The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sega Rally Online Arcade - XBLA

4 posters

Go down

Sega Rally Online Arcade - XBLA Empty Sega Rally Online Arcade - XBLA

Post  Colne Crusader Sun May 29, 2011 10:51 pm

Sega Rally Online Arcade - XBLA Images32

Publisher: Sega
Developer: Sumo Digital
Price: 800 MSP
Release Date: May 18 2011
The early to mid nineties were a great time for arcade going racing fans! Thanks to new and greatly improved 3D technology, a series of now classic racing games began to emerge. Sega were at the forefront of this with 1992's Virtua Racer, which was a great leap forwards from previous attempts at realistic 3D by games such as Hard Drivin'. Then in the mid nineties games like Ridge Racer, and Daytona USA wowed gamers with their brightly coloured visuals! Sega Rally was amongst this classic group of games that could be found in amusement arcades and parks everywhere!

Sega Rally Online Arcade is based upon the recent Sega Rally 3 arcade machine. Here we have a pure arcade driving experience. Realism is thrown right out of the window in favour of high speed racing action. The big and colourful graphics draw you in instantly, and the game is so easy to pick up and play. This is the gaming equivalent of slipping into a warm bath after a five hour trek through a blustery winter downpour. You'll be blasting round the track in no time.

Sega Rally Online Arcade - XBLA Sr3-sc11

As i've mentioned, this is basically an arcade machine for your Xbox. The game's physics lean totally towards the arcade experience. You can slide round most of the game's corners with ease, you'll bounce off other cars and roadside obstacles and continue along your way. You can even adjust the car slightly in mid-air! It's really quite hard to crash! That's not to say the game is a breeze because it's not. Sega Rally games can be notoriously hard on higher difficulties, and in order to beat the AI and perform well on the leaderboards, you will have to learn each track, drift well, employ a good racing line and avoid puddles. Another tactic is provided by the deformable terrain. It's sometimes better to drive in an existing tyre track for more grip than to perhaps follow the ideal line, although this feature is not particularly prominent in this version compared to the full retail release of Sega Rally. All the cars are fairly similar to drive too. There are slight differences, and some will be more useful than others on different tracks, but they are all easy to pick up and drive. Rubber banding is also present in this game, love it or hate it!! This is where the game alters the AI progress depending on how you are doing, ensuring you always have a chance to catch up.

Sega Rally Online Arcade - XBLA 1026_010

Graphics:
The visuals are bright and appealing as i've already mentioned, but don't expect too much detail compared to modern retail releases. They are very acceptable for an arcade title. There are some nice mud effects as the cars become caked in the stuff as they negotiate certain tracks. There are quite a lot of track-side features too. I suspect the frame rate is a little low. My research suggests 30fps, but it seems pretty adequate overall. There are no vehicle damage effects.

Sound:
Nothing too impressive. Typically forgettable rock tracks that you might expect in this type of game. I turned them down in the audio menu straight away. The engine noises are non too great either.

Features:
This is the game's downside. I've already mentioned that this is an arcade game for your Xbox, and here you get little more content than you would from an arcade machine. Thirteen cars in total doesn't seem too bad, but only five tracks to choose from is quite sparse.

The single player Championship mode is a four track series against the AI. Then there is "Quick race", which allows you to quickly practice any track with one of eleven cars. Some cars need to be unlocked through play which adds a touch of longevity. There is also the usual "Time Attack" mode. Finally there's "Classic mode". Here you choose from one of two classic rally cars, and race a single AI opponent on a classic Sega Rally course.

Multi-player is catered for with a head to head local mode, or a simple online lobby system where you race one track at a time and then return to the lobby to select the conditions for the next race. There are no levelling up systems or statistics.

The Leaderboards are the game's main draw. Competing with your friends' times, or the best drivers in the world is what this game is all about.

The achievements provide quite a challenge, but it is a very achieveable 200.

And basically that is it. Not too much content at all. Having said that however, the game is only 800msp, so it's not all that bad.

Sega Rally Online Arcade - XBLA Sroasc10

Summary:

Overall, i'd say this is a great little game. It provides great arcade action and the Leaderboards provide a level of addiction. If you love Sega Rally, you'll enjoy this game. Other driving fans may be put off by the simple physics. I know driving fans can be very fussy about which types of driving games they will play.

This is by no means an essential purchase. There is nothing new here and not a great deal of content. The graphics aren't overly amazing, but you will still enjoy looking at it, and, as an Arcade title for 800msp it provides plenty of fun for your money. You could do a lot worse.

Overall score: 8 out of 10.

Last edited by Colne Crusader on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spotted a punctuation error!)
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13369

Back to top Go down

Sega Rally Online Arcade - XBLA Empty Re: Sega Rally Online Arcade - XBLA

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Sun May 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Nice work mate......may pick this up if it's ever part of a 'Deal of the Week'.
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11080

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon May 30, 2011 10:48 am

Nice honest review.

I would actually score this game a little higher and its one of my all time fave arcade games so far Very Happy
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 30, 2011 10:53 am

I would say it's the best racer we have on xbla and for 800points it's a steal it only lacks content good review bud Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Mon May 30, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks guys! I almost gave it an 8 as it is a great play, but I just think the lack of content is quite detrimental to it really. I didn't think it was quite as good as other games that would be worth an 8. This is why I prefer a percentage based score for more flexibility i guess.

Even if they just added a couple more tracks, i would have given it an 8 or more. As it stands, it's bordering on being quite a lazy conversion, even considering the price. It's just not quite as good as Outrun in my opinion. Smile

Playability wise it is hard to beat though. I can understand why you like it so much. I do too.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Right! guys!

I scored this game a 7.5 originally, and ever since, i've wondered if that was the right decision. I played the game thoroughly before review, and decided that it was far too light in content to warrant an eight.

I have decided, however, after literally months of deliberating, that I will upgrade my score to an 8. Not much of an increase in a way, but I think if you see a "7" in the score, you maybe think of "Just above average", whereas an 8 makes you think "Decent", and the gameplay of the game is certainly way above average.

In hindsight, I think i maybe did the playability an injustice!

Hope this helps!

Thanks!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:58 pm

That's the problem with giving a game a decent review while the game is still fresh bud many times now looking back on old reviews I would change the scores after playing it for say 2 months

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:01 pm

I've always like the fact that a 7 is classed as average nowadays when technically it should be a 5!!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11929

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Tenlo wrote:I've always like the fact that a 7 is classed as average nowadays when technically it should be a 5!!

Yeah, i often thought that myself! A five is classed as pretty poor. A "Jumper" type affair!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:59 pm