The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Never Alone. An Xbox One Review.

5 posters

Go down

Never Alone. An Xbox One Review. Empty Never Alone. An Xbox One Review.

Post  Colne Crusader Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Never Alone. An Xbox One Review. Never-10

A game by Upper One Games
Price: £11.99

Never Alone, also known as Kisima Ingitchuna is a stylish looking puzzle platformer with a unique premise.  Developed by Upper One games in partnership with the Native Alaskan Iñupiat people, this is just the first of a proposed series of games that aims to educate and entertain gamers by delivering cultural teachings to our consoles.
The Iñupiat people worried that the younger folks of their tribes were becoming more and more distracted by the outside world and all it’s modern trappings, and forgetting the history and traditions of their people. To this end, they decided to promote their culture to those youngsters and the rest of the world in the form of an Edu-tainment video game.

Never Alone. An Xbox One Review. Never-10

The story of Never Alone is based around an old Iñupiat legend of a never ending  blizzard. The main character is a young girl by the name of Nuna who sets off to find the source of the blizzard. She eventually finds herself accompanied by a friendly Arctic Fox, and the two of them combine their limited respective skillsets to overcome the treacherous and unforgiving Arctic terrain and reach their destination.  The player can either control the two characters themselves; a quick press of the Y button switches character, or you can play couch co-op , with one player controlling each of our intrepid explorers.  Along  the way you will encounter various characters and items that populate both Iñupiat life and myth. Proceedings are narrated in the traditional native tongue with English subtitles and are punctuated by a series of short documentary style clips featuring stories and accounts of real native people. You can skip the clips or watch them as soon as they unlock which I really recommend as it really adds to the authenticity and atmosphere, and really helps you warm to the characters and helps you understand the situations and legends at hand at the current point in the game. One example of this is the help you get throughout the game from the spirits of animals. Listening to the related clip offers a warming insight into reasons why this is included in the game mechanic.

Never Alone. An Xbox One Review. Never-11

Never Alone. An Xbox One Review. Never-12

To enjoy Never Alone to its fullest, you are going to have to embrace the culture and informative nature of the game as much as the game itself, because although charming and enjoyable, the actual gameplay is not perfect and is also a little short, clocking in at around 4-5 hours.  Visually, it is a beautiful, stylish title. The water and icy foreground are particularly stunning. The animations of the two main characters are very endearing and will really help you warm to them and take them into your hearts. The audio and weather effects are super.  Comparisons will be made with games like Limbo with its excellent stylings and puzzle platforming but sadly Never Alone really isn’t a patch on that classic and it’s truly excellent puzzles. The puzzling of Never Alone is fairly rudimentary and apart from a couple of occasions, you will always know what to do next pretty much straight away.  There are times when the controls can be a little frustrating too, but this can be alleviated somewhat by playing co-operatively as it’s usually only when you are controlling both characters in fairly urgent situations that it rears.

Never Alone. An Xbox One Review. Nevera10

For all it's brevity, I can personally forgive most of the misgivings of Never Alone as this is a very important title in the History of video games. Call me an old fuddy duddy, but I personally think it is absolutely fantastic that the traditions of the Iñupiat people can be promoted in this way, and this kind of thing can only help the human race to become better and more learned, not to mention the fact that it really enriches the world of video games.  I implore gamers worldwide to support initiatives like this and buy the game. I really wish it had been a longer experience both for my sake and the sake of all involved in it’s creation, but I had a lovely time with this experience and I am very pleased that I didn’t miss out. Hopefully the proposed future titles of this ilk will enhance and improve on the premise started here.

I score Never Alone a respectable 7 Caribou skins out of 10.

Last edited by Colne Crusader on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13356

Back to top Go down

Never Alone. An Xbox One Review. Empty Re: Never Alone. An Xbox One Review.

Post  Guest Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Good review fella
I like the sound of this kind of format

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:08 pm

Good work mate.

Its a great little game
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13821
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25598

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Great review, looks very interesting! Smile
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8527

Back to top Go down

Post  Sedgendary Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 pm

Nice review, may check it out at some point, too much to play at the moment though
Sedgendary
Sedgendary
TGD News Hound
TGD News Hound

XBOX Gamertag : Sedgendary
Number of posts : 1254
Registration date : 2014-10-01
TGD Reputation : 96
TGD Elite Member Points : 5221

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:24 am

I was looking at this the other day and thinking about buying. I'm still not 100% sure about it, especially if the controls are a bit ropey as I'm not sure it is something FBG would want to coop in, but will keep an eye out and maybe watch some trailers before making a final desicion.

Have some rep for a good and honest review!
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8097
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14179

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:31 am

nice work matey

love the score style

cariboooo hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks guys. This is currently slightly discounted at 10.79 for gold members.

Minks. I wouldn't let the controls put you off. It's only really towards the end when the pace of the game changes a bit that you feel it, and it's not that bad.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13356

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down