The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre

+2
KENT HAMMER
Tenlo
6 posters

Go down

Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre Empty Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre

Post  Tenlo Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:32 am

Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre DFO_Logo_Large_Color-pp300h

Developer: Softmax

Publisher: NEXON

Cost:: 800MSP

Just recently I was reminiscing about the older generation of games and how they’ve stopped being made. One of my favourites was always Streets of Rage and its kind with its 2D side-scrolling beat-em-up gameplay. Well what do you know, by strange coincidence I’m now here to review a brand new 2D side-scrolling beat-em-up but with some modern gaming twists.

Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre is the first release on Xbox for Nexon, creators of the ever-popular 2D MMO Maple Story as well as Dungeon Fighter Online which Dungeon Fighter Live is based upon. The premise of the game is that you play as one of three characters (each with unique fighting abilities) who have been sent to the town of Hendon Myre to investigate the recent increase of the mysterious illness afflicting the residents. You do this by beating up lots of monsters while performing quests for the residents of the town which if course is the norm in gaming (a game based around rational discussion would be boring).

The gameplay itself is very similar to the old 2D beat-em-ups of the 90’s with your characters working their way round maps beating up every creature they come across using the moves at their disposal. You start off with basic simple attacks but as you level up you’ll unlock special moves which can either be mapped to certain keys or performed using basic combinations of movement and button presses. It’s all very simple and draws you in quite rapidly to begin with.

Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre Screenlg2

However, there isn’t much else to it. Many of the enemies are simple pallet swaps of each other and can easily be picked off one by one due to enemies only approaching and attacking when you get close enough to them. Much like Diablo a lot of the enjoyment comes from looting the enemies and obtaining the best items and this can prolong your enjoyment if that’s something you enjoy.

The issue here is that much like Nexon’s other games there is a premium option to take where you can spend MSP to obtain resurrection stones which unsurprisingly resurrect you instantly when you die or can be exchanged the high end equipment for your character. To their credit the Stones are very cheap with packages ranging from 40MSP to 200MSP giving you between 20 and 150 Stones respectively. With most of the equipment costing only 5 stones its quite cheap to max out your characters equipment.

However once you’ve bought this top end equipment the game very much becomes a slog through the same levels to finish off the quests you are set as your character becomes over-powered. This can be adjusted though by playing through the harder difficulty versions of the dungeons, but this can become dull if you don’t find the right balance as if you go to a dungeon which is too tough it can take 5 minutes to kill one enemy!

Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre Dungeon-Fighter-Live-Co-op-Screenshot

The other problem here comes from the other players. You can play this as local co-op or by yourself and while local co-op can make this game a lot more fun, playing on your own becomes very dull. However when it comes to playing with random players online there come some very frustrating issues. The first is the large quantity of Ninja Looters in the game. These are people who just pick up everything dropped whether they can use it or not. I can’t count how many times I swore at people online for picking up weapons which they couldn’t use while my character did. The only saving grace is that quest items can only be picked up by people who need them and once you’ve got all the quest items you need you can’t pick up anymore.

Graphically the game is nicely presented with a very hand drawn manga look about the characters and world, though the characters and enemies glide across the screen a little which can be distracting. The levels can often be difficult to navigate however and you’ll find yourself often wondering why you can’t get to the next area until you realise you’ve not hit the door in exactly the right place.

The in-game music while nothing amazing is far from awful and won’t become annoying any time soon. As you can expect though sound effects are very basic and limited to various grunts and groans created by the monsters and your character.

Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre Dungeon_fighter_live_fall_of_hendon_myre_image_t0MbxlI5lRsIfAT

Achievements are relatively simple in most cases and chances are you’ll pick up the majority by the time you’ve finished playing through the main campaign though it can become a bit of a slog at times. The last few achievements are quite tough and will require your character to be both high level with good equipment as well as having a good team of players.

Overall this isn’t a bad game as such and in short bursts can be quite enjoyable, but prolonged periods will start to drag and become monotonous. But credit must be given for combining the old school thrills of 2D side scrollers with the looting and quest systems of most MMO’s. With a few tweaks here and there this could be a great game but as it stands it’s just above average.

Overall 6/10
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11929

Back to top Go down

Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre Empty Re: Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre

Post  KENT HAMMER Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:25 pm

Hmm, wondering if I should even bother starting this now.

Cannot add another impossible completion.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre Empty Re: Dungeon Fighter Live: The Fall of Hendon Myre

Post  TreeMunky Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Nice review Tenlo. A DOTW from me I think.
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6686

Back to top Go down

Post  evilgenius76 Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Nice review!
evilgenius76
evilgenius76
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : evilgenius76
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2011-04-15
TGD Reputation : 19
TGD Elite Member Points : 5975

Back to top Go down

Post  Slayer1189 Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:57 am

Nice review. Playing through this just now. Find it to be quite good but I am co-oping my entire run. I don't imagine it being too much fun solo and the quests definitely seem abit much at times. Played alot worse Razz

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4894

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:49 pm

Seems like a fair and thorough review chap!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13369

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down