The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toy box turbos xbox 360 review

5 posters

Go down

Toy box turbos xbox 360 review Empty Toy box turbos xbox 360 review

Post  Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Toy box turbos xbox 360 review Header

Toybox Turbos is a racing game developed and published by Codemasters for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Windows PC.

A spiritual successor to the Micro Machines series of table-top combat racers, the game features a number of unique tracks, power-ups, and six different game modes for players to compete in.

Once you turn on Toybox Turbos, you're treated to a brilliantly colourful loading screen followed by a catchy theme song. After you jump into the action, you'll be grinning from ear to ear at the incredible environments and cutely animated vehicles. The cutesy audio adds a layer of merriment, and sound effects suit the action well. Vehicles sound distinctive and weapons are satisfying to use (especially when you hit other vehicles). Overall, Toybox Turbos' presentation goes above and beyond. Very pleasing to the eye.

Toy box turbos xbox 360 review Toybox_turbos_13_605x
The environments generally consist of places where kids would set up tracks for their toy cars such as the breakfast table, an art desk, a classroom, a playroom with a wooden train set, and a pool table. There are 18 tracks in total and each is brimming with unique charm. The 35 vehicles are as diverse as the tracks and are divided into categories that include public transport, off-road, construction, service vehicles, street cars, emergency, and finally race cars. Each car has its own personality complete with bright colour schemes and suitable animations. You can even paint vehicles yourself in the garage.

Toybox Turbos controls are easy to pick up as players only need to accelerate, brake/reverse, steer, and fire weapons. If you don't have a weapon equipped then the weapon button is used for a horn which is a fun way to taunt your opponents. The controls are tight and responsive as racing your tiny toy car is satisfying even at high speeds. There are three settings for the camera which include an angle that automatically focuses on the track or top-down (retro micro machines style)with either a static or rotating camera. This is great as it allows players to experiment and find what works best for them. Laps are short as they only last about 30 seconds each but this works in the game's favour as races never become drawn out. A big problem with the gameplay is the fact that even the slightest mistake may mean you to lose an entire race. The time it takes for your vehicle to respawn after falling off the track is way too long. Although it can feel very frustrating and unfair, it also encourages players to strive for perfection. The easily frustrated may want to stay away.

Single player mode consists of 42 challenges within seven cups that correspond to the different car types. These involve basic races against AI opponents, time trials, trying to overtake as many slow-moving vehicles as you can, outrun a persistently approaching wave, collecting clocks before the time runs out, and elimination boss battles. You collect coins as you race and receive large bonuses for performing well in a challenge. These coins are used to unlock more vehicles. Some challenges can feel unfair as you struggle to pass them. These difficulty spikes are mainly due to unrealistic goals. The time trials are very tight and take many retries. It can get discouraging quickly, but persistent players will be able to master them eventually. If you manage to finish the single player then you will unlock mirror mode for multiplayer which is a pretty cool reward.

Toybox Turbos features both local and online multiplayer. Although single player has many different types of races, the only way to play multiplayer is with elimination rules. This is understandable since the other types may not work as well as they do in single player. Basically, if a racer is too far behind or gets their vehicle destroyed then they get eliminated. It gets exciting when two or more players are evenly matched and keep going until one eventually crumbles under the pressure. I had many hours fun racing my son. Once he got the hang of it there were a few heated races that had him punching the air for every point won. A new generation won over by the games charm it seems.

Great game but a little low on content compared to similar incarnations of Micro Machines. Maybe this explains the low price.

Well worth a look, especially if you loved the original games.

Avoid if not a fan of originals, weirdo

Last edited by Markav on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Toy box turbos xbox 360 review Empty Re: Toy box turbos xbox 360 review

Post  Colne Crusader Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Good work monsieur. Sounds like it's not quite up to the standard of the micro machines games but worth a punt nontheless.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13369

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:11 pm

The hammers are back, yeah! Will wait for a sale for sure though.

Interesting that you say it's at a low price. It is in the Arcade Game section on the 360 marketplace, and it says 'Arcade Game' in the description. Yet the digital box art shows the Xbox 360 retail banner instead of the Arcade banner. If you look back, Legend of Korra also has the retail box banner too, so perhaps MS are trying to get away from the Arcade/retail distinction to bring it more inline with Xbox One releases. 

Still if it is indeed an Arcade Game (which I'm going to say it is), then it is actually in the top end of the pricing structure. Just a thought!

Oh almost forgot to say say that I did enjoy the review too! Wink
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8540

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Great review mate, sounds like a fun game, even if its not the biggest.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13287

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:39 pm

Good work Mark.

I am enjoying playing this myself and its great that it has 1000G

Although my god those waves always catch me on the second lap in the same spot!!! arrrgghhh
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:43 pm

KENT HAMMER wrote:Good work Mark.

I am enjoying playing this myself and its great that it has 1000G

Although my god those waves always catch me on the second lap in the same spot!!! arrrgghhh
i have two events to 3 star and a multiplayer Cheev for the max. Those two events are stupidly tough though

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 am

nice one matey but this wont be on my shopping list....good review though pal and rep

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzamann Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:31 am

Nice review mate
dazzamann
dazzamann
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : dazzamann
Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2009-02-22
TGD Reputation : 13