The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Borderlands 2 Review

+13
TreeMunky
Tenlo
Tricky34
stubbymite
Ba5sett
chrism1066
Thommo
Leigh36295
TheTCD
minkey_monkey
Slayer1189
GrahamOfTheDead
KENT HAMMER
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Borderlands 2 Review Empty Borderlands 2 Review

Post  KENT HAMMER Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Borderlands 2 Review Border10

Borderlands 2
Developer: Gearbox Software
Publisher: 2K Games

Welcome to Pandora, You are truly in for a running, gunning, rooting, tooting and looting experience of a lifetime!

Borderlands 2 is not just a game, its a way of life for me now. If this was an episode of Red Dwarf it would be “Better than Life”, because you just never want to leave.

Today I was playing online with my brother and some mates and we all went the whole day without remembering to eat any food or peel ourselves off the sofa to get a drink or even take a pee!

This game takes grip and does not let go.
Its bigger and badder than the original and I smegging love it!!!

This time around the story is set five years after the original. We have 4 new vault hunters battling to free Pandora from the clutches of the Evil Handsome Jack!
Handsome Jack wants to waken an ancient alien evil only known as “The Warrior”.

Borderlands 2 Review Border11

You can choose to follow the story alone or play upto 4 player online co-op and 2 player split screen or a combo of both. I have played through once on my own where I really drank in all the storyline and laughed at all the awesome jokes and funny shit that happened. Plus I have another play through with a different toon that I use for online co-op goodness.

The characters offer great scope for variety in gameplay and are as follows-

First up we have Axton the Commando whose special ability is his Scorpio Turret that he can throw down and it will unleash all kinds of hell on the enemy while he fires away too!

Borderlands 2 Review Axton10

Secondly we have Zero the assassin who can go invisible for a few second and escape or attack an unsuspecting noob from behind! He has a samurai sword on his back and can cause awesome me-lee damage with this badboy.

Borderlands 2 Review Zerode10

Now onto Salvador the Gunzerker and my personal fave, he is not a people person! Dual wielding mahoosive machine guns and blasting the feck out of everything in his way. Nuff said.

Borderlands 2 Review Border12

Finally there is Maya the Siren. If you like chicks who take no shit with full body tattoo's then she is your girl. But I don't wanna be around when you ask to see her slag tag!! In a blink of an eye she can phase you into another dimension. Gulp!

Borderlands 2 Review Maya10

They are adding a Mechromancer on DLC quite soon and there are rumours of even more toons to follow, Happy days!

You will be pleased to hear that your friend the hilarious Claptrap is back again in this title and he cracks me up! There are even rumours of some chick Claptrap in bikinis, but you have to look hard to find them. Not that I would want to oil their trap for them of course, ha ha.

This adventure is all about killing and looting, always looking for better weapons and shields and mods for yourself. It can be abit of a bun fight when you see a purple drop in the distance and you all run over to claim it first. But sharing and trading is also rewarded as is healing your fellow vault hunters.

In fact this time you get rewarded for virtually everything you do in the form of Badass points!
Kill 100 of those, heal your mates 50 times, get 100 purple helmets, you get the picture.

I loved the first game and this one is far better. Truly my game of the year so far by miles!

In fact I so overchuffed with it that I am going to buy it again on PS3 in the new year just to play it all again. You don't get better than that sunshine!

Drum roll please................I am going to award this new way of life 10 claps out of Trap!

Buy it or live the rest of your miserable weasely existence as just another minion.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Borderlands 2 Review Empty Re: Borderlands 2 Review

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 pm

If I disliked the first Borderlands (just couldn't get into it, no matter how much I tried) is this gonna change my mind?
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11080

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:30 pm

GrahamOfTheDead wrote:If I disliked the first Borderlands (just couldn't get into it, no matter how much I tried) is this gonna change my mind?

No, it really is more of the same, the new characters don't change the core gameplay, so if you didn't like the first you won't like this one.

I on the other hand am drawn into the crazy world of Pandora once more and I concur with the review - well, I did manage to drag myself away from the sofa while playing it!

Back to top Go down

Post  Slayer1189 Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Great review Kent, very unique take on things.

Everyone seems to agree that this is miles ahead of the first game, which is often not the case with the sequel to such a huge selling game. I thought the first Borderlands was a good game (but not a huge fan) however I still found myself convinced the Siren steals hours from your day while you blink!

Personally if this is a huge improvement then i'm definitely going to enjoy this, though i'll be waiting for the mechromancer (seems like a pretty cool/differnet class)

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4894

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Good review chap, short and to the point. I wasn't a huge fan of the original, I just found the running back and forth a pain in the butt... which is odd because I have no problem running from one end of the oblivion map to the other. I may give them a chance again at some point as even though I didn't love playing the game I didn't mind watching it when something was happening as it did have it's comedy moments Smile
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14195

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTCD Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:16 pm

This is easily one of the best games this year for me, and definitely great value for money. I'm apprehensive about the upcoming DLC because I wasn't too fond of it for the first game, but the retail package is solid for sure. Nice summary here, it's unconventional but it definitely sums things up well! Smile
TheTCD
TheTCD
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : TheTCD
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2012-05-10
TGD Elite Member Points : 4826

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 pm

I have to agree with most of the points here. The most addictive game I've played in ages. I'm not ashamed that I played for about 14 hours 2 days in a row because I loved every minute of it. Even just joining a randoms game and helping em is fun even if you've already played the mission a few times. I also had the problem or not eating too. I woke up one day at around 9am and started playing and didnt eat till about 11pm lol. Didn't even notice either. I'm having withdrawal synptoms too Sad. Gonna buy it at some point and get the season pass too Smile
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10113

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:40 am

I love this style of review Kent, nice work.
Looting has never been so much fun! This is now my Friday night beer drinking game with mates.
BTW you never mentioned the sky lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Thommo Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:38 am

Nice review mate. I'm like Graham and Monkey, I couldn't get into the first game at all. It got very repetitive far too quickly and while the co-op was a blast with mates, it was a nightmare with randoms. Is it the same with this game? Suspect
Thommo
Thommo
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2009-07-20
TGD Reputation : 32
TGD Elite Member Points : 6695

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTCD Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:05 am

thommo12 wrote:Nice review mate. I'm like Graham and Monkey, I couldn't get into the first game at all. It got very repetitive far too quickly and while the co-op was a blast with mates, it was a nightmare with randoms. Is it the same with this game? Suspect

It's more of the same really. If it didn't do anything for you the first time, chances are it wont this time, and the randoms issue is still there. I hated playing with randoms in the first game because they would usually drag you through the game way too fast, and if you like to know where you're going and why (like me), and like to share loot, you're not really going to find much comfort with randoms still, because for the most part, they don't care about any of that. It's all very "me, me, me" still.
TheTCD
TheTCD
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  chrism1066 Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:12 am

Great review mate!

I am trying my hardest to get into the first one at the moment and tbh it is growing on me slowly and the more powerful my guy gets the less 'chore like' it's getting which is a good thing!

I'll just stick at it for now and see how it goes
chrism1066
chrism1066
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Chrism1066
Number of posts : 1322
Registration date : 2009-03-04
TGD Reputation : 25
TGD Elite Member Points : 6936

http://z13.invisionfree.com/blue_oval_enthusiast/index.php?act=i

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:00 am

Great review mate looks like a good game, I think I will pick this up once I have completed some of the games I am currently working through (including Borderlands 1 lol)
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9062

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:03 am

I did find the first one slightly boring and repetitive always having to go and hand in missions but I actually enjoyed every second of this one. The fact travel system, from what I remember of the 1st game, seems a lot better, and are usually close by at the end of missions and usually take you straight to the place you need to turn in.
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I tried a shorter more punchy style this time around.

Oh and by the way, the 100 purple helmets are a lie Laughing

Wheeze of the week!
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:56 am

nice review Kent

enjoyed the first one so might just pick this up

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 pm

I noticed the Purple Helmets thing but didn't wanna mention anything.

I played through as an Assassin which is apparently the hardest character, and I did find it challenging a few times and sometimes even died around 20 times on the same 'Badass' enemy, but still enjoyed trying to figure out how to beat him.

Also I played through pretty much the whole game Solo, so goes to show how good the game actually is if I loved it even though everyone says its a game that has to be played co-op.
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:40 pm

great review mate i like the new and to the point style.

This does sound like a great game and i am sure that i would love playing it. Just really need to get through the first one and sit down and pay somne attention to it first before i buy this one. Laughing
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10053

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Would it matter that i haven't played the first game at all? or would it be worth picking up a cheap copy to see if i actually like the gamestyle first?

Could really do with something addictive to get my gaming mojo on!
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13287

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTCD Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:18 pm

You could play this without playing the first and not miss anything crucial, it'll fill you in on any characters or events that might have happened that you need to know about. But it does seem to be a very divisive game, so it might be worth finding a cheap copy of the first to see if you like it.
TheTCD
TheTCD
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:38 pm

DoctorMambo wrote:
GrahamOfTheDead wrote:If I disliked the first Borderlands (just couldn't get into it, no matter how much I tried) is this gonna change my mind?

No, it really is more of the same, the new characters don't change the core gameplay, so if you didn't like the first you won't like this one.

I on the other hand am drawn into the crazy world of Pandora once more and I concur with the review - well, I did manage to drag myself away from the sofa while playing it!

I'd like to revise my earlier position! My friend didn't like Borderlands because he played it solo, but playing Borderlands 2 split screen with me, he enjoyed it. So if you were playing solo before, you might not have been playing it the way it's meant to be played and you might enjoy it more playing with friends rather than random strangers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:58 pm

I read this yesterday but only just had time to reply. A truly classic Hammer review, its a nice change to our more usual style! I'm still slowly playing through this as it's one of the games I do my first playthrough with the girlfriend but enjoying it still and can't wait to max out the badass challenges!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11929

Back to top Go down

Post  TreeMunky Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Hammer time! Tidy review fella. I have the first game, which really didn't get the play time it deserved. Going to get this when life slows down for me. More reviews like this Smile
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6686

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

But you are encouraging me to get even more off the wall, rude, crude and bonkers! Wink
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Stee01 Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:03 am

Nice, short and snappy review. Might pick this up. I did enjoy the first one. Love going around finding better loot.
Stee01
Stee01
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Stee01
Number of posts : 826
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 11
TGD Elite Member Points : 6412

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:54 am

Good review style! Nice and punchy!! If I wasn't having a year off buying games, this would be near the top of me list!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13369

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content