The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need For Speed: Shift. An EA Game.

4 posters

Go down

Need For Speed: Shift. An EA Game. Empty Need For Speed: Shift. An EA Game.

Post  garymason72 Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Need For Speed: Shift. An EA Game. Shift_10

Need for Speed: Shift

An EA game.

Over the last 15 years we have seen 16 different NFS games and up until now they were all based on some form of illegal street racing this is where the most recent incarnation Need for Speed: Shift differs from its predecessors, it’s the first NFS title to be focused on track racing, being a big fan of the series I was really looking forward to seeing how they would take the fun and excitement of illegal racing and transfer it to the track.

The first thing any NFS fan will notice is the lack of a story mode, instead of playing the role of an undercover cop or an outlawed street racer, Shift is all about the driving so the story has given way to a more traditional 'race to unlock harder races' structure, which although being a big departure for the series isn’t a bad thing, it shows a more grown up side of the game. Before getting in to the full career you have to take part in a single race so the game can assign your difficulty and car handling setting, these settings can all be changed throughout the game so don’t worry too much.

The career mode is set in Tiers with 5 in total, 1 being the first and easiest and 5 being the NFS world championships, you can also unlock Invitational events which allow you to race a one off event in the tier above, each tier has its own cars for you to buy with the next tier having more powerful and exotic models on offer, you also have to option of tuning your vehicles so if you find you just can’t let go of that Golf GTI you can add hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of modifications to keep it challenging at the next tier. This is a really nice option because car choice is one of the most important things about Shift; the wrong car will wreak havoc with your driving skills.

There are 5 different types of races in Shift you have standard Race mode, Time attack which gives you a set amount of time on each track to set the fastest lap time but unlike many other games in the time attack mode you aren’t alone on the track so you have to compete for the best line through each corner if you going to win. Hot lap gives you a set time to beat and just a few laps to do it in but unlike time attack you are completely alone here. Drift, like in many games you can choose to use special drift tuned cars for these and Elimination, lap or timed events, the lap elimination removes the racer in last position each lap and the timed removes them in a set time limit leaving an eventual winner.

As well as unlocking new tiers and invitational events each race has 6 stars to obtain, 3 stars for your race position 3 for first, 2 for second and 1 for third and 3 for in race challenges these are usually 2 for a set amount of driver points obtained by precision or aggressive driving and 1 for a miscellaneous task, such as setting a specific lap time, spinning out a certain number of racers, sticking to the racing line or completing a lap of race with no collisions of without leaving the track. As well as the stars to earn there are 4 badges in each of the 21 categories including clean laps and races, clean overtakes, perfect starts and for trading paint with a set number of race opponents, there is a Bronze, Silver, Gold and Epic badge for each.

Need For Speed: Shift. An EA Game. Nfs_shift

Shift also has a selection of 'Boss Battles' in the shape of One on One events these are a best of three, the aim is to beat you opponent to the finish line or get a gap of 5 seconds between you, these are fun and challenging events with each of the bosses having a different personality some are aggressive and will try and ram you off the track and others are more precision drivers trying to out race you to the end.

The online mode is very much as you would expect with standard racing modes for up to 8 racers, like many online racing games this very often turns into a destruction derby style affair but with the right people this game is great online. Also there is new mode here called Driver Duel these are very similar to the boss battles in single player, you aim is to work your way to the top of the online championship through 6 rounds against online opponents. This is a great addition and hopefully one that we will see becoming the norm in many racing games to come.

The graphics on NFS Shift are brilliant with fantastic car modelling, each of the cars are very realistic looking with good light and a very clean style. I have to give a special mention to the interiors, they have obviously paid alot of attention in here with each car having its own interior painstakingly recreated, they all look very authentic with custom dials and even the air vents in the right places. Which is good because you will spend quite alot of time in here with the best driving experience coming from the cockpit camera. Shift also has a good range of tracks with some of the world’s most famous and most challenging venues, including Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Laguna Seca and even the full 13 mile Nurburg Ring Nordschleife beautifully recreated in photo realistic style. Not that you will see much of it travelling at 200kmph.

Unfortunately the biggest let down in NFS Shift is the car handling, the cars tend to slide on every turn forcing you to slow down at every bend or even kink in the track this prevents you from having the confidence you need to take the corners really quickly, rather than aiming Shift at the hardcore racing fan they seem to be stuck in limbo between arcade racer and simulation, I think the game would have worked well as either but does struggle a bit in its current form, but a little tinkering with the car handling in the tuning options can vastly reduce the amount of slide you get but cant totally get rid of it.

Despite the handling issues NFS Shift is a great game and a definite purchase for any racing fan, lovers of the street racing side of the franchise may be a bit put off by the track racing nature of the game but it seems that the more grown up NFS is here to stay and I for one am looking forward to the next instalment. With loads of tracks, some of the world’s most exotic cars including the Bugatti Veyron and Zonda F and the feature packed career mode. There is loads to keep you hooked and also a very achievable 1000 gamer points.

I give NFS SHIFT a very good 8/10 So what are you waiting for? I will see you all on the track!

[/size]
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Garymason72
Number of posts : 2506
Registration date : 2009-02-16
TGD Reputation : 171
TGD Elite Member Points : 8339

Back to top Go down

Need For Speed: Shift. An EA Game. Empty Re: Need For Speed: Shift. An EA Game.

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:53 pm

Great review of a great racing game!

I love the online Vs mode, I even made the quarter finals the other night Very Happy
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13824
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25611

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  palindromic BOB Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Excellent review Gary.

Hey Kent we are becoming more efficient 3 review in 24 hours!!!
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Palindromic Bob
Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2009-01-27
TGD Reputation : 63
TGD Elite Member Points : 6771

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:24 pm

Another top notch review Gary matey

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  palindromic BOB Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:55 am

Any word on any DLC for this?
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:50 am

Another great review Gary, well done mate.

Back to top Go down

Post  palindromic BOB Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:34 pm

Arrr the choices are annoying. this or Dirt 2!
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 am

Well as I am always late to get to a game due to title backlog and waiting till they are cheap, I have just started this game and wow, its fantastic.

The sounds graphics and handling are excellent. Its a genuinely fun racing game

Nice and easy to get to 600 ach points too with the rest being got by grinding, but with the racing this good the grind will not be a bind.

After being numbed into submission by the last car game I played this is such a refreshing change.

And a big plus point for me is that although is has a good multiplayer mode, there are enough offline badges to get to 1000/1000 without needing any online. This is how all game ach should be. Having a way to get some ach either by mp or sp is very cool. This is especially important for an EA title as we all know how they like you to buy next years model too quickly.

If you like racing games of any sort then buy this (then use the adjusted controller settings found on most tip sites) and enjoy an extremeley well put together game.

No annoying soundbytes, great graphics, simple buy and upgrade of cars, plenty of cash prizes to advance your garage and a fabulous racing game engine.

Only bad point for me is the inclusion of drift races which are not a fave of mine, but even then they are well done.

Now if I can just pip Kent Hammers time at Spa I will be sorted!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 pm

Quick heads up tip if you do play this

One of the Medals is given for driving 100 miles in 9 different cars (3 from US 3 from JP and 3 from Eur)

DO NOT SELL ANY CAR YOU HAVE REACHED 100 MILES IN UNTIL YOU HAVE GOTTEN THE OTHER 2 FROM THE SAME REGION TO 100 MILES AS WELL.

If the cars are not in your garage then they dont count

I did 100 miles in 2 different Japanese cars then like the twat that I am sold them. I now am having to do another 3 sets of 100 miles because of it.

Great game this but I think I will be leavin it when I have 15 epic badges (just 2 more to go). Getting 5 more badges to Epic will be a little too tricky/grindy for my liking/skillzorz!

Fun few days on it though

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:44 pm

On reflection this is one of my fave games on the 360 to date.

A really fun and challenging racer.

Car choice is crucial to success.

Now racing online alot and shocked how much I am winning.

the Ferraris DLC and extra 125 achieves is genius!
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:18 pm

I have now got my first online EPIC badge for winning at all the Japanese tracks in a ranked match.
The Ferrari's have really helped me online.

This game is so awesome its a great shame that more of you don't or have never played it.

There are rumors of more DLC to follow and I for one cannot wait!

Come on, someone must be up for a race???????? Crying or Very sad
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:18 pm

PURPLE ALERT, PURPLE ALERT, MUST BUY THIS!

EA has announced an all new downloadable content pack for Need for Speed: SHIFT- the Exotic Racing Series Pack.

In this pack you’ll get 7 brand new cars (listed below), as well as some new events to use them in- time challenges, endurance and sprint races.

Also included is a brand new track, Riviera, that boasts four different track layouts and will test these cars right to their limits; tight corners, blazing straights and a few hairpins thrown in there for good luck.

Additionally, there are 125 achievements points for those who manage to take on these challenges and complete them.

It’ll set you back 800 MS Points and will be released on 18th March.

The cars included in this pack are:

1. Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
2. BMW M1 Procar
3. GUMPERT apollo
4. Honda NSX
5. McLaren MP4-12C
6. Maserati GranTurismo S
7. Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Stirling Moss
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:33 pm

Kent Hammer wrote:I have now got my first online EPIC badge for winning at all the Japanese tracks in a ranked match.
The Ferrari's have really helped me online.

This game is so awesome its a great shame that more of you don't or have never played it.

There are rumors of more DLC to follow and I for one cannot wait!

Come on, someone must be up for a race???????? Crying or Very sad

Ive got it rented from boomerang at the moment - might be up for a race at some point at the weekend, but I will warn you, I am crap lol

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:49 pm

thats cool Loopy! I like winning anyway.
when your ready, I am ready!
Do you have the Ferrari pack?

Here's a Video for the new exotic dlc-
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  D3M0NiZe Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Well,i have the Ferrari pack...looks like i'm gonna have to get the exotic cars dlc to.Recently bought the Microsoft steering wheel and found this game a lot more enjoyable,the handling is spot on now.
D3M0NiZe
D3M0NiZe
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : D3M0NiZe
Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2010-03-07
TGD Reputation : 26
TGD Elite Member Points : 6058

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down