The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LA Noire

+10
KENT HAMMER
Tenlo
garymason72
Stucowie
Thommo
stubbymite
Ba5sett
minkey_monkey
habitualschizo
Leigh36295
14 posters

Go down

LA Noire Empty LA Noire

Post  Leigh36295 Wed May 25, 2011 2:16 pm

LA Noire 19980710

Developer - Team Bondi - Rockstar Games

Publisher - Rockstar Games

LA Noire is the latest big budget title to be released by Rockstar Games, but it is alot different from their usual, crime spree laden games, instead of running around killing innocent civilians, you're actually tasked with stopping these murders and solving crimes.

You take on the role of LAPD Officer Cole Phelps, a 'war hero', who believes he doesn't deserve the title, he starts off as a Patrolman wanting to right the wrongs he made during WW2 and you are assigned cases which eventually lead to promotion if you solve them successfully.

The cases you recieve range from Hit and Runs, Gambling Rings and Murders. At the beginning of each case you are given a brief backstory video of the crime taking place, and then travel to the crime scene, where you have to search the area for clues, check the wounds on bodys, follow blood trails etc. Once you have found enough of the clues, the main selling point of LA Noire really comes into play.

You are sent to talk to family members or suspects of the victims, and you get to see the true power of Rockstar's MotionScan technology. This is brand new tech created by Rockstar for this game, and I really can't think of a better place for it to fit in. Actors faces are copied perfectly into the game, you see every grimace, twich and nervous glance when questioning people, and you then have to work out wether they are lying or telling the truth. By the end of the game you'll feel like a body language expert. It truely is an amazing piece of technology, and it makes you feel like you are in a movie. I look forward to seeing more of it in future games.

LA Noire La-noi10

The story is excellent, I don't want to post any spoilers, so am avoiding giving out any story details, but within the first few cases it draws you in and keeps you hooked. I always wanted to know what was going to happen next, and after finishing a case, I couldn't stop myself moving onto the next one. And the times I did stop myself, I couldn't wait to play it again so ended up turning it back on an hour later.

As typical in most Rockstar games, you are given a bunch of side missions to complete too, and a bunch of collectibles. The collectibles are Golden Film Reels that you can collect at any tme, newspapers that can only be found while completing story cases, and the most time consuming one for me was completing the achievement for driving every vehicle in the city. There are 95 total vehicle types, and a bunch of them spawn randomly and feel almost impossible to find. I found myself spending about 6 hours searching for the final 5 cars I needed for the achievement.

There are a total of 40 side missions to complete. You recieve them over calls on your police radio while driving, and mostly consist of chasing suspects on foot, or in vehicles or stopping robberies. They do become slightly repetitive, but there isn't so many of them that it becomes a problem.

Sadly, repetitiveness does play a big roll in the game. Each case seems to have the same sort of layout. You drive to a crime scene, search for clues, interview witnesses, travel to locations searching for more clues, interview more people, chase a suspect on foot or in a car or have a shootout. Then you solve the case. Don't get me wrong, although it is repetitive, you don't really notice it so much for the first half of the game, and it still doesn't get boring as the interviews and clues just add to the story and you find yourself really wanting to solve the cases perfectly. The further into the story you get, the more gripping it becomes and so you tend to forgive the games repetitive nature. And lets face it, you're a cop solving crimes. You have to search clues and interview people. You can't just expect to walk into a room and shoot someone in the face and the crime be solved.

The crime scenes can be quiet gruesome at times, with bodies that have been bludgeoned to death, or burnt to a crisp. You can see Rockstar really went all out in trying to show how gruesome hunting murderers can be.

LA Noire La_noi10

As stated earlier, the MotionScan technology makes the graphics on characters look amazing. They are so lifelike that you sometimes forget that you are actually playing a game. The graphics in LA themselves are just as good. 1947 Los Angeles has been faithfully recreated with Landmarks and a large amount of real life vehicles from those times. Civilians on the street still have great facial animations, though not quiet on par with the main characters, and annoyingly only seem to have a few lines of dialogue which you will likely hear a hundred times or more throughout the game.

The soundtrack is excellent too. Genuine Radio shows from LA in 1947 have been taken and put into the game, there's songs from the likes of Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald to name but a few. I recognised a few of the songs already somehow, but by the end of the game I found myself 'very badly' singing along to a few songs. The voice acting is basically perfect. You can tell when people aren't telling the truth, by the tone of their voice, and the stutters and mumbles.

Achievement wise, LA Noire isn't too hard to max. Most achievements are case specific, like finding a certain clue and using it as back up when you accuse someone of lying. There are achievements for all the collectibles in the game too. The achievements I expect most people will have difficulty with, are the ones for getting 5 stars in every case, and finding every vehicle in the game. It took me around 26 hours to get every achievement, which I'd say makes the game great value for money.

I expect alot of people will see the R* Logo and the 18 certificate on the case, and think it's basically another Grand Theft Auto, in the 40's, and be dissapointed when they actually realise its not that at all. It's a completely new kind of game from what Rockstar are used to making, and once you accept that you're the good guy, and you can't go on crazy killing sprees, you'll be treated to what I personally think is the game of the year so far. I enjoyed every single minute I played (Bar the searching for vehicles), and loved the story. If you're on the fence about buying this game, let me solve your problem now. Just do it. You won't be dissapointed.

I give LA Noire a very impressive 9 out of 10.
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10117

Back to top Go down

LA Noire Empty Re: LA Noire

Post  habitualschizo Wed May 25, 2011 2:20 pm

great review. Love this game, only a 3rd in ,but, it's brilliant
habitualschizo
habitualschizo
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : habitualschizo
Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-03-16
TGD Reputation : 54
TGD Elite Member Points : 6146

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Wed May 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Great review, haz some rep Smile
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14199

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Wed May 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Nice review mate, I'm really enjoying this game so far
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9066

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Wed May 25, 2011 3:31 pm

i am loving this game and the differences that it has to many other games.

I like all the different things that you are tasked with.

There are a couple of little things that are annoying for me one being that when you get to the suspect they always bloody run.

And the game seems a bit repetitive in what you do like drive to crime scene investigate rinse and repeat. I have left the game a little bit so i dont get bored and want to trade it in as i want this game to be good as it looks brilliant.

Nice review leigh mate reparoola given Smile
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10057

Back to top Go down

Post  Thommo Wed May 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Great review mate, definitely going to pick it up when it's cheaper.
Thommo
Thommo
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2009-07-20
TGD Reputation : 32
TGD Elite Member Points : 6699

Back to top Go down

Post  Stucowie Wed May 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Great review Leigh,

My game of the year so far, and I agree with everything you said

Reppage given Smile
Stucowie
Stucowie
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Stucowie
Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2010-10-27
TGD Reputation : 59
TGD Elite Member Points : 6022

http://gamingbyt-bo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  garymason72 Wed May 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Great review mate, very fair.

the Motionscan tech they used is great, seeing actors you recognise from your fav shows in the game, Greg Grunberg (Matt Parkman from Heroes) was the main one but theres loads of faces you recognise but dont know their names. People who have loads of supporting roles in movies. Amazing.
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Garymason72
Number of posts : 2506
Registration date : 2009-02-16
TGD Reputation : 171
TGD Elite Member Points : 8348

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Wed May 25, 2011 10:33 pm

Great review, I will probably pick this up eventually I'm looking forward to playing it just got too much already pre-ordered!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11933

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu May 26, 2011 12:50 am

Your review is so good that I am now actually going to play this again and give it another try! Idea
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25621

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Thu May 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Cheers everyone Smile.

I miss playing this game now that I've maxed it Sad. Really can't wait for the preorder DLC to be released on the marketplace.
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Nice review mate. I really need to crack on and finish this, I can see the 1000 g is relatively easy especially using the Rockstar Social Club page for help.

P.s Leigh there is a code for the Naked City DLC sitting in your inbox right now. Enjoy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Thu May 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Awesome. Thanks alot Niteowl Smile. I've just started playing Portal 2 again and don't like playing 2 games at a time, so will get give the DLC a go over the weekend. Smile
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Mon May 30, 2011 8:12 pm

Super review mate!

At this rate, i'm gonna have to mention you in the newsletter......AGAIN!!!! Very Happy

Good work!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13373

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Tue May 31, 2011 9:48 am

Good review mate, loving this game and looking forward to where rockstar are going to go next with this facial capture technology
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9066

Back to top Go down

Post  Shybaby84 Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Blockbuster have a sale on at the moment and i saw this (which i bought on day of release) in either the 2 games for 20 or 2 for 30.

Shybaby84
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : shybaby84
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-07-16
TGD Reputation : 1
TGD Elite Member Points : 4697

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 pm

I've gotta say i found the main story to be a bit of a snore fest. Played the first few cases properly, and just couldn't get into it. resorted to using a guide to max it.

I'm actually enjoying the freeroam more than the main game, even if it is very repetitive.

Glad i didn't pay for it (borrowed it from a friend).

I will say though that i didn't think it was gonna be my sort of game.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13291

Back to top Go down

Post  Ninja Yaro Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 am

I only just got round to playing this, and I doubt I'll make it to the end. I'm just finding it so boring and repetitive that I'm lucky if I make it through half a case before wanting to turn it off. I really tried to like it but I just can't, might see if I can get a few more achievements from it and then I'll be sending back, glad I decided to rent it instead of buying.
Ninja Yaro
Ninja Yaro
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Ninja Yaro
Number of posts : 2009
Registration date : 2010-05-29
TGD Reputation : 49
TGD Elite Member Points : 7209

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content