The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Velvet Assassin a SouthPeak game

4 posters

Go down

Velvet Assassin a SouthPeak game Empty Velvet Assassin a SouthPeak game

Post  KENT HAMMER Sat May 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Gamerscore Addicts official review of "Velvet Assassin" a SouthPeak game.

Velvet Assassin a SouthPeak game 725px-Velvet_Assassin_banner

Firstly many thanks to SouthPeak Games for sending us this review copy.

Velvet assassin is a full on stealth game featuring the sexy British spy Violette Summer.

Miss Summer's voice does remind me hugely of Lara Croft but she has shorter more wavy hair and has a very slinky figure with a bottom that often hypnotises the gamer when they really should be focussing on the job in hand rather than watching a leather clad bottom arching its way over another wire fence.

To distract you even further there are many dreamlike cut scenes where we see Violette running around in a very short and wispy nightie, but I digress.....back to the story.

Violette is way behind German enemy lines in World War II and your job is to guide her through 12 missions whilst slinking through the shadows taking out German soldiers and Generals who have a strange case of night blindness.

We also get to piece together her past through dream sequences to see what she experienced during her missions. Walk where she walked..... and kill who she killed.

There are two difficulty settings- Normal and Agent... but they are not stackable so you will require a minimum of two playthroughs too get all the achievements.
Also there are a whole series of collectibles and in an almost criminal cruel twist you must get ALL OF THEM in one play to get the collector achievements. Not good and a great shame you can't just replay 1 mission and pick up the ones you missed.

There are also special collectibles to be found along the way and special side missions to complete that unlock 10G or 20G along the way, which was fun to stumble across.

Achievement whores amongst you will probably be pleased to hear there is no multiplayer modes at all. So if your good you will get the full 1000 with some work and probably the odd sneaky peak onto youtube for some of the more tricky locations *-)

At the end of every mission you are shown a ratings screen listing amount of total kills and how many of them were silent etc. Plus how many of the collectibles you found on that mission. So its easy to see if you need to start again or not.

A silent kill involves pressing RB to go into stealth mode and then sneaking up behind jerry and stabbing him in the neck, guts or back and a cool little animation of the struggle. If you do accidentally alert the guard you can press X to go into morphine mode, here you go into a dreamlike state and have a limited amount of time to get to him and hit the kill button. This is also the mode that sees you running around in your way too short nightie (nice).

You can of course elect to just use any gun you picked up along the way or the pistol but you had better make sure you get a first time headshot or the guards will rush you and kill you easily. There is rarely the option to run and gun as you have VERY limited ammo.
At about the halfway stage you acquiree a flare gun and it was great fun and very amusing to see jerry jumping about having a fit while he burnt to death in a illuminous glow like a human torch!

You can also shoot pools of oil on the floor and of course the classic gaming barrels of oil. No wonder there is a shortage in the middle east and the price per barrel continues to rise when most of the worlds oil is packed into bright red barrels and left lying around in video games *-)

At various stages in the game you get to do a bit of a wonder woman and change into disguises to help you sneak past the guards, but don't get too close as they will easily spot that your way too hot to be in the Gestapo!

My fave kill move was to turn off the generals radio whilst he was singing away to it in a nearby room, then when he comes back in to turn it on again stab him in the back.
Also another was to sneak up on an unsuspecting soldier and pull the pin in his grenade as he walks past, then as he approaches his mates KABOOM human confetti and 3 dead Germans.

You can also whistle to attract the attention of enemies which is a nice touch and can save abit of time sometimes instead of waiting and watching there walking patterns.
BUT believe me you will need to spend a lot of time waiting and watching and memorising their patterns to get through to the end.

Overall I have to say this game was very much a mixed bag for me.
I really enjoyed some parts of it and felt a great sense of achievement completing some of the levels. But other times I was going crazy having to repeat a particularly difficult section over and over again.
So if you have enjoyed stealth games in the past and have abit of patience you will really enjoy this game, but if your abit more gun-ho like me and want quick kills and run and gun play then you maybe pulling a few hairs out now and again.

So Isla, what are the scores on the doors tonight???

Ok Larry, the official GSA score for Velvet Assassin is a stealthy slinky 7 out of 10

Thanks for reading this review and enjoy the game,
Kent Hammer

Last edited by Kent Hammer on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13824
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25611

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Velvet Assassin a SouthPeak game Empty Re: Velvet Assassin a SouthPeak game

Post  Guest Sun May 31, 2009 2:59 am

Very good review kent this game literally screams Anarchy Razz Laughing
Kent Hammer wrote:My fave kill move was to turn off the generals radio whilst he was singing away to it in a nearby room, then when he comes back in to turn it on again stab him in the back.
Also another was to sneak up on an unsuspecting soldier and pull the pin in his grenade as he walks past, then as he approaches his mates KABOOM human confetti and 3 dead Germans.
Kent Hammer wrote:To distract you even further there are many dreamlike cut scenes where we see Violette running around in a very short and wispy nightie
Just those 2 scenes alone would keep me playing for hours lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 31, 2009 9:05 am

Good review, its good to have another solid stealth game on the market.

Back to top Go down

Post  garymason72 Sun May 31, 2009 11:00 am

nice one kent, i do quite like the look of this, it has nothing to do with the dream scenes honestly
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Garymason72
Number of posts : 2506
Registration date : 2009-02-16
TGD Reputation : 171
TGD Elite Member Points : 8339

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 31, 2009 12:47 pm

Well done laddie, good review and very humourous in parts.

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:50 am

thanks guys, glad you liked the review! Very Happy
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jameseire85 Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:26 pm

nice review mate
Jameseire85
Jameseire85
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Jameseire85
Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-04-21
TGD Reputation : 43
TGD Elite Member Points : 6731

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:26 am

This great game is only £9.99 now here-

http://www.gamesbasement.co.uk/games-action/xbox-360/velvet-assassin-xbox-360-PD-411.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=marketing_medium&utm_campaign=froogle_feed

I am sure you all want to watch her running round in her flimsy undies Twisted Evil
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  squiddy Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:29 am

i didnt really get on with the game as the checkpoints were a little too far apart and large parts of the game were too dark. Also, the lady that the main character is based on deserves more than to be turned into some sort of murderous vixen. Given that she was a war hero who was tortured, abused and executed by the Nazis.

squiddy
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : peacesquid
Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-05-29
TGD Reputation : 18
TGD Elite Member Points : 5940

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content