The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review.

4 posters

Go down

Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review. Empty Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review.

Post  Colne Crusader Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review. Dragon10

Format reviewed: PS Vita (PS VITA/PS3 crossplay available).
Published by: Vanillaware
Developed by: Atlus

Dragon's Crown is a side scrolling brawler with RPG elements and plenty of other added depth for good measure.

The game is set in a crisis hit medieval fantasy style world in which the king of Hydeland Kingdom; like many other adventurers, has left to search for the titular Dragon's Crown.  This artifact is fabled to give the bearer power over dragons, which you might imagine, could be reasonably useful. For example, starting a camp fire would become a cinch.........you wouldn't have to worry about burglars stealing your 75 inch plasma, and you wouldn't have to pay for extortionate flights and baggage fees next time you fancy popping over to Benidorm.

When you first play Dragon's Crown, you'll find there are two things vying for your attention. The first is the awesome art style and luscious graphics, and the second is the equally awe inspiring collection of bosoms. Yes, there are some serious shirt potatoes in this game as you can see below.

Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review. Sorcer10

Yes, the over sexualization of the female characters in this game is really over the top. They make Dolly Parton look like Keira Knightley. We've seen this kind of thing before but in this game, it really is turned up to 11 to use a Spinal Tap analogy. It doesn't bother me, but I can appreciate how this will offend some players.

I don't want to dwell on it too much though, because I can't emphasize enough, how gorgeous this game is. Each and every backdrop as you scroll through the game is a masterpiece, and when you couple that with the character design, the stylish animations and other battle effects, you have the most gorgeous game of it's type I have ever seen.

Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review. <a href=Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review. Large10

The sound is similarly impressive. This game sounds stunning on the Vita through some good earphones. The soundtrack is suitably epic and absolutely, haunting, enchanting and uplifting where necessary.

Moving on to the mechanics of the game then......

Dragon's Crown has a predictable premise on the surface. You select one of a series of character classes, choose missions, and hack and slash along.  The whole thing has a great deal of depth however, for many reasons. The Character classes play very very differently to each other. There are a simple set of combat moves which are easy to pick up, but mastering each class, and their unique moves and totally differing skill trees is a lot deeper than most games of this ilk.  In addition to this, the game is packed to the hilt with loot, weapons and accessories to discover, which is just as well as currency is used for many things in this game, and you have to make tough decisions as to how you are gonna spend your hard earned. Wonga is used to resurrect or bury your allies, to continue after death, to pray for assistance bonuses from the gods, to repair your equipment and you even have to pay to appraise any gear you find in the dungeons before you know whether or not it's even worth owning. All this adds a great depth to proceedings. On top of this there is a rune system which you can use to cast powerful spells as you encounter said Glyphs in the environment.

Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review. <a href=Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review. Dc_e3_10

You can play Dragon's Crown with AI party members. Bones found in the dungeons can be resurrected to add to your party, or can be buried in the hope of receiving a special item as reward. The best way to play however, is with 4 player local or online co-op and devise your own tactics.

Simple on the surface but with much depth, this is one slasher that doesn't get tired easily. Multiple paths, mini game sequences, and varied boss tactics, help stave off repetition even more than the aspects already mentioned.

Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review. Dragon11

All in all, a very slick game. Buy it now!!

8.5 silicon implants out of 10
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13387

Back to top Go down

Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review. Empty Re: Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review.

Post  Guest Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:47 pm

good review looks a good game, it is a shame I don't have a PS3 now

Back to top Go down

Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review. Empty Re: Dragon's Crown PS Vita/ PS3 review.

Post  Waggly Bean Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Great review mate, this looks friggin' awesome!

I knew nothing of this game, but scrolling brawlers are a must for me, and the addition of boobies seals the deal really. Razz

Unless I am blind, I think the review is missing a price though. How much is this badboy?
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8558

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:36 pm

Sure, the game has its knockers but I think it looks great!
Nice review buddy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:59 pm

Markav wrote:Sure, the game has its knockers but I think it looks great!
Nice review buddy.
that made me lol despite the predictability. Must have been how you delivered it!

Waggs, its around 27.99 and 36.99 for vita and ps3 respectively. Don't put price on usually as its hard to be accurate as they are usually cheaper than rrp.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:19 pm

nice review matey

I shall await its psplus release Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:16 am

Good work brother.

I too am loving this game on PS3, it truly is cross platform perfection! Very Happy 
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25635

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  TreeMunky Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:48 am

Great review fella. Them some bigger boobies Smile
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6704

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:03 am

£27.99 here and as its now cross play you can download the PS3 version for freeman hardy and willis!

http://www.base.com/-/-/DRCPSV/product.htm?awc=2694_1383040837_acb7a08b7b8774186a6aa0d04226d8ee
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Colne Crusader wrote:
Markav wrote:Sure, the game has its knockers but I think it looks great!
Nice review buddy.
that made me lol despite the predictability. Must have been how you delivered it!

Waggs, its around 27.99 and 36.99 for vita and ps3 respectively. Don't put price on usually as its hard to be accurate as they are usually cheaper than rrp.
My mistake, I didn't realise it was retail! Embarassed 
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8558

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:24 pm

‘Twas the week before Christmas, and all through the house,
No DualShock was stirring because you didn’t know there was a new Dragon’s Crown patch out.
The players are all partying in the tavern with cheer,
Because “Holy Crap!” a new difficulty level and dungeon are here!

I’m fairly certain that’s how that poem begins, and I refuse to accept any corrections to it.

It’s been a while since Dragon’s Crown launched, but we haven’t stopped working to make it better. We added cross play, improved the game balance, and tweaked many things to make the game even more fun. You would think we were done by now, but today we have a true holiday miracle for you: another brand new feature. So knock the cobwebs off your Fighters, Elves, Wizards, and the rest, because we’re adding in a lot of new content with The Fifth Dragon’s Crown Patch.

If you’ve ever played a Vanillaware game before (Odin Sphere and Muramasa: Rebirth spring to mind), you know the brutal difficulty the games are known for. We got the impression that a lot of people didn’t feel Dragon’s Crown was hard enough on the way to level 99, so now there’s a brand new Ultimate difficulty level. After you clear the ninth layer of the Labyrinth of Chaos, you can access the new difficulty in the Temple.

So what’s it do? Well, it makes things harder, for one. But harder monsters mean players need to be better, stronger, and faster, so we’re raising the level cap from 99 to 255. You read that right, you now have 156 levels to grind out.
Dragon's Crown, 04Dragon's Crown
“But that’s a lot of grinding the same levels over and over again,” you’ll say. Well, we have you covered there, too! Once you’re on Ultimate difficulty, there will be a new dungeon unlocked, called the Tower of Mirages. It’s randomly generated and it has tens of thousands of levels. TENS. OF. THOUSANDS. I say this with all sincerity, since I know some of you are going to try to KO it: “Good luck.”

Finding it hard to give up your maxed-out Dwarf to start a new character? We fixed that too (sort of). As long as you have a save file with the Story mode cleared, you can make a new character that skips over that part and leads straight into the Talisman collection quest. Now there are no excuses for not making alts!
In addition to all that, we threw in a few other improvements for gameplay stability and various other tweaks to controls, NPCs, and character skills.
So go forth this holiday season and enjoy all the new stuff from Dragon’s Crown!
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Sweet. Nice to see them support the game like that. I've got loads to do in this yet.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down