The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kung Fu Panda 2

+3
Leigh36295
MysticalMarmite
Tricky34
7 posters

Go down

Kung Fu Panda 2   Empty Kung Fu Panda 2

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:37 am

Kung Fu Panda 2   7ee62310

Kung Fu Panda 2

A THQ Release

Here we have the second Kung Fu Panda game which has been released to coincide with the second Kung Fu Panda movie.

The first game and movie I thought were excellent. They had wit, they had charm and they had fantastic graphics. So when the sequels were released and Kent asked me to play and review the game I jumped at the chance.

I have made a schoolboy error!

For KFP2 the developers have decided to switch from the normal 360 controller to using Kinect. I enjoy Kinect and so for me this was supposed to be a bonus. Every Kinect release I have played so far has been fun, if in most cases a little bit limited and samey. However having now dragged myself through KFP2, those other releases look like 5 star mega games.

KFP2 has 2 distinct sections. I am not sure whether the developer thought the 2 meant 2 sections or not but anyway there are 2 none the less.

The first is the traditional Story Mode.

Here you learn about how to control Po the giant Panda of Kung Fu fame. For the first 30 minutes you get taken through a series of exercises in blocking and punching and jumping. All pretty normal for a tutorial except its spanned out over several levels which means you basically are standing there for half an hour doing very little apart from the odd arm movement.

Throught the story mode you go from one location to another and fight Dragons and Gorillas and in between you have a couple of side games of throwing things.

Kung Fu Panda 2   7d6cfe11

The fights are all the same. You punch and kick when on the attack and you block and swerve when you are told to defend. Its the exact same proceedure from start to finish. It does not even get any tougher really except for the fact that you know it is soul destroying and so the difficulty in keeping going does get harder!

So the fighting is dull and has 2 extra pointless features. Not sure if the developers thought with it being called KFP2 that they had to add 2 features but there you go. When you get to a certain point in the fight you can sometimes call in one of the friends of Po to do a finishing move. You do this by calling out the name on screen. There is no mention of this in the tutorial and I wont read a manual so unless you are aware you might not get that done! Later in the game you are praying for this option each time as it speeds up the fight and therefore relieves the boredom for a moment. The other feature is that Po has a finishing move that you activate when an enemy is on its last legs. You dont get anymore points/fun/ach by doing it and once you have seen all of them its yet another repetitive aspect to contend with.

Talking about repetitive aspects the narrative and speech in a game to me are important. I always know a game is going to be dross if I hear the same soundbyte over and over. In KFP2 I was hearing repeats within the first 10 minutes.

Kung Fu Panda 2   9993e410

The 2 side games, I am not sure whether the developers thought the 2 in KFP2 meant they had to do 2 side games but hey ho, consist of thowing bowls noodles at tables to feed animals and throwing rocks at crocs on a roof. The noodle part is tough because the actions they have devised for the controls just dont work and its rather frustrating. The rock throwing is better but still brings little joy.

I guess the developers must have played a couple of early Kinect titles too as the obligatory driving and steering by leaning section is present. Its utter garbage too so nice to see it in keeping with the rest of the game.

Kung Fu Panda 2   A40afa10

Once you have forced your way through the short story mode you will have unlocked all the sections of freeplay very much like the ToyStory3 game.

These free play sections are just replays of the levels of the story but with the added exitement of trying to get medals by doing the activity well.

So what we have is a game devoid of any personality when its based on a movie where the central character Po's personality is the whole point of the film. The graphics are dreadful and have lost all the beauty of the first game. The soundbytes are lame and unfunny and repetitive. But even with all that you just might have been able to extract some pleasure from this game except for one almighty failing in the fact that the controls are so bad.

Kinect is wonderful but if you are unable to programme for it then please dont bother. The game cannot pick up some movements vital to it and you find yourself blocking an attack perfectly in your living room but the giant panda on screen is not doing what you are doing. Its a combination of dreadful lag and poor tracking of hand movement. Couple that with the noodle game that ends up being nothing short of random as it fails to pick up 50% of your actions and we have a Kinect title that does not work. Now I know Kinect does work so the blame is solely on the developers.

Ach come regularly through the story mode, but the majority will be gained through free play if you can stand it. I will play on until I get a decent amount, but I am not looking forward to doing so. In free play the controls are so bad its actually difficult to select the level you want to play ffs.

So is the 2 because its a sequel?
Is it because it has 2 modes?
Is it because it has 2 features?
It is because it has 2 side games?

no

The reason is clear.....

2/5

Last edited by Everton on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Kung Fu Panda 2   Empty Re: Kung Fu Panda 2

Post  Tricky34 Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:45 am

Nice review Everton matey.

It a shame cos i really enjoyed the first game too, and would have looked forward to boosting the points out of this.

Still don't own a Kinect, and i'm not in any rush to get one yet. So i guess thats me out!
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13302

Back to top Go down

Post  MysticalMarmite Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:49 am

totally agree, its a pain in the ass. my kinect picks up my movements in any other game but for the life in me wouldnt block over head... Evil or Very Mad

It was a pain of a game, quick fight, storyline.. The storyline is longer than the actual game play... I just did the fight, sat down for 5 minutes while the story blah blah'd on. Then up again for a quick 2 minute fight if you are lucky, then sit...

It got a day and a half of tray time and went right back to Lovefilms,
MysticalMarmite
MysticalMarmite
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : MysticalMarmite
Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2011-01-10
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 5314

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:08 am

On that note, I'm off for a number two... Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:16 am

Good review Smile.

I really enjoyed the first game, was one of the most fun ones I whored during the GSA comp.

Was considering trying this, but now I'll steer clear.
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10128

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:36 am

thanks fer the rep leigh

if you are trying for ach points then its still one to add, but its nothing like the fun of KFP1

shame as THQ are one of my fave publishers and Dreamworks are brill. The devs here have done neither of them any favours

Be nice to see if they could patch the controls and then at least the game would be playable. Its odd as it picks up the feet movement fine and the side arm blocks fine, but overhead and noodle bowl actions are utter garbage

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:38 am

Good honest review. Very Happy
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25632

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:57 am

Nice review mate, seems like a bit of a missed opportunity after the last game; its a shame that so many games which are tied into films or aimed at a younger market end up so lame
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9077

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:09 pm

They should have stuck with a control pad, probably would have been an alright game then.
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14210

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:48 am

Well devised review mate! Very Happy Shame it's yet another movie Tie-in that stinks but will probably sell more copies than some great original IP's.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13384

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Good review bud quick question if you was a 5 year old would you enjoy it or should I tell him carry on with Kinect sports Question

Back to top Go down

Post  MysticalMarmite Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:12 pm

I cant see a 5yr old enjoying it tbh, its a lot of story and a little of the action, I would see them getting bored, grab Carnival Games for Kinect instead, tons more fun and will keep them amused for ages...well it kept me amused for a while lol clown
If he likes Kinect Sport then Kung Fu Panda will be painfully slow for him
MysticalMarmite
MysticalMarmite
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : MysticalMarmite
Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2011-01-10
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 5314

Back to top Go down