The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Achievements opinion...

+8
Tricky34
minkey_monkey
RabidHellBunny
Ninja Yaro
KENT HAMMER
SaNdMaN
Tenlo
Stucowie
12 posters

Go down

Achievements opinion... Empty Achievements opinion...

Post  Stucowie Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:45 am

I was just looking at my achievements and something came to my attention... cheevo whores like us (deffo looking at you kent.. lol) look at the cheevo's and read what you have to do, to get them... But I kinda think this takes the fun out of achievements....

I would prefer it if it had the name of the achievement, but not a description of HOW to get it..? Some of them are obviously self explanatory (looking at the PES cheevos, LONG RANGER etc) and then once you've got the achievement it tells you how you got it...

So it would actually be an achievement on getting cheevo's because on some, like SERIOUSLY on GOW, you wouldnt know how to get it, unless you know someone who has it and then they told you... Ok, maybe using the SERIOUSLY one was a bad example, cos it IS an achievement if u get it cos of the massive grind, but you know what I mean...

I am not a fan of the secret achievements TBH, but I do think some fun needs to be put back into the system.. Take away the description of the cheevo until its unlocked....

What you guys think?
Stucowie
Stucowie
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Stucowie
Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2010-10-27
TGD Reputation : 59
TGD Elite Member Points : 6025

http://gamingbyt-bo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Achievements opinion... Empty Re: Achievements opinion...

Post  Tenlo Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:22 am

See I've approached from a different angle. I know how bad my cheev whoring is, so I have a quick check to see if a game needs more than one playthrough to finish, or if you can mop up at the end. If this is the case then I tend to play through once ignoring the list and just enjoying the game and the story and then use a second playthrough to mop up any missed cheevs.

Also it often depends on what the developer has done with their cheevs. Some of them do tend to write quite cryptic descriptions to their cheevs. Others just put what is required. As for secret cheevs they tend to be story related so that if you do look through the list, the story isnt given away
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11936

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:29 am

I Always look at the cheeble list when booting up a new game, i can't help myself lol
Tho i am like Tenlo in the 1st playthru i will play the game properly and gain what i can, often going back for a 2nd turn with the list of things i need to do next to me so i dont miss any cheebles... doesn't always work that way tho lol

Back to top Go down

Post  SaNdMaN Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:39 am

It's definitely more fun when they pop up unexpectedly, but when there's a big one, say 100G, I always look to see what I have to do to get it, as they're usually the more time consuming ones.
SaNdMaN
SaNdMaN
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : LNG SaNdMaN
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-01-29
TGD Reputation : 1
TGD Elite Member Points : 4874

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Hey Lerxst,

Who is the guitarist in your profile pic? Where in Kent are you?

@ Stu, I am not that much of a whore compared to mambo, ruff and Everton!

I play thru the first time for fun, but always start every game getting all the easy achieves out the way and if it requires completing on every difficulty I won't play it at all.

Also if a game has a glitched achieve like Naruto I won't play it at all.

Also getting all online achieves early on is now a priority.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25624

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:23 pm

I like them if they come natuarally through playing the storyline on a title

Sadly though a lot of devs think of odd things to do to get the achs and so checking out whats what at the start is essential if you like to max the titles

In an ideal world for me all ach would be offline and story related, so that you could get 1000 by finishing a game once. These non stackable multiple play thrus are as a rule annoying (apart from Hitman where it actually was a great idea)

Back to top Go down

Post  Ninja Yaro Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Kent hammer wrote:
Also getting all online achieves early on is now a priority.

I've started doing this as well, since most online achievements tend to be fairly tedious and with games like Dead Rising 2 no one seems to play multiplayer anymore so I'm glad I got them out of the way early.

also have some rep Kent for helping me out last night when I couldn't log in due to me being a complete moron.
Ninja Yaro
Ninja Yaro
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Ninja Yaro
Number of posts : 2009
Registration date : 2010-05-29
TGD Reputation : 49
TGD Elite Member Points : 7212

Back to top Go down

Post  SaNdMaN Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Kent, I'm in Bexleyheath. The guitarist in the pic is Alex Lifeson from Rush. His nickname is Lerxst, hence the gamertag.

I'd encourage anyone who's into their rock music to check them out. Awesmome band.
SaNdMaN
SaNdMaN
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : LNG SaNdMaN
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-01-29
TGD Reputation : 1
TGD Elite Member Points : 4874

Back to top Go down

Post  RabidHellBunny Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm weird with achievements and I think secretly it drives Mambo mad!

I won't look at the achievement list or guide until i am well into the game, I try and do at least one play through without looking. I also leave the easy one's until last! I'll always try for the hardest first and hope the easy ones pop while I'm doing it.

I do find that grinding or boosting for achievements completely takes the fun out of it for me.

RabidHellBunny
RabidHellBunny
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : RabidHellBunny
Number of posts : 3375
Registration date : 2009-03-26
TGD Reputation : 141
TGD Elite Member Points : 9143

Back to top Go down

Post  Ninja Yaro Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:22 pm

Lerxst wrote:Kent, I'm in Bexleyheath. The guitarist in the pic is Alex Lifeson from Rush. His nickname is Lerxst, hence the gamertag.

I'd encourage anyone who's into their rock music to check them out. Awesmome band.

I didn't realise that was Alex Lifeson, my dad's a huge Rush fan, I actully like some of their stuff as well but I've never been a huge fan of Geddy Lee's vocals. Really talented band though and Neil Peart is a great drummer.
Ninja Yaro
Ninja Yaro
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Ninja Yaro
Number of posts : 2009
Registration date : 2010-05-29
TGD Reputation : 49
TGD Elite Member Points : 7212

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:29 pm

i must be getting old as the need to achieve hunt has started to pass Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm rubbish at achievement hunting... every now and then I will feel the need to go on a cheev hunting session and check what I need to get using the list.

But most the time I just start playing the game and get them as I go along.

I don't usually have the will power to try and get a full 1000 on most games because it frustrates me when I have to repeatedly do something,

I usually only check on Cheevs if it's a game we've had for a while or one I have to give back quickly (like Game share) or one I'm not really into.

There are some games I have started and really not got on with them at all. I'll usually have a look at the list then to see if I can get more cheevs quickly or if I should just give up before feeling the need to bash my head against a wall (Like Saw really didn't like that game).

Secret Cheevs do annoy me though.
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14202

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:20 pm

i go though the game on easy then try again to get the acheavments 1st time so i know what to look for however games like saw with more ending id go though on hard as i know id have to do it to get all but by time i done it once i norm get about half way and get board so never finsh it till i go back a year or so later lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:37 pm

It depends on the game for me. If i pick it up cheap purely for the cheevo's then i'll look at a guide and play it through trying to bag as many as possible!

Where as If i pay full price for a game, i like to at least play it through properly before i start achievement hunting. Though i still usually end up having a quick look through the achievement list first!
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13294

Back to top Go down

Post  harry haddack Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:51 pm

first thing i do is to look at the cheevo's list. I have even looked online before i have a brought a game.
I like to look incase there's cheevo's for 50 kills with each weapon or headshots etc so i can work on them while i play the game.

I hate games where completion difficulity does not stack and you have to play the game 3 times to unlock the cheevo's.well i just never bother i don't mind doing it twice.

harry haddack
harry haddack
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : harry haddack
Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2009-01-17
TGD Reputation : 17
TGD Elite Member Points : 6711

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:15 pm

I can't help but look at the achievement list before I play. I can't bear the thought of spending hours playing through a game only to find there's a cheev that i've missed and the only way to get it is to play through the entire game again. I've got far too many games to get through and not enough life left to make that mistake!!!!! Smile

I love achievements that make you play the game in a different way. That always adds to the fun! Valve are the masters of good achievements!

Can't stand secret achievements that aren't story related, half of them are just too obscure to figure out for myself!

Hate collectibles achievements. There's nothing worse than getting motion sick from spinning round rapidly while you search every nook and cranny for a hidden monkey/flag/feather/intel item/condom, whatever! I really enjoyed Medal of Honor for it's refreshing lack of collectibles!!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13376

Back to top Go down

Post  MysticalMarmite Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 pm

i go on the 360voice site occasionally and join a challenge then I hunt for the achievements lol. Other than that I play through and am happy with what I get. Though recently I've been looking at what games have what achievements left as I want to try and complete some games.... not getting right far though lol Rolling Eyes
MysticalMarmite
MysticalMarmite
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : MysticalMarmite
Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2011-01-10
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 5306

Back to top Go down

Post  billposter Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:34 am

i'm happy just to be able to play a game....finishing one would be nice from time to time...maxing the cheev's is sadly just an out of reach fantasy for me though...lol
billposter
billposter
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : billposter
Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2010-07-14
TGD Reputation : 5
TGD Elite Member Points : 5167

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum