The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sonic Generations....a Sega/Sonic Team game

5 posters

Go down

Sonic Generations....a Sega/Sonic Team game Empty Sonic Generations....a Sega/Sonic Team game

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Sonic Generations....a Sega/Sonic Team game 5631797900_06bd22fb7d

It's hard to imagine that 20 years ago, Sonic the Hedgehog was the new guy on the scene. The original games on the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis for our cousins on the other side of the Atlantic) were massive successes and still hold up today in terms of playability and challenge.

It's fair to say though that in recent years Sonic has not had the best of times. It seems ever since Sega pulled out of the console market Sonic hasn't been able to catch a break and his most successful appearances have probably been teaming up with one-time rival Mario in the Olympic titles from Nintendo. His solo outings getting a mixed reception at best.

So here we are now 20 years down the line and after several false dawns, could Sega have finally nailed a new Sonic title?

Sonic Generations....a Sega/Sonic Team game Sonic_generations_1

The answer is a not-entirely-resounding yes...kind of.

Sonic Generations is basically a 'greatest hits' collection of the last two decades. You name a Sonic game, chances are it's represented here.

The 'plot' finds modern Sonic celebrating his birthday when a monster appears and sucks Sonic and his friends through holes in time. While searching for his friends Sonic and Tails run into younger versions of themselves. With time being destroyed, both Sonics use their speed to restore time by racing through various points of their history.

Each of the zone has two acts, one for classic Sonic played entirely in 2D and one for modern Sonic which mixes 2D and 3D gameplay.

The 'classic' levels are an absolute blast to play and make you wish the entire game was done the same way. This is what Sonic 4 should have felt like. In these sections the game plays exactly like it did back in the day with a few modern graphical twists. Run from A to B collecting rings and avoiding spikes and other perils.

The 'modern' levels while fun, are less successful. While there are moments of greatness when tearing through Green Hill Zone and the like at top speed and when it reverts back to 2D there are some issues. One of the biggest problems with 3D platformers is that sometimes it is very hard to judge a jump and that is unfortunately the case here. Sometimes you don't even see a gap until you're plummeting to your doom. The controls are also a little harsh with the window to perform a move being so miniscule on occasion that you'll spend a lot of time unintentionally diving in to oblivion. You'll be getting frustrated a lot more than you'd like to.

Sonic Generations....a Sega/Sonic Team game Sonic-Generations-Seaside-Hill-Modern-Sonic

The game looks and sounds stunning at times. Although there is sometimes a lot of pixelation during some cutscenes, the actual levels themselves are extremely bright and colourful or dark and dingy when they need to be. Also the various versions of Sonic theme music from over the years is great.

The games length may be another cause for concern. Playing through the various zones, boss fights and challenges to finish the game could probably be done with a decent amount of skill in about 4-5 hours. However there is a lot to do. Gaining an S rank on all stages will take some time, as will completing all the challenges with both versions of Sonic. There are also red rings hidden accross all the main zones which you'll not get on your first run through. Completing the game to 100% will take some doing.

There is no multiplayer aspect to this game, but there are two online modes. Ranking attack requires you to complete a level as quick as possible, while 30 second trial sees you try to get as far as you can through a level before the time runs out. If you have friends with this game look out for their times represented by signposts throughout the levels. Both modes have leaderboards which will no doubt see you having 'just one more go' to try and move above your mates.

Achievement wise, the majority of the gamerscore will come from simply playing through the game, but there are a lot of achievements for doing things like completing challenges fulfilling certain requirements in different stages and gaining S ranks. At the time of writing there are also a couple of achievements which are apparently glitched for some players.

Overall, Sonic Generations is almost great. If the game had concentrated solely on the 2D levels and expanded on that, then it would have been fantastic. Unfortunately the problems with the 3D sections hold the game back. That said, the game still has a lot going for it. There is a lot to do once you've finished the story and the potential competitiveness of the leaderboards will keep you coming back for more.

7.5/10
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11085

Back to top Go down

Sonic Generations....a Sega/Sonic Team game Empty Re: Sonic Generations....a Sega/Sonic Team game

Post  Ninja Yaro Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Nice review mate, I was thinking of picking this up but might just rent it instead now, I wasn't too interested in the 3D sections and after hearing about the various problems I can see myself not enjoying those sections too much. I really wish we could get another good 2D sonic game.
Ninja Yaro
Ninja Yaro
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Ninja Yaro
Number of posts : 2009
Registration date : 2010-05-29
TGD Reputation : 49
TGD Elite Member Points : 7210

Back to top Go down

Sonic Generations....a Sega/Sonic Team game Empty Re: Sonic Generations....a Sega/Sonic Team game

Post  KENT HAMMER Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Good work Sir! Very Happy
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25622

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Not the classic I was hoping for. Nice review though mate

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:41 am

good review mate i may look at this for my next rental looks pretty good to me. Love playing the sonic games always have Smile
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10058

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:43 am

Good review. I'll be getting this at Xmas as myboy is a huge SOnic fan.
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11934

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum