The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microsoft Dropped One Big Banhammer

+10
kinglyliam
Virus25061984
Tricky34
B1G Daddi F
Dangerous Dave
BBK
chrism1066
palindromic BOB
sophosuni
Lars Blackheart
14 posters

Go down

Microsoft Dropped One Big Banhammer Empty Microsoft Dropped One Big Banhammer

Post  Lars Blackheart Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:19 pm

Just looking at one of the sites I regularly visit and console modders are waking up to a bit of a surprise.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

also check the banned forum on xbox.com, it's caused quite a stir.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My whole point of this this is to ask the questions...

Is piracy killing the games industry killing the games industry?

Were the bans justified? Due to pricing around the world, and the economic climate, does anybody feel that people may be turning to piracy as the only affordable solution to playing the games they want?

just to clarify, I think piracy is wrong no matter the circumstances, but that's just my opinion
Lars Blackheart
Lars Blackheart
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Lars Blackheart
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-08-31
TGD Reputation : 7
TGD Elite Member Points : 5594

Back to top Go down

Microsoft Dropped One Big Banhammer Empty Re: Microsoft Dropped One Big Banhammer

Post  Guest Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:10 pm

I think the bans are completely justified. I think the lack of consequences can sometimes make piracy too easy,not just in games but movies and music too.

I think the recession is not an excuse. If you can wait a few weeks to buy a game you will find all new releases go down in price.

Back to top Go down

Microsoft Dropped One Big Banhammer Empty Re: Microsoft Dropped One Big Banhammer

Post  sophosuni Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:16 pm

I don't think piracy is killing the games industry in general because the revenue shows it is thriving and initiatives to reduce piracy are working in most cases. Software protection does a small amount but will always be quickly overcome. The control and monitoring that Microsoft has over xbox live plays a major part and I think the threat of the banhammer does put most people off piracy. The thing I actually like in piracy reduction methods that actually gives something back to honest gamers is free launch DLC codes and other PR initiatives that give a first time buyer something extra.

As to which one work's the most, it seems to me that unfortunately it is the monitoring and control structures like that of Microsoft and to a lesser degree Steam on the PC. The PC format has been ravaged by piracy much more than consoles to the point now where there are some developers who ignore it and there are very few that create games specifically for the PC to take account of its advantages over consoles. This is beginning to turn around slightly due to programs like steam and the emergence of digital distribution but as a gaming platform it is still pretty badly injured by its open source nature and the ability of hackers to find exploits in 99% of PC software, even Steam. This is such a shame as it is the open source nature of the PC that gives it its biggest advantage over consoles. The modding community beats the pants of most DLC available on the xbox and to put the icing on the cake most of it is free!

There will always be the clever rebels who will hack a system just to see if they can do it. There will always be criminal organisations that will use these people to make short term profit for themselves and there will always be consumers who will justify using pirated games, whether its because they feel they are getting ripped off (correctly sometimes) or just because they want to stick it to the corporations. Its just a shame that this has such a major impact on the games industry, whether its the reduction in the PC market or limitations in risk and creativity to pander to larger audiences or cost cut to make up for the impact of piracy.

The ban forum is kind of amusing though with some of the excuses they come up with pirat
sophosuni
sophosuni
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : sophosuni
Number of posts : 1071
Registration date : 2009-09-20
TGD Reputation : 40
TGD Elite Member Points : 6579

Back to top Go down

Post  palindromic BOB Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:12 pm

Some of the funniest posts I've ever read on xbox.com

"I got banned for sending a racist comment, but the guy I sent it too sent one first. Why ban me?"

"I only replaced the DVD drive myself"

blah blah blah.

Piracy is one of those thing tat just happens but I don't think it actually hits the industry that hard.
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Palindromic Bob
Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2009-01-27
TGD Reputation : 63
TGD Elite Member Points : 6772

Back to top Go down

Post  chrism1066 Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:45 pm

people willl alwaystry and beat the system, which ever console or hardware they have, I think its just the way some people think they can get things!

I Think the only people who are opposed to the bans are the ones who are trying to beat the developers and companies, surely by purchasing an xbox or ps3 you are already agreeing to buy games or accessories for it!! otherwise its useless! lol

There are some funny comments on that forum tho lol!
chrism1066
chrism1066
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Chrism1066
Number of posts : 1322
Registration date : 2009-03-04
TGD Reputation : 25
TGD Elite Member Points : 6932

http://z13.invisionfree.com/blue_oval_enthusiast/index.php?act=i

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:45 am

I love the way people whinge on about being caught cheating or stealing (thats what using a hacked box is) and then spurn out some cockarse justification for cheating and stealing

If you cant afford something then you either wait until you can or go without

You can pick up old titles for 4 or 5 quid or you can rent for even less, and a good game can be played for 30 hours+, so there is no excuse.

I am all for the preservation of old retro game roms through projects like Mame, but folks using hacked boxes should be banned from Live.

Society has sadly become all about getting something for nothing and its ruining who we are.

Back to top Go down

Post  BBK Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:31 am

If you play illegal games and get caught then just accept the consequences, its as simple as that. I'm no angel, I used to copy games, and my mp3 collection is a lot larger than my CD collection. There isn't really an excuse. Yes, the corporates are totally ripping off the consumer, of that there is no doubt. When a music CD costs about a quid to produce (including royalties) why were they £9.99 in the shops? Same with the cinema - when I take my brood to the cinema it ends up costing me around £80 (with popcorn etc). I mean seriously, how can it cost £5 for a bucket of popcorn that costs pence to produce? Over a year ago the estimated PROFIT on GTA IV was $400 million. How much of that is passed onto the consumer? £50 RRP on a game? Yes, the budgets are high (est. $100 million on GTA), and the entertainment value is long, far longer than a movie, a book, a CD (in some cases anyway, and almost definitely with anything released in the last 10 years), but £50 is prohibitively expensive IMO.

Every thing around us is rip-off, and you can fully understand why people pirate, but there's a difference between understanding why and justifying it.
BBK
BBK
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : bbk70
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2009-05-08
TGD Reputation : 5
TGD Elite Member Points : 5602

Back to top Go down

Post  Dangerous Dave Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:42 pm

piracy theft call it what you will it has been around since man has been around in various forms, it isnt killing the game,music,film or any other industry and it never will. piracy is a very small part of a gaming industry which is aimed at younger generation who if you probably asked them what piracy of theft was they woulnt have a clue. the thing i love about when these topics come out is that it shows out there people still live by the princliples that have been passed down from generation to generation......HONESTY

i dont really care if a few people hack there xbox's, i paid for mine and i worked hard to get it and thats a feeling i can get and they cant......
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : OSK DOMINATI0N
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 5
TGD Elite Member Points : 5673

http://www.cakefarts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  B1G Daddi F Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:32 pm

This is interesting...

I ws talking about this over the wkend, couple of my friends have offered to "chip" me box for me. One of them is on live and one isn't.

I was tempted as they both have nearly every decent game out, while i have to wait and pick and chose what i can afford, so who's winning and who's losing??...Do i stay loyal and feel like i'm being ripped off, or do i look after myself and take me chances?

I need to see how this Banhammer pans out, cause me m8 is still online playing Forza as i speak for £3, while i'm online playing it for nearly £40...

In this current climate, you can't tell me that isn't attractive??..

I'll tell you straight, i'm no angel , but i'm no fool either, so i'll watch this very closely..
B1G Daddi F
B1G Daddi F
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : B1G DADDI F
Registration date : 2009-06-17
TGD Reputation : 2
TGD Elite Member Points : 5616

Back to top Go down

Post  palindromic BOB Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:24 am

All the mods that take the box on live get hit by the banhammer eventually.
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Palindromic Bob
Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2009-01-27
TGD Reputation : 63
TGD Elite Member Points : 6772

Back to top Go down

Post  B1G Daddi F Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:53 am

This is what i'm thinking as well...thinking that their victory is short term. Bitter pill to swallow at the moment tho'.

Oh well, back to child labour for the kids, need to sane me pennies up. Crying or Very sad
B1G Daddi F
B1G Daddi F
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:38 am

Yeah i get asked 2/3 times a week if i want my xbox chipping, there are now 2 guys i work with doing it.

Thing is i can remember having a PS1 chipped years ago, and all that happened is i still spent the same amount on games, but ended up with a big pile of games that hardly got played!

As for the banhammer falling, i'm expecting to find one of the guys getting banned sometime in the very near future as he is already playing Modern Warfare 2 and his achievements are already popping up on his profile. Surely this gonna attract the attention of Microsoft!

I'm in no hurry to consider getting mine chipped as i don't buy that many full price games, and think carefully about which ones i'm gonna spend my hard earned cash on.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7254
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13282

Back to top Go down

Post  Virus25061984 Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:33 pm

I think those bans are excellent, I also love how alll those posters got told by the microsoft staff to post on the forum asking why they had been console banned, just for them to have a link posted and the thread closed I love you superb.
Virus25061984
Virus25061984
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Virus25061984
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2009-08-12
TGD Reputation : 9
TGD Elite Member Points : 5535

Back to top Go down

Post  kinglyliam Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:34 am

i can understand while people get there machines chipped with the price of games being so high and with the money troubles in the world, it's so difficult to own the latest games and with the price of modern warfare 2 being £45 to £50 is this the first sign of price increases across the board?

kinglyliam
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : kinglyliam
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-11-03
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 5296

Back to top Go down

Post  wewon5times Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:43 am

I have been told tby someone at work that flashing the disc drive to plac coppied games is wat is happening round my way, seems to work the same but supposidly xbox cant tell. My mate got it done for his lads xbox which got the red rings soon after and xbox repaired it and didnt seem to notice.
Still a big risk to take tho I would be gutted if I lost my gamertag and gamer score for any reason so Ill stick to shelling out 37,99 for the preowned week old games myself.
wewon5times
wewon5times
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : wewon5times
Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 13
TGD Elite Member Points : 5940

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:42 am

kinglyliam wrote:i can understand while people get there machines chipped with the price of games being so high and with the money troubles in the world, it's so difficult to own the latest games and with the price of modern warfare 2 being £45 to £50 is this the first sign of price increases across the board?

so if its difficult to afford something you should steal it?

Back to top Go down

Post  Lighthouseman Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:20 pm

come into work this morning there is a few lads playing the new call of duty ,the thieving buggers.Is it killing the industry , i don't think so.
Lighthouseman
Lighthouseman
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : lighthouseman
Number of posts : 3356
Registration date : 2009-06-19
TGD Reputation : 44
TGD Elite Member Points : 9480

http://Howard.miller@symingtons.com

Back to top Go down

Post  B1G Daddi F Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:54 am

Yep, me m8 is also already playing the new MW2 and luving it, and not caring about the achievement pop ups as he is not a part of live.

He says that the MS firmware scans the hardcoding of the disc in the tray, and there is already a flash to get round this and he will never send back for repair as he repairs it himself.

I've decided that the risk is too great for me, and i will get me games in me own sweet time, and being without Live is a no no.
B1G Daddi F
B1G Daddi F
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  wewon5times Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Being without live is rude and should be punnished with a day in the stocks having rotten food thrown at you.
wewon5times
wewon5times
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post  iFINGER Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:37 pm

Hmmm well I have a professional opinion on this and a personal one.

Professionally, it's a whole load of offences being committed, Copyright fraud, Obtaining property by deception, I can list quite a few including some of the obscure computer/electronic offences.... but I won't but you could be looking at a custodial sentence [Trust me prison is not a nice place, I've first hand experience with inmates and prisons], that is if Microsoft actually chose to prosecute. Oh and not to mention Civil law!! They could sue as well!

In light of this I consider a ban a light punishment.

Personally I can see the lure of chipping and priacy - most people tell themselves "Well they're big corporations" etc etc, but if does fuel so much more.... an example of this are the chinese DVD sellers in pubs - most get their wares from the Snakehead gang, who they have been forced into selling btw the snake head gang are a ruthless triad gang known for kidnap, toture, murder, extortion, rape, human trafficing, robbery, drugs, prositution the list goes on.

Anyway rant over, what was my point again

My point, where there is an illegal trade, there is money and where there is money there is someone very f@*king nasty profiting from it. I have seen this first hand and I want nothing of it.

I'm not saying that these modders are involved in anything like this but i just can't see the difference in downloading the game from a torrent site and going into gamestation and putting a title in your pocket and walking out without paying... bottom line I have integrity and I'm honest - I was raised that way and I'll raise my own kids that way. lol!
iFINGER
iFINGER
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : iFINGER
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-09-28
TGD Reputation : 9
TGD Elite Member Points : 5544

Back to top Go down

Post  wewon5times Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:08 pm

A friend of mine on xbox has had mw2 for overa week and has been playing it online I also saw he had fifa 10 5 days early playing it early, if people make it that easy to see them they deserve to be banned from online.
wewon5times
wewon5times
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:53 pm

Well i've just found out that one of the guys at work who keeps pestering me to flash my 360 has just been hit by the BanHammer! He's been playing MW2 for over a week and was playing a downloaded version of ODST early.

He has decided to buy a new Elite tomorrow and a legit version of MW2 on tuesday, and says he only got his flashed to save money on games!

Guess its probably cost him more now (apparently his wife is rather pissed off at him), also 2 other guys from work have been banned, both of whom got their xbox's flashed recently by him.

I'm so glad i just buy the games i want!
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7254
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13282

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:13 pm

well.. i used to be a pirate myself.. Embarassed but i was never as dumb as to play games on live bfore they are actualy released.. probbly thats why i never got a ban :p anyways.. good thing bout piracy is that its alot cheaper and every single game will cost you around 2 euro... Smile however.. you need realy kickass connection cause games are always around 4gb in size.. if its only 1 dvd.. so youll spend whole day downloading if your net aint top notch, also you must keep track track of firmware updates and update your xbox now and then or youll get baned.. and above all that .. you feel realy uneasy when you hear about ban wave coming :p so i personaly think that flashing your xbox is a bad idea unles you are rly low on cash and you aint afraid to take a risk Cool
PS: i know.. i talk tomuch.. lol
Angel
Angel
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Im EliTE Angel
Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2009-04-17
TGD Reputation : 34
TGD Elite Member Points : 6264

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down