The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need for Speed Shift

+4
CH1LAX
KENT HAMMER
garymason72
Thommo
8 posters

Go down

Need for Speed Shift Empty Need for Speed Shift

Post  Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:09 am

Having seen a few videos for this and reading a couple of favourable posts about the game from folks who have played it (ignoring of course the 24billionty gimps who flame any game by EA), I think I might be buying this sooner rather than later.

I normally wait till things are cheap but in this case I think I will make an exception. I know I want to buy DiRT 2 but the annoyance at the GRiD ach debacle still wrankles with me so I am gonna leave that till its bargain bin price. And I know with all the grief EA have re achs on the NFS series that my last comment might seem a little double standardy, but as I did not spend cash on the NFS stuff before and I did spend on GRiD, its time to potentially give EA a little of my moolah.

So if anyone is/has got/getting this title now and has a real view on what its like, I wouldn't mind knowing what you thought before I lay out my hard earned. The reviews on this forum seem to be much closer to the truth about what a title is like than most places so hopefully someone will be able to give us a good idea if the videos and gameplay match up.

Now of course ideally what I would like is the codies to feel remorse and send me DiRT2 for nowt and EA to pheel da love and send me Shift Smile

Back to top Go down

Need for Speed Shift Empty Re: Need for Speed Shift

Post  Thommo Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:21 am

Don't do it!! Get Dirt 2 instead, honestly matey you won't regret it. The best racer on the 360 by a mile.
Thommo
Thommo
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2009-07-20
TGD Reputation : 32
TGD Elite Member Points : 6702

Back to top Go down

Post  garymason72 Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:28 am

i have to say i agree with Thommo, Dirt 2 is rapidly becoming one of my favorite 360 games ever, they have taken all the good stuff about grid and added loads of new stuff that just make it alot more fun to play both online and offline.

NFS Shift will have to be a very special game to beat Dirt 2, and i just dont see it

not to mention the achievements i have gained 815 points so far in less than a week, that should help your choice Everton

Last edited by garymason72 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Garymason72
Number of posts : 2506
Registration date : 2009-02-16
TGD Reputation : 171
TGD Elite Member Points : 8351

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:48 pm

I'm getting Shift later today Everton, I will give my opinion on this game as soon as I have played a couple of races to get a feel for the graphics and gameplay and of course the achievements.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:51 pm

cheers anarchy matey

looking forward to your views

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:14 pm

EA sent me my review copy today so will get back to you with my intial reactions shortly Very Happy
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25624

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:06 am

Okay lads

I saw you playing it over weekend

Whats teh verdict?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:26 am

Ok here goes everton.

The need for speed franchise has always been about fast cars and this one is no different, the graphics are better than most racers out there and the gameplay and interaction with the AI is brilliantly done, Car control is schemed to that of a real life vehicle.

Generally speaking I would recommend this game to anyone who likes a good racer, more so if they're an avid NFS fan as it's a continuation of their stella work, The cockpit view in my opinion is a top quality view and really does give me the feeling like I am travelling at that speed and when you hit the barrier it does catch you off guard and make you give a shout of excitement or fear (having experience in crashing I can relate to this) the camera blurring and going black and white on crashing is brilliant.

In regards to points I have gotten 525 in this game and only played it friday and saturday so 500+G's in 2 days, if your a good driver then you could easily earn more.

In all honesty everton I would take NFS: Shift over Dirt 2 any day

****EDIT****
On my first play of the game I found myself awaiting each corner and overtake with much anticipation, each drift I had to pull off was eagerly anticipated also, I was amazed at just how excited I was getting with this game, In my opinion (and it's only my opinion) it's at least a 8.5/10 might get more when I take it online to see what that's like
****EDIT****

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:51 am

fantastic

am looking for a cheap deal online now!!

cheers anarchy matey

Back to top Go down

Post  garymason72 Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:14 pm

the car handling on this game is terrible, this is not me flaming EA, probably one of the worst handling games i have ever played, the backend of you car will slide at every turn unless you are going 5 miles an hour. just to give you a bit of a warning if you do buy it.

but the graphics are great and the whole presentation is good, the points are really easy i am currently sitting at 645 after 2 days so not bad, but the last few hundred will be bit of a slog
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  CH1LAX Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi Guys. From what i have experienced online is awsome. Bugatti on nurburg at 200mph+ is insane. Dirt2 online is just a crash/ smah fest. Recommend NFS any day.

There is now a 2nd fix for the sensitive steering/oversteer problem this game exhibits in its default settings. And let me tell you it is a NIGHT and DAY difference.
Please use 2nd fix along with the original thread suggestions on turning down sensitivity in the control options.

I have posted the original sensitivity config here:

Steering Dead Zone-15%
Accel Dead Zone-10%
Brake Dead Zone-10%
Steering sensitivity-5%
Acell Sensitivity -5%
Brake sensitivity-5%
Speed steering Sensitivity 100%

On to the 2nd fix:

At the main menu enter CAR GARAGE----> TUNING, press 'Y' to enter quick tuning mode.
Under the heading 'balance' move the slider all the way to OVERSTEER. That's right oversteer. Apparently the developer labeled this slider wrong or its a glitch. Turning the slider to oversteer will actually add understeer.

Now go drive. as you can see the cars are now more comparible to the feeling of Forza2 and RacePro. It may not be as good but it is now close!

CaptainRexxx Very Happy
CH1LAX
CH1LAX
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : CaptainRexxx
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-01-11
TGD Reputation : 3
TGD Elite Member Points : 5668

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:22 pm

garymason72 wrote:the car handling on this game is terrible, this is not me flaming EA, probably one of the worst handling games i have ever played, the backend of you car will slide at every turn unless you are going 5 miles an hour. just to give you a bit of a warning if you do buy it.

What?? The handling isn't that bad, I've had no problems with it, although I do still and have played many heavy racers with back end slide so am used to this so called Mediocre handling that you all seem to find a bother, to me it just feels normal.

Sorry gary don't mean to bring your post down in any way but everyone's got different styles I suppose, Hope the new fix works better for you.

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:18 pm

@Soulless- You don't actually own DiRT2 do you?? what are you basing this on?

Gary did the official review for DiRT2 and has played SHIFT for hours too, I agree 100% with his view on the handling, its the one black spot on an otherwise great game.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25624

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  garymason72 Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:18 pm

i didnt say anything about mediocre handling, i said it was terrible. for this type of game to have so much slide is unbelievable, if EA are aiming shift at the Forza market here they have missed it by a long shot. this could have been a brilliant game if the handling was better.

i just hope everybody that buys shift is as good at driving games as soulless. i clearly am not
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Kent Hammer wrote:@Soulless- You don't actually own DiRT2 do you?? what are you basing this on?

Gary did the official review for DiRT2 and has played SHIFT for hours too, I agree 100% with his view on the handling, its the one black spot on an otherwise great game.

No I don't own Dirt 2 but not everyone has the same views and one persons perspective of a game can be completely different mate, I was simply saying that I didn't find the problems gary was mentioning not saying that he was wrong but everyone has a different playing style.

garymason72 wrote:i didnt say anything about mediocre handling, i said it was terrible. for this type of game to have so much slide is unbelievable, if EA are aiming shift at the Forza market here they have missed it by a long shot. this could have been a brilliant game if the handling was better.

i just hope everybody that buys shift is as good at driving games as soulless. i clearly am not

I'm not good I'm just much more into my hardcore racing games and have played too many too mention, I meant no offence was just simply putting my views forward... Apologies to anyone I may have upset or offended with my gaming views.

S.A

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:11 pm

Driving games = Evil or Very Mad ........... IMO obviously

*dashes off*

Back to top Go down

Post  PJ RISING Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:02 pm

im going to hire dirt2 had dirt 1 before and loved it. this game is better than shift for me.
PJ RISING
PJ RISING
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : PJ RISING
Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2009-05-08
TGD Reputation : 7
TGD Elite Member Points : 5950

Back to top Go down

Post  BungholioMcOral Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:20 am

I have both games and would say that grid is still the daddy over both of them.
BungholioMcOral
BungholioMcOral
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : BungHolioMcOral
Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2009-06-09
TGD Reputation : 3
TGD Elite Member Points : 5588

Back to top Go down

Post  Artois Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:57 am

Bit worried about this now, was going to get it but think i might rent first to see what it is like, but fingers crossed forza 3 is not a let down:)
Artois
Artois
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : SmoknArtois
Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2009-01-15
TGD Reputation : 40
TGD Elite Member Points : 6209

Back to top Go down

Post  B1G Daddi F Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:15 am

Reviews are good, but left me confused...i'm not going to buy both.

Liked the DIRT demo a lot and managed to finished 1st in both races, which doesn't mean anything, but i adapted to the driving pretty quick seeing as i never played that francise before.

Thought DIRT handling was nice.

Played a lot of NFS, so i am leaning toward that because of the new dynamics that they have brought in...and i think the online will be better.

But will rent first
B1G Daddi F
B1G Daddi F
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : B1G DADDI F
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-17
TGD Reputation : 2
TGD Elite Member Points : 5627

Back to top Go down

Post  garymason72 Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:25 am

I have done nothing to hide my love for Dirt 2, just read my review and you'll see. The demo of Dirt 2 isnt really that good because it only shows you 2 of the worst types of vehicles, the rally cars are by far the best bit of the game.

Shift isnt like the rest of the NFS range, Dont get me wrong NFS Shift is a good game the graphics are great, there loads of real life tracks and there is loads of races to do, my only problem is the car handling which is a little bit off for me, i would recommend that you rent it before you buy it. i bought it and have played it to death this week, hopefully you buy it and get on really well with it but i still struggle with it. i find myself asking 'why havent EA put a demo on Xbox Live?'.
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  B1G Daddi F Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:42 am

Yea... i hear what you're saying and i think that NFS rent this wkend is the plan.

Bit ashamed to admit this, but i think that it's the "shine" of NFS that is pulling me more, which is wrong, i should base me facts of playability...PES or FIFA anyone??

Arggghh..i dunno, ..think i will rent both first and check out the online, and take it from there...seeing as they only gonna carry me until MW2 comes out.

P.s

Gary...Spent most of me time last night trying to catch your challenge room score on Batman, and failing miserably Sad
B1G Daddi F
B1G Daddi F
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  garymason72 Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:47 am

Both are great online to be fair, Dirt is like one big destruction derby with everybody smashing each other, Shift is abit more of a traditional racer online but there is quite a cool one on one challenge mode where you race one on one and work your way up a ladder to the top, then you have to defend you crown, its quite a good idea.

I know what you mean about those rooms in batman i spent most of my time trying to beat other people on my Friends list and failing miserably.
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  B1G Daddi F Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:57 am

Yea,...i'm a more of a racer type person, so thats a big pull...didn't really tackle the colin macraes back in the day either..

Will do what i have to do wkend, and get back to ya's

@Batman...it's fun, but once you get hit once, it's all over..lose ya bonus
B1G Daddi F
B1G Daddi F
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down