The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Fantasy XIII - Worth The Disc It's Printed On?

+8
Lance the pimp
djilladel
Lars Blackheart
Angel
XkurosakiX
Ba5sett
GrahamOfTheDead
DBEFC
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Final Fantasy XIII - Worth The Disc It's Printed On? Empty Final Fantasy XIII - Worth The Disc It's Printed On?

Post  DBEFC Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 pm

As we approach the release of FF XIII, am interested to gauge opinion on this one.

Particularly from those who "experienced" FF XI on 360.

I loved FF VII but have always been somewhat disappointed by what followed.

What do we think? Quality or yet more dross churned out by Square?
DBEFC
DBEFC
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : DBEFC
Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2009-09-15
TGD Reputation : 8
TGD Elite Member Points : 5497

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy XIII - Worth The Disc It's Printed On? Empty Re: Final Fantasy XIII - Worth The Disc It's Printed On?

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Surely you mean is it worth the 3 discs it's printed on?

Never been a fan or JRPG's.....but not gonna deny this is gonna be a big seller.
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11095

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy XIII - Worth The Disc It's Printed On? Empty Re: Final Fantasy XIII - Worth The Disc It's Printed On?

Post  Ba5sett Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Its tricky to judge really, I played Final Fantasy VII on PS1 and loved it then went on to play VIII which was decent then X on the PS2 was ok but I ended up getting bored of it. I've also played the remakes of III & IV on the DS and really enjoyed them. XIII has been getting decent reviews in Japan and I'm looking forward to playing it but I'm not really expecting anything special. Most likely a solid JRPG with a confusing story and great graphics but nothing ground breaking. From what I've heard that was a big backlash in Japan after the tried to move the genre forward with number XII so I'm expecting them to go back to the tried and tested formula for this one.
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9077

Back to top Go down

Post  XkurosakiX Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:38 pm

I think i could go so far as to say i have loved all the final fantasy games except XII, which i have yet to get into, and seriously can't wait for FFXIII to be released.
There has been a severe lack of decent jrpg's on Xbox 360 and there are only so many time i can play through Lost Odyssey.

I'm not looking for anything ground breaking with FFXII just more of the same, leveling up and item collecting. Just hoping the battle system hold's up well as i heard it differs a lot from the traditional turn based system i have loved in previous games.
XkurosakiX
XkurosakiX
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : XkurosakiX
Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-10-24
TGD Elite Member Points : 5542

Back to top Go down

Post  DBEFC Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:05 pm

Agree but guess my overwhelming feeling is that whilst I enjoyed FF VIII, IX, X and even X2, I've never quite enjoyed the storyline quite as much as I did in VII.

In my opinion, they've never quite got the storyline to the same level since.
DBEFC
DBEFC
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:59 pm

well i dont have any experience with FF but am sure lookin forward to this 1 cause... sofar it looks like that storyline might be at a level of Lost odysey.. atleast thats how it looks to meh Razz
Angel
Angel
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Im EliTE Angel
Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2009-04-17
TGD Reputation : 34
TGD Elite Member Points : 6283

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:33 pm

I have already ordered my limited edition game[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and my limited edition guide Very Happy Very Happy Really looking forward to it Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  DBEFC Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:27 pm

I've now capitulated and pre-ordered my own collectors edition copies of the guide\game.

Now... where am I going to find 100+ hrs to devote to this? Rolling Eyes

Anybody got any thoughts on where this will rank alongside the previous FF titles?

Particularly FF XI which I hear perhaps wasn't the series at it's best....
DBEFC
DBEFC
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Number 11 is online only so doesn't really compare. 14 will be online only Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:40 pm

I've enjoyed all the FF games I have played (IV through to X-2) but since VII none of them have ever come close to how good that game was. I will probably pick this game up at some point, but I wont be getting any limited edition copies and I wont be getting it at release, I will definately be waiting until this one drops down to the £20 before I get it... as with all FF releases it has been hyped to the nines and is surrounded by a lot of expectation but if I'm honest I just feel that they will never recapture the glory that was VII. A good game it may well end up being but I have my reservations.

Back to top Go down

Post  XkurosakiX Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:41 pm

FFXI was an MMO so you couldn't really compare the two.

I don't think anything will ever come close to FFVII in my eyes but from what i've seen of FFXIII it looks very reminiscent of FFX which i also loved!

Can't wait!
XkurosakiX
XkurosakiX
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Well XI was an MMO so guess you could judge it on a different scale, XIII has had some really good reviews in Japan and I'm sure it will be a very good game. Seems like they have tried to streamline the experience so you don't spend ages wandering around towns looking for a certain npc who will trigger the next bit of the story and things like that which sounds like an improvement to me. VII was the highlight of the series for me I got it for christmas in 1997 along with a PS1 and it completely blew me away
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  DBEFC Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Exactly Ba5sett, my situation completely.

Loved VII, never quite loved any of the others anywhere near as much.

If there was one game i'd love to see reproduced to take advantage of the new hardware, complete with a few new bits bolted on - it's VII.

Who knows if those ever present rumours hold any truth - I certainly hope so. Always seemed such a shame to me they didn't make a sequel, particularly given they seemed to break from that tradition with X2.

As for XIII, I just hope it's not a disappointment, there is an understandable storyline, some characters you can understand too for that matter - and they somehow manage to recapture the brilliance of sidequests like Chocobo breeding!

I suspect I may be asking for too much though.
DBEFC
DBEFC
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:23 pm

There is always the prequel Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core on the PSP which is supposed to be good but I got rid of my psp ages ago as I never used it
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Lars Blackheart Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Ba5sett wrote:There is always the prequel Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core on the PSP which is supposed to be good but I got rid of my psp ages ago as I never used it

I used to own crisis core, seemed a little short for my liking, yes it is good but not a patch on VII. It had lots of good ideas in it, but some things just didn't work for me. Like materia didn't work in the same way as VII and the combat was completed different. Maybe i just got too used to how everything was in VII and I just don't like change.

I think the thing that made VII so good was that for starter they took their time making. If the story is to be believed, it was originally meant to be a snes game but then square wanted to spend more time on it.

Also working in VII's favor was that it was created by most of the team that made chrono trigger on the snes, which was and still is an awesome game.

I am looking forward to the release of XIII, however with most of the 'dream team' parting ways to form their own studios, i do have my doubts as to if anybody else has the same vision for creating a game like VII or if they have the strength to cope with the level expectation from fans of this franchise.
Lars Blackheart
Lars Blackheart
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Lars Blackheart
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-08-31
TGD Reputation : 7
TGD Elite Member Points : 5613

Back to top Go down

Post  djilladel Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:17 pm

teamxbox only gave it a 5/10 in its review today.
djilladel
djilladel
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : dj illadel
Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2010-01-02
TGD Reputation : 26
TGD Elite Member Points : 5765

Back to top Go down

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:39 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mostly positive (sort of), but this stands out....

The game gets exceptional after this one moment -- but, regrettably, this moment came for me after suffering 15 hours and 30 minutes of pure, unadulterated tedium.
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11095

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:16 am

niteowl1980 wrote:I have already ordered my limited edition game[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and my limited edition guide Very Happy Very Happy Really looking forward to it Very Happy

am a bit disapointed that the special edition just has a normal DVD case game inside a cardboard box. Still will be very limited edition so will be nice to have.

Just wish I could play it instead of just looking at it at work. We have been banned from buying til Tuesday Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  XkurosakiX Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:39 am

My copy arrived this morning. Although it is for the PS3 as it is the better version i'm sorry to say. Off to play it now!
XkurosakiX
XkurosakiX
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  XkurosakiX Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm about 3 hours into this and i'm really enjoying it. I'm a massive FF fan but didn't like 12 all that much but i'm quickly getting absorbed by this. It's true that the beginning is a pretty linear but i think when telling a story you need to set the ground work to build upon. By the way the graphics are ridiculously good!
XkurosakiX
XkurosakiX
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:18 pm

I have given into temptation and decided to get the White elite as a birthday treat, goes with my red one as a nice collectors set. Needed a bigger hard drive anyways Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:58 pm

niteowl1980 wrote:I have given into temptation and decided to get the White elite as a birthday treat, goes with my red one as a nice collectors set. Needed a bigger hard drive anyways Embarassed

You're either a secret millionaire or the staff discount you get is pretty decent!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:12 pm

No discount but traded like 20 + games in Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:17 pm

Jeez how about this for irony. Mere hours after raping my game cupboard to get my elite I find out I have won a FF 13 super elite through a Microsoft incentive at work!!!

Guess am gonna be able to offer just about the best staff incentive prize to the guys who work for me. Gonna make them sweat blood trying to win it lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:47 pm

You jammy bastard! Congrats on the win... so who did you have to sleep with to win that prize then? Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next