The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playstation 20th Anniversary reminiscing.

+5
Tricky34
habitualschizo
minkey_monkey
onlyhalfmonkey
Colne Crusader
9 posters

Go down

Playstation 20th Anniversary reminiscing. Empty Playstation 20th Anniversary reminiscing.

Post  Colne Crusader Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:48 pm

What are everyone's favourite memories of the Playstation 1? It was an amazing, revolutionary time for gamers. It brought us 3D games for the first time in the home as well as a host of unique game styles, the likes of which we had never seen before.

I remember first playing one at my friend's house. He had Tekken 1 and I was hooked. It was groundbreaking to have those 3D graphics in the home. I had to have one and I gave away my Snes to a friend for his kids because suddenly 2D games seemed irrelevant to me! Those that know me now, know that giving away my Snes and all those boxed games still breaks my heart! Lol.

So anyway........My favourite memories of the PS1 are Tekken 1 and 2 til the early hours with mates, heated Olympic Soccer tournaments with it's wicked over exaggerated shooting with massive after touch and curl on the shots, and having the arcade action of Ridge Racer in my own home.

Also, being absorbed for hours and hours by Final Fantasy VII, the totally unique Resident Evil experience. The never seen before depth of Tomb Raider. The awesome Metal Gear Solid. Truly new and awe inspiring experiences at the time. Today we still wait for developers to bring us experiences that make us feel like those new experiences did back then.

It was a truly awesome and important time in the development of games! Vive le Playstation! Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13365

Back to top Go down

Playstation 20th Anniversary reminiscing. Empty Re: Playstation 20th Anniversary reminiscing.

Post  onlyhalfmonkey Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:07 pm

The first games I played (got one for my 11th birthday) were GTA and the Die Hard Trilogy. No wonder I'm a bit mixed up now ...all that cartoon violence
But the best memories definitely involve kicking mates (and my brother's) arses on FIFA and Gran Turismo
onlyhalfmonkey
onlyhalfmonkey
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : onlyhalfmonkey
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-03-18
TGD Reputation : 1
TGD Elite Member Points : 4892

Back to top Go down

Playstation 20th Anniversary reminiscing. Empty Re: Playstation 20th Anniversary reminiscing.

Post  minkey_monkey Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Ff9! I spent soooo much time on this! I loved it. I tried to restart playing it 3 times and never made it past the second to last boss despite thinking I had leveled up enough each time.
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8099
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14190

Back to top Go down

Post  habitualschizo Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:10 pm

Never foget this the first time you loaded it up
habitualschizo
habitualschizo
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : habitualschizo
Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-03-16
TGD Reputation : 54
TGD Elite Member Points : 6138

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:13 pm

habitualschizo wrote:

Never foget this the first time you loaded it up

Yep! Still love it just as much now!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13365

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:43 pm

I remember buying one after playing Ridge Racer on one at a friends house.

I can remember being truly amazed by the FMV scenes in the first Resident Evil, although it highlighted a fault with the disc drive on my console (a known fault apparently, that was swapped at Comet without any question at the time).

I also remember an F1 game that had a Murray Walker in game commentary, complete with some of his Murrayisms.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7254
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13282

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:51 am

Similar to Colne, I sold my Mega Drive and Mega CD when I got my first PS1. Thankfully I only sold it to my sister so was able to buy it back about a year later when I realised I missed it. Unfortunately I lost at least one game in that transfer - I still wonder who has my copy of Software Toolworks Star Wars Chess.  Evil or Very Mad 

Have some fond PS1 memories though:

Discovering Final Fantasy VII. This was probably the first proper RPG I ever played. Amazing. I lost a 70 hour save when my memory card corrupted and just started again. Now I would probably snap the disc in half in anger! Razz

The Tomb Raider series. How I wanted those nude Lara cheats to be real! 

The Resident Evil series. The terrible voice acting and amazing real-life video intro of the first one.

Silent Hill. Ghost children with knives in the school creeping the hell out of me.

Paying the Tomba demo over and over again, but never actually getting the full game. 

Discovering the card and spring method which enabled me to buy and play all those delicious import games from CEX.

Finding Parasite Eve 1 (Never released over here) in a pawn shop for next to nothing. 

The delights of Poy Poy with a multi-tap. Winner - Joey! 

Discovering weird games, like Parappa, Vib Ribbon and Bishi Bashi. 

Using my paper round money to buy Official Playstation magazine every month for all those new demos. Smile
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8536

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:24 am

quality console and great memories so rep for the post mate

am going to be firing up the 1,2,3 and 4 over the weekend to salute the anniversary!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:41 am

Mostly jrpg's
FF 7,8+9
Parasite eve 1+2
Vandal hearts
FF tactics

Xcom enemy unknown back when it was made by microprose
The first spyro game was fecking awesome too

Back to top Go down

Post  Sedgendary Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:24 pm

Never owned a PS1 myself, though I did have friends who owned it and I remember going round their house to play GTA and Tomb Raider a lot
Sedgendary
Sedgendary
TGD News Hound
TGD News Hound

XBOX Gamertag : Sedgendary
Number of posts : 1254
Registration date : 2014-10-01
TGD Reputation : 96
TGD Elite Member Points : 5230

Back to top Go down

Post  Lighthouseman Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:08 pm

PS 1 V-RALLY !! I love you
Lighthouseman
Lighthouseman
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : lighthouseman
Number of posts : 3356
Registration date : 2009-06-19
TGD Reputation : 44
TGD Elite Member Points : 9480

http://Howard.miller@symingtons.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:16 pm

for me it was all about those 50 gig patches you had to type in from the magazines and then buying the disc and paying the same price as the console to unlock certain parts of the data on the disc, along with the games being rushed out and buggy bollcks just before chrimbo

Ah progress..........

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:37 pm

rrrrrrriiiiiiiddddddddgggggggggeeeeeeeeee rrrrrrraaaaacccccccceeeeeerrrr

sorry I loved this on the pissy one. I still play lots on my ps1 and am able to pick up some great classics in local shops for as little as 50p Surprised
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10049

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down