The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Fantasy XIII.

+2
minkey_monkey
Choskie
6 posters

Go down

Final Fantasy XIII. Empty Final Fantasy XIII.

Post  Choskie Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 pm

* May contain spoilers!

When you consider the amazing Final Fantasy titles we've had in the past, this game is a disgrace in comparison. I honestly feel so disappointed and slightly angered by this game. Every once in a while, I come back and try to perservere.

The game is so linear, it's a line. A line where you can spam "A" and every now and again you hit "LB" to switch paradigms and you're back to spamming "A" again. I swear this game could be beaten using a turbo controller.

The game's main selling point was the cut-scenes. Literally half your in-game time is spent watching cut-scenes. The characters, however, are pretty diabolical so make 20 odd hours worth of FMVs extremely unappealing.

We have:

Lightning - "badass"? No. Try angry, emo mangirl with a very strange body shape.

Snow - "I'm a hero! I will save you all!" - white knight who is overly optimistic to the point he's annoying.

Sazh - ok, I'll give you this one Square Enix. Funny black guy with a baby chocobo nesting in his head. Reasonable, loving character.

Hope - that fucking name? He's more emo than Advent Children's Cloud! All he does is whine, whine and bloody whine.

Vanille - supposed to be cute, is actually an annoying little whore who implies Sazh wants her. She's supposed to be like 15. Sazh is middle-aged.

Fang - another semi-decent character. Annoying Australian accent - but other than that, she's pretty badass. Most of the time.

The game is also very repetitive story-wise. They constantly seem to be trying to achieve the same goal, whilst repeating dialogue simply worded differently. They escape, they're caught, they escape, they're caught.. blah blah.

I'm almost on Chapter 10 of 13 and needless to say, totally not impressed by this game. Apparently, Chapter 11 is where the "game starts and gets good" - are you kidding me? 17 hours of gameplay and 11 chapters later and it's just getting good?

What happened, Square Enix? Sad

And then of course, there's XIII-2 and Lightning Returns which were never originally intended to exist. It wasn't part of the plan. Sure, they're probably decent games - but it's all for money.

So many players who had never experienced a Final Fantasy before adored XIII. They need to go back and play an actual decent Final Fantasy game! Play them ALL, then come back to me and tell me XIII's your favourite. Seriously! Mad

I just had to get that out there. Posting it on TA would be a waste of time, you get shat on right, left and center for having a different opinion. Fanboys galore, wooohoo!

Seriously though people, I want to love this game. I WANT to. I just can't. No

Choskie
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Choskie
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-07-12
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4360

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy XIII. Empty Re: Final Fantasy XIII.

Post  minkey_monkey Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:47 pm

I played 7 and 9 and loved them, I've played through 9 a few times now, I spent about a month solid on that game in the 6 week school holidays way back when lol... then I tried 10 and hated it... then the next one too. The graphics are beautiful but I couldn't warm to the characters or the change in controls etc so I kind of gave up. I was planning on getting a more recent one, but after reading this I might just not bother and dust the ol' PS1 off instead lol.
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14202

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:48 am

I agree that 7,8,9 and even 10 were fantastic games. It would seem the bubble has burst for this franchise. Great post mate!

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:56 am

Aye I'm currently playing FF 1 on my WP7 and you can see the difference, more gameplay over story. But Square Enix have publically announced that they want to make more films and I guess that's what they're aiming at. I will say although FF13-2 does still have the ability to hammer through battles due to Relentless Assault, it does feel much more like a Final Fantasy game as far as the gameplay goes though I'm still to finish that one.
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11936

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 am

I am quite a big final fantasy fan, I was disappointed by XIII initially but it grew on me as I played it more and I ended up enjoying it doesn't come close to some of the better games in the series though think my favorites are 4, 7, 8 and 10
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9069

Back to top Go down

Post  Slayer1189 Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:00 am

Below i'm going to list a brief summary for the main games in the series IMO, I don't think any FF game is bad but there is certainly a trend.

From the list below i'm sure I know where i'd go if I wanted a gameplay experience and where i'd go for a good story - FF XIII would be neither but for anyone who has managed their way to chapter 9 or 10 should definitely perservere to chapter 11 then beat the main story at least. It's the better part and if you don't do it the first 9 chapters have been for nothing Sad

FF I - Great gameplay - basic job system is pretty cool
FF II - Unique game, not too fond of the upgrading system
FF III - An advanced update of the first game
FF IV - Great story line that doesn't affect gameplay be being present
FF V - Updated from the 3rd game, most advanced use of the job system and probably the most in depth, cliche story
FF VI - Heavy focus on story, gameplay still pretty good
FF VII - Good all-rounder but doesn't do anything exceptionally well
FF VIII - Good story, good behind the scenes battle system (junctions and GF's)
FF IX - Another decent all rounder
FF X - Story
FF XI - Decent MMO, used to take forever to level but I believe they fixed that
FF XII - Back to gameplay from story, gambit system is love or hate (never finished this one)

FF XIII - Story is mostly based around the characters, and the characters aren't that great, main story is fairly 'cut and paste' but for what it's worth the gameplay gets slightly better from chapter 11 until the end, then in end game the gameplay gets much better (though still not fantastic). It's just a shame people have to perservere that far to get to the good part, which still isn't great so abit of a let down for some.

FF XIV - haven't played

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4901

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:12 am

I haven't played any other than 7, 8, 9 and I think possibly 10. 3 of my favourite games in the PS1 era but never really bothered with the PS2 versions. Have had no real interested in the 360 ones too so will probably never play them. I did try the demo for 13-2? I think and found it a bit boring.
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10120

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum