use.

The game modes are few, but effective.  Attrition is the basic Team Deathmatch option that takes the first team to 250 points as the winner. Hardpoint is like Domination, with three control points on the map.  The TF spin is that it doesn't take a lot of time to neutralize and take over points.  This turns the matches into enjoyable mad scrambles.  Capture the Flag follows CTF classic rules, as your flag must be present at your base to score the enemy flag.  The flavor here is that a Pilot can disembark from his/her suit, grab the flag, then hop back aboard and carry the object from inside the safety of the mech.  Pilot Hunter is much like Attrition, except only Pilot frags count towards the scoreboard.  And lastly is Last Titan Standing.  Best-of-seven series with no respawns.  Everyone starts the round as a Titan and the last team with at least one suit still ticking wins.  If you go critical, but can eject cleanly, you can finish it out as a Pilot.
TITANFALL ON XBOX ONE REVIEW Titanf11
THESE FART PANTS ARE AWESOME!

In terms of the raw gameplay, like how the game "feels" to play, it's amazing.  Again, the balance between Titans and Pilots could have been this release's downfall, and instead is one of its most dependable features.  Controlling the Pilot has that "easy to do, hard to master" thing going for it.  Running and leaping is as easy as gesturing the left thumbstick and tapping the jump button.  Scaling buildings to earn top position, however, takes concentration and knowing how to effectively utilize the double jump.   In some cases, there's something to be said about simplicity.  TF makes it simple.  

My personal favorite aspect about the gameplay is that you can be the type of troop you want to be, and still be very helpful to the team no matter what you choose.  Of course, going after enemy Pilots in the onset to keep them from reaching their preferred destination and calling in your Titan early is a huge deal.  But if you would rather just target NPCs, that's a big assist, as well.  A massive group of Spectres seriously eat away at Titans.  If their population goes unchecked, the results can be disastrous.  With a designated Minion slayer, that potential predicament goes away.  And what about folks that don't like being in their Titan?  Those that might find the in-suit action too slow?  No problem.  Drop your Titan into auto-mode and fight to keep yourself in good Anti-Titan weapon position.  All of these scenarios, or a mix of them, do much to increase the likelihood of victory.  That, in itself, makes Titanfall work on a level that other shooters currently just don't.  Choice.  It's a powerful thing.

In summary then
It's exactly the game we all wanted it to be. As long as the Azure server infrastructure can keep up with demand, Respawn's idea will continue to work perfectly. Pilot v. Pilot, Pilot v. Titan, Titan v. Titan. All of the possible gameplay scenarios are compelling, fair, and epic.

Everything about playing this game is the epitome of fun, everything. In large part to the aforementioned balance of gameplay aspects. The only question is will we be playing this in six months time? With some quality dlc and introducing some more game modes I don't see why not!
9/10

Back to top Go down

TITANFALL ON XBOX ONE REVIEW Empty Re: TITANFALL ON XBOX ONE REVIEW

Post  Leigh36295 Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:13 pm

Awesome review mate. I agree with everything you've said. Havent been on it for a couple of days but gonna get back on it by the weekend hopefully. I'm hoping the DLC will keep the longevity up too.
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10113

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Good effort bloke. Makes me wanna buy the thing!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13369

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:31 pm

Great review! Fart jokes are always a winner too!  Cool 

This does actually make me want to try it, even if it isn't enough to get me to buy the console itself. I'll have to go round my friends house and try it as I know he will have it - actually perhaps I should resist in case it does make me want the console! Razz
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8540

Back to top Go down

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:36 pm

Stop making me want an Xbox One more than I already do. Sad 

Nice work though mate.  Smile 
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11080

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Great work mate, see online tomorrow night!  Very Happy 
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  D3M0NiZe Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Great review Markav,absolutely spot on.
D3M0NiZe
D3M0NiZe
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : D3M0NiZe
Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2010-03-07
TGD Reputation : 26
TGD Elite Member Points : 6063

Back to top Go down

Post  Fatboy Geezer Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:19 pm

That is a wicked review dude, really great points made and you have made it sound accessible to everyone, which it is. I really hope we are all playing this 6 months down the line as it is so much fun with a team of friends, even if we are getting our arses handed to us.
Fatboy Geezer
Fatboy Geezer
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Fatboy Geezer
Number of posts : 2861
Registration date : 2013-06-19
TGD Reputation : 65
TGD Elite Member Points : 7457

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:23 pm

Great review mate, and i'll agree with all you've said about it. I've just got in from work and i'm thinking of sneaking in a few battles before i go to bed.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13287

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Some really nice comments guys, thank you very much. The review could of been longer really as I could go on about this game for ages. Only three other multiplayer games have had me hooked wanting to play every chance I get. Gears, Halo and battlefield BC2, this is right up there with them.

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:43 am

Nice work mate but like you say it's the longevity aspect for me. As I play so many games it can take me ages to get through one and don't wanna stump up 50 quid for people not to be playing it in a few months time.

Anyway good work dude.
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10053

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:22 am

well done matey......top reviewage

will be interesting to see how long people are into this title for

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 am

Everton wrote:well done matey......top reviewage

will be interesting to see how long people are into this title for

Probably until Dying Light comes out.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Lar 1 Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:36 am

Awesome review mate. This game will make me play the Xbox One more.
Kev Lar 1
Kev Lar 1
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Kev Lar 1
Number of posts : 3259
Registration date : 2009-01-26
TGD Reputation : 70
TGD Elite Member Points : 9456

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 am

Titanfall is definitely making me play more at the moment. And i'm steadily chipping away at the campaign wins, and ranking up.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Fatboy Geezer Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Couldnt agree more Kev Smile
Fatboy Geezer
Fatboy Geezer
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Fatboy Geezer
Number of posts : 2861
Registration date : 2013-06-19
TGD Reputation : 65
TGD Elite Member Points : 7457

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:52 pm

I think the true competitor to this game will be destiny in September, if that is better than this and let's be honest it really should be, then we are gonna be in for a real treat.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lighthouseman Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Well done mate nice work . I can see why you said not much work done at work today.  Laughing 
Enjoying it when there is a few mates about , but we did get are arses handed to us on plates a few times last night.  Razz 
Lighthouseman
Lighthouseman
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : lighthouseman
Number of posts : 3356
Registration date : 2009-06-19
TGD Reputation : 44
TGD Elite Member Points : 9484

http://Howard.miller@symingtons.com

Back to top Go down

Post  harry haddack Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:47 pm

God review.

I like how the Titans are available to everybody on a time based and not kill 15 pilots with out dying as some game top perks seem to be kill based. So everybody has a chance to get in and use a Titan regardless how good or bad you are at frist person shooters.

I find the titans can be taken down if a couple of pilots target them at the same time from different angles.
harry haddack
harry haddack
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : harry haddack
Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2009-01-17
TGD Reputation : 17
TGD Elite Member Points : 6704

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content