The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

+3
KENT HAMMER
Ba5sett
sophosuni
7 posters

Go down

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Empty Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Post  sophosuni Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:15 pm

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Headerbg

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Battlefield-bad-company-2-685x333

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 follows on from a string of impressive multiplayer warfare games from Dice. It specifically follows on from Bad Company which was the first Battlefield game to attempt a a singleplayer campaign alongside the expected multiplayer. In doing this it expanded its appeal across the market and put itself directly in competition with the dominant Call of Duty franchise. The obvious question that is often asked is how does it compare with Modern Warfare 2? The answer is not as simple as you might think, which can be seen from the many different answers provided in other reviews and many forum arguments across the internet.

There are key differences within the design of BC 2 and MW 2. The major ones that show up in singleplayer and multiplayer are destructibility, vehicles, scale of maps, weapon emplacements, shooting mechanics and pacing.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Bbc2betapc

MW 2 is a fast paced, twitch based game that presents itself like a Hollywood action/disaster movie. It focuses primarily on the infantry experience and uses level design to funnel you in a specific route encountering scripted events. Online it provides small and fairly tight spaced maps that encourage speed, quick reaction times and lone aggression. If you tried that play style online in Bad Company 2 you would die a lot very quickly and not achieve much. BC 2's singleplayer also takes a different approach as it encourages a slightly slower pace over larger maps and adapting your approach through different weapons, vehicles and tactics depending on the level. It also has a few less scripted events though does also make use of big set pieces.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 780010

I loved the singleplayer campaign and while its not quite as slick or polished as MW2 it is still entertaining and has some great action sequences. The story is the usual nonsense but is competent enough with an interesting twist in that the first mission is a flashback to WW II providing the background to the mcguffin that everything revolves around. The comedy element adds to it and the scripting is sharp and funny so you are always smiling during the cut scenes. The voice work is also top notch and the ad-hoc conversations during the levels are amusing to listen to. The characters are well rounded and memorable so you quickly identify with them. All four of the squad return from the first game with you taking control of Marlowe again. This again can add to your gaming experience as its another adventure in the life of characters who you already have experiences with if you played the first game.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Bcopening

Missions cover a few different environments and provide enough variety in stealth, action, sniping and vehicle use so that nothing ever becomes repetitive. The fact that you can collect weapons and then regularly come across supply crates so that you can choose your own load out from any weapon you have collected is also a clever mechanism as it lets you personalise the game a bit and gives you more tactical choice. The destructibility further adds to this as it allows you to make your own path through the map on several missions. Its just a shame that the campaign feels so short. While the length may be nearly as long as MW 2, BC 2 is easier to play so you get through it quicker and a couple of the missions have a vehicle bit and then only a very short walking bit. I am glad to say though that the vehicle bits and on rails bits are pretty good. The achievements on the single player side are also pretty easy so you will rack up a respectable GS fairly quickly even before venturing online.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 TGS-09-Battlefield-Bad-Company-2-Hands-On-Preview

Online is where the scale of things really open up. The maps are massive and the extensive use of vehicles, weapon emplacements, fully controllable UAVs and the squad system clearly differentiate it from MW 2. So far we have not had to worry about ongoing glitch problems like MW 2 though there have been server connection issues due to EA dropping the ball on how popular this game would be. They have recently released a statement however, saying that server upgrades are complete so connection problems should cease. Actually playing online is great fun as long as you take certain things into account. You cannot play BC 2 as a twitch game or as a lone rambo. Even if your not part of a squad or playing with friends you need to keep track of where the majority of your team is on the map as if you get left on your own you won't last long. Its a tactical game and you need to take account of which class might be best to use or switch to depending on how the match is going and what kind of vehicles or aircraft are available on the map. Playing in a squad, especially with friends is one of the best online experiences I've had and I personally enjoy it more than MW 2. The unlockables also seem to be well balanced (as Haggard says: no pussy ass heart beat monitors) and while it can seem to take a while to unlock the scopes you can get things like mortar strike fairly quickly so you never really feel underpowered.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Badcom10

The squad communication method in BC 2 has proved to be a double edged sword though, in that while you don't have to worry to much about whiny arseholes, if your playing on your own you can feel a little isolated without at least some online banter. It would have been nice to see a middle ground in this such as dual channels or a simple Operation Flashpoint style orders system.

The team based nature of the game is also clearly apparent in the available game modes and experience system. Individual death match is non-existent with small squad based survival games the replacement. In the larger domination and rush modes you have various squads on two teams fighting for control of landmarks or playing the role of attack or defence against a resource limit. The resources being respawn tickets. While there is not a long list of multiplayer types the depth and balance that has gone into the available ones mean that wearing them out will take a very long time.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Bfbc2g10

A now mandatory leveling system is included with weapon and equipment unlocks issued as you progress. You get specific experience within each class so the more you use the assault class the faster you get its unlocks. There is also an unlock hierarchy for vehicles as well enabling you to have better armour, optics, damage and smoke grenade dispensers. Achievement pins are also available for various activities gaining you bonus XP. What is important to note is that team based activities such as defending or capturing landmarks, defending squadmates or providing first aid/ammo/vehicle repair also gains you significant XP. The sniper version of this kind of aid is even more interesting as they get a sensor ball that they can drop and it will illustrate any enemies that pass near it on all the team's minimaps. This can also be done manually by all classes with the back button on the controller while your crosshairs are over them. This is an interesting and very important game mechanic as it helps direct your whole team to enemy attacks, maybe even better than voice coms would. The fact that you get XP for it and bonus XP if a team member kills someone you identified gives extra motivation to use it.

The controls in the game are well thought out with a consistent scheme across foot and vehicle usage with small onscreen prompts the first time you use a new vehicle. The sluggishness in aiming from the first Bad Company is gone and there are only occasional movement glitches when travelling across rubble or rocky environments. The lack of a prone position has been criticised by some but I am glad that it is not included as it would encourage sniperfests online as at long range they would be very difficult to hit due to the realistic ballistic model. There is some debate that sniperfests are happening anyway but I have generally found that this is due to lack of cohesive team play or people not varying their apprach to use UAVs or vehicles.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Bfbc2g11

The fact that while graphically it doesn't quite live up to MW 2 it is still very pretty and that the sound effects are second to none also helps with the immersion and really helps with the play experience. Some examples are on the desert level while sniping you have to take account of sand clouds that temporarily impede your vision and little details such as sniper shot echo. The frostbite engine itself is very impressive with draw distance, character models and primarily with destructibility. The destructibility is amazing and gives you more options in play style. If your struggling to find an angle on a sniper in a house why not just level the house, trying to flank and walls are in your way? just create your own door. I found it loads of fun just blowing whole villages up to see the effects. I also found the last level quite amusing as it uses destructibility to be an ironic take on mile high club from MW 1. I won't spoil it by going into detail but if you've played both I'm sure you will twig it. A couple of criticisms are item pop up which I came across quite often and the lack of anti-aliasing. While draw distance is pretty good you will notice small details popping up as you move closer, even the occasional enemy but this seems more due to trigger scripts. The lack of anti-aliasing is more of a disappointment and at this point shouldn't really be happening anymore in games.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 12617010 Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Bfbc2e10 Battlefield: Bad Company 2 95791710 Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Ef_eng10 Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Bc2ari10 Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Bfbc2g12

Overall with the stellar online modes and a singleplayer campaign that is definitely up there with genre leaders BC 2 definitely deserves its 9/10 review result. The occasional server problems may have sullied its reputation slightly and the ache for a longer singleplayer campaign is disappointing but hopefully they might bring out a campaign add on as DLC. If you fancy something a bit different to and more light hearted than MW 2 then this should be your next buy.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Battle10

Score:
Sound – 10/10
Graphics – 8/10
Story, characters and script writing – 8/10
Gameplay – 9/10
Multiplayer – 9/10
Replayability – 8/10
Overall – 9/10
sophosuni
sophosuni
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : sophosuni
Number of posts : 1071
Registration date : 2009-09-20
TGD Reputation : 40
TGD Elite Member Points : 6579

Back to top Go down

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Empty Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Post  Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Great review mate Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Nice review mate
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9058

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 am

excellent review, totally agree with this.

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:37 am

Great review mate.
Thanks for stepping up to the plate.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13824
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25612

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  palindromic BOB Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:39 am

Can't agree with you on this more Suni. Sums it up nicely. I think we've found the best time to be online is between about 9pm and 11.30pm. By best time I mean the time we seem to be able to steam roll opposition. I think there seem to be more hardcore players online later and a lot of lone wolves before this.
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Palindromic Bob
Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2009-01-27
TGD Reputation : 63
TGD Elite Member Points : 6772

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabhlan Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:54 am

I want to buy it now. Cool
Gabhlan
Gabhlan
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Gabhlan
Number of posts : 2395
Registration date : 2009-03-24
TGD Reputation : 31
TGD Elite Member Points : 8130

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:42 am

Good review suni, the more I hear about this game the more I am beginning to think I might need to pick this title up Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:48 am

Just ordered this, looking forward to playing it Very Happy
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9058

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:38 am

Spot on Review. I think I wore the campaign out in a week, playing it 3 times but online is where this really comes into its own. I would actually compare it to Frontlines. Fuel of War but with really shiney, chromed knobs on. I will buy this as soon as I can afford it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jameseire85 Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:14 pm

Nice work on the review
Jameseire85
Jameseire85
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Jameseire85
Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-04-21
TGD Reputation : 43
TGD Elite Member Points : 6732

Back to top Go down

Post  palindromic BOB Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:25 am

Goatboy081065 wrote:Spot on Review. I think I wore the campaign out in a week, playing it 3 times but online is where this really comes into its own. I would actually compare it to Frontlines. Fuel of War but with really shiney, chromed knobs on. I will buy this as soon as I can afford it.

Glad to see someoe else that enjoyed FFOW. It was completely overlooked by a lot of people due to COD.

The people after the big battles stuck with Battlefield 2: Modern Combat until Bad Company 1 came out. I had been playing BF2:MC around then and it was amasing to see it still had a good community 3 years after it's launch.

Some of the remote control units of Frontlines were just amazing fun to use in battle. Glad to see the UAV in BC2 now. Love that thing.
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:29 am

palindromic BOB wrote:
Goatboy081065 wrote:Spot on Review. I think I wore the campaign out in a week, playing it 3 times but online is where this really comes into its own. I would actually compare it to Frontlines. Fuel of War but with really shiney, chromed knobs on. I will buy this as soon as I can afford it.

Glad to see someoe else that enjoyed FFOW. It was completely overlooked by a lot of people due to COD.

The people after the big battles stuck with Battlefield 2: Modern Combat until Bad Company 1 came out. I had been playing BF2:MC around then and it was amasing to see it still had a good community 3 years after it's launch.

Some of the remote control units of Frontlines were just amazing fun to use in battle. Glad to see the UAV in BC2 now. Love that thing.

You can still get a Game on it but, the Guys who are regular are like an awesome Blitzkrieg machine Shocked . It was the first 360 Game I took online, I met most of my regular XBox mates on it and I loved the big maps and co-ordintaion it takes to win at it. The Campaign is also really good fun and of course it has Bad Co stylee destruction. Myself and a few others still dust this off from time to time. Yeah! Good Game.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:54 pm

I just picked up FFOW as well as bad company 1 and GRAW all for 15 quid. now i think that's a bargain.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:58 pm

MrT4876 wrote:I just picked up FFOW as well as bad company 1 and GRAW all for 15 quid. now i think that's a bargain.

Awesome bargain. GRAW is a bit fiddly for me but I love Frontlines and Bad Company.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Simply have become addicted to BC2 and just had to try the first one. saw the other 2 and had to have them just seem to be in a war state of mind at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post  palindromic BOB Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:39 am

BC2 has improved on the first. Classes feel more balanced now (although they were never that bad anyway) and the maps and grapical look are much much better.
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:41 pm

Can't believe this has been out for a year already. Still an awesome game now Smile. Need to get back into the vietnam DLC soon I think.
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10109

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content