The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race Pro a SimBin game

4 posters

Go down

Race Pro a SimBin game Empty Race Pro a SimBin game

Post  Guest Sun May 17, 2009 8:02 pm

GSA OFFICIAL REVIEW OF RACE PRO
Race Pro a SimBin game Race_stripes

This game was donated to us by Swedish developers SimBin and I have spent the last few weeks playing it in order to review, so here it is.

The first thing that will strike you upon playing this game is how it looks, however don't let its graphics put you off as this game possesses depth that some of its prettier rivals can only dream of. This racer from SimBin is a driving sim in its purest form which unashamedly eschews gimmicky features and concentrates on providing one of the most realistic driving experiences on the 360.

In terms of presentation the front end is fairly rudimentary with all the usual game modes included albeit with one notable exception. This being Hot Seat which is in essence a co-op mode. Upon hearing of the inclusion of co-op in this game I got very excited and had visions of tackling championships over XBOX Live with a buddy, however Hot Seat is restricted to offline play and involves you and a friend swapping the controller intermittently whilst competing against the AI opponents. This is a novel approach to co-op which I for one hope SimBin will build upon for any sequel maybe including an online version next time around.

Race Pro a SimBin game Race_pro_viper_front

The two other game modes of note are the now compulsory Career and the really quite enjoyable Championship. The Career mode follows the standardised path of racing to earn credits which in turn unlock more races and importantly new cars. This is important because all cars unlocked in the Career can then be used in online racing and Championship, so its worth playing your way through the Career before tackling other game modes. Each portion of the Career is set into challenges which involve you attempting to beat a lap time to unlock a contract which consists of three races around any of the games thirteen tracks. You start off in the lower powered cars such as the Mini Cooper before building up all the way up to Formula 3000. When playing through these races you have the option of adjusting the difficulty however you see fit as you progress, the Novice and Semi-Pro difficulties are quite easy and selecting either of these will see any gamer worth his salt win every race with plenty to spare. Pro difficulty however is a different kettle of fish with all driving aids switched off and AI opponents considerably tougher. In truth the Career mode becomes something of a grind after a while and once you have unlocked all the cars you won't feel the need to return to it, because of this it's probably best to play through it on one of the easier difficulties as you will unlock all cars regardless.

The most fun to be had in the offline play comes in the guise of the Championship mode which offers up nineteen separate competitions to take part in. In Championship you get the chance to compete in a full race season driving one car with practise and qualifying sessions for each race. This is something which I feel has been sorely missing from a lot of next gen racers and offers a welcome alternative to the humdrum Career mode. Also because you are driving one solitary car through each competition it gives you the opportunity to understand the nuances of each particular model and adjust the set up accordingly.

Once you have played your way through the Career and all Championship competitions you should have sufficient knowledge of all cars and tracks to venture online. I highly recommend that you put in as much practise as possible before attempting any Multiplayer matches as the standards are quite high. Its clear that Race Pro has become the driving title which the more dedicated gamers play online. This is where intrinsic knowledge of every inch of the tracks comes into effect and if you don't know each circuit intimately expect to be left chasing shadows. One thing I have found in Multiplayer is there seems to be less of the reckless almost maniacal driving which is so prevalent in online racers. Its almost as if there's an unspoken code of ethics which comes from people dedicating so much time to learning the tracks and therefore being reluctant to turn online races into the free for all that you get in other driving titles.

The main strength of Race Pro lies in the most important of areas, the handling of the cars. Each vehicle has a suitably weighty feel to it and precise driving skills will be rewarded, anyone expecting instantaneous results will be left disappointed. Obviously the cars at the lower end of the horsepower scale offer a degree of accessibility but Race Pro is a driving simulator so fans of arcade type racers need not apply. When it comes to navigating the more powerful cars such as the Alfa Romeo, BMW and Chevrolet its certainly in your best interests to adhere to racing lines and drive with due care as these beasts are hard to tame, particularly with all driving aids turned off! Don't try and cut corners either as repeat offenders will be forced to the pits for a drive through penalty, which is certainly one way of making you learn your racing lines. Continually taking off road detours and familiarising your car with the barriers will result in the sight of the dreaded spanner icon, which yes you've guessed it means another trip to the pits to tend to your wounded vehicle. All of this may sound off putting to the casual gamer but if you like your racers as close to reality as possible then you've found the right game.

Race Pro a SimBin game Atari-race-pro

One criticism that could be levelled at Race Pro is in the amount of and choice of tracks. There are just thirteen in all and extended play on these will no doubt become increasingly monotonous. There are some classic tracks such as Laguna Seca and Brands Hatch plus some more obscure tracks like Curitiba and Brno. Some of the road tracks which include Macau and Porto are initially infuriating due to their tight, twisty almost claustrophobic layout but like everything else in this game the rewards come from being patient and mastering these arena's of frustration is only a matter of time.

I couldn't let this review go by without mentioning the sound in this game which is unquestionably the best I've ever encountered in a racer. From the tinny whine of the Mini Cooper right through to the guttural growl of the Dodge Viper the realism is second to none, try driving in the cockpit view for the full on experience although doing so may result in sensory overload. It adds so much to the overall driving experience and sets the benchmark for SimBins competitors.

So in summary, Race Pro is a driving experience like no other currently available which deliberately targets the more hardcore driver and makes no excuses for it. If you are willing to put the time and effort into this game you will reap the rewards as it has untold depths which will only be revealed through continuous play. Its not without its flaws and can at times lack flair but this is a promising first release on the 360 from SimBin and I shall look forward with interest to their forthcoming titles.

RATINGS

GRAPHICS 6

SOUND 9

GAMEPLAY 8

LONGEVITY 7

MULTIPLAYER 7

OVERALL 7.5

Last edited by SimonB Demented on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:06 pm; edited 8 times in total

Back to top Go down

Race Pro a SimBin game Empty Re: Race Pro a SimBin game

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon May 18, 2009 11:28 am

Great review mate!
Keeps up the high level of detail we here at GSA demand from our reviews.

I too have really enjoyed playing this quality racer and I am certain that they will continue to improve and add more features thru DLC.

cheers cheers
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13824
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25611

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Artois Mon May 18, 2009 12:02 pm

i've been on the fence about this game for some time, but i think its worth at least a rental. Good review Very Happy
Artois
Artois
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : SmoknArtois
Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2009-01-15
TGD Reputation : 40
TGD Elite Member Points : 6197

Back to top Go down

Post  garymason72 Mon May 18, 2009 12:41 pm

nice review simon, got this on my list of rentals, if i like it i will be getting it.
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Garymason72
Number of posts : 2506
Registration date : 2009-02-16
TGD Reputation : 171
TGD Elite Member Points : 8339

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 18, 2009 12:45 pm

Great review, the championship section sounds very interesting. I loved that in the F1 game for the ps3.

Good work.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jameseire85 Mon May 18, 2009 12:59 pm

Great review fella, very informative and a good interesting read. Well thought out, well laid out, and most importantly very comprehensive. More of the same in future please! cheers
Jameseire85
Jameseire85
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Jameseire85
Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-04-21
TGD Reputation : 43
TGD Elite Member Points : 6731

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content