The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rock Band 3 - A Harmonix/MTV Games/EA Games release

5 posters

Go down

Rock Band 3 - A Harmonix/MTV Games/EA Games release Empty Rock Band 3 - A Harmonix/MTV Games/EA Games release

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:37 am

Rock Band 3 - A Harmonix/MTV Games/EA Games release Rock-Band-3-Logo
Music games have come under a bit of stick of late. The genre ultimately peaked in around 2007 thanks to the massive success of Guitar Hero 3 and the introduction of Rock Band. Since then though, it would be fair to say that there's been a bit of oversaturation of the market. 8 Guitar Hero titles and a further 4 Rock Band games (not including the trackpack discs that were released) in less than 3 years.

Any music game that comes out these days has to do something different to stand out. Activision attempted this with the latest Guitar Hero title, Warriors of Rock, by tacking on a quest mode with a bizarre fantasy storyline. Now it's Rock Band's turn....and with Rock Band 3 Harmonix have gone in the completely opposite direction and have ramped up the realism. They've also knocked it right out of the park.

Rock Band 3 - A Harmonix/MTV Games/EA Games release Rock-b10

On the face of it, Rock Band 3 is simply more of the same with a fresh coat of paint. You have your choice of instruments.....guitar, bass, drums and vocals as before. However the big addition this time is the keyboard. Adding a whole other instrument to the game gives you a whole other way to play. The keys feel different enough to the other intruments to justify the addition of another piece of kit and the fact that it can be used as a real midi keyboard means it has a life beyond being a simple game controller.

Vocals are also expanded on over Rock Band 2, however those who have played either the Beatles or Green Day Rock Band games will be familiar with the vocal harmonies. Certain songs offering up to 3 players the chance to use vocals. With that and the rest of the instruments you could be looking at up to 8 players at once!

The gameplay is as stated very very similar to what has gone on before. The notes scroll down the screen and you hit them as they cross the line. Build up multipliers and note streaks to score points. One slight change to the gameplay comes via overdrive. Yes you still hit glowing phrases to earn overdrive, which when activated doubles your multiplier, but this time you will come across phrases which give you double overdrive. This will help with maintaining overdrive for as long as possible.

The game is pretty open when it comes to progress as well. There are challenges for each intrument which earn you "fans" which in turn earns you new instruments and outfits for your band. Also you have the option of other players dropping in and out of the game at their leisure, even mid song.

Rock Band 3 - A Harmonix/MTV Games/EA Games release Screenshot-rock-band-3-550x309

The closest Rock Band 3 comes to any sort of story mode is probably the Road Challenges. Your band starts off as a lowly garage band and progresses through local tours up to eventually world tours by completing various setlists and fulfilling certain criteria such as accuracy or maintaining overdrive.

The setlist is also extremely varied. Most genres are covered with artists as varied as Amy Winehouse, The Beach Boys, Slipknot and Tears for Fears. Each instrument has it's fair share of tracks tailored more towards them.

As well as adding a whole other instrument, Rock Band 3's other main selling point this time is the fact that it isn't just a video game. This time it's a learning tool as well, thanks to the addition of 'pro' modes. Drums, guitar, bass and keys have various difficulties above expert, which will teach you how to actually play the real thing. It's a steep learning curve and yes it will be expensive with the new drums and guitars as well as the already available keyboard, but it will be fulfilling and can potentially give you a sense of achievement never normally found in gaming.

Rock Band 3 - A Harmonix/MTV Games/EA Games release Rock_band_3_-_360ps3wiids_-_31289349942

Speaking of achievements, Rock Band 3 comes with 1250 gamerscore straight out of the box. A lot of the score is obtained by completing the Road Challenges, which can be done with any instrument on any difficulty, but there are a lot of achievements which are instrument specific. There are also some which require you to have some specific DLC tracks.

Rock Band 3 is the new standard in the music genre, but given the state of the genre as a whole, it remains to be seen if it will see the success it so truly deserves. This is a shame. A library of 2000+ songs means there truly is something for everyone and the addition of the 'pro' modes means that this is now much more than just a music game. It will be expensive if you want to get the most out of it, but even playing it with existing instruments will be rewarding.

9/10

Last edited by GrahamOfTheDead on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11097

Back to top Go down

Rock Band 3 - A Harmonix/MTV Games/EA Games release Empty Re: Rock Band 3 - A Harmonix/MTV Games/EA Games release

Post  Tricky34 Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:43 am

Great review Graham, I'll probably pick this up at some point as well as WoR, Don't seem to play the music games as much as i did, but no doubt they'll get some playtime over the festive period, with friends coming round etc...
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13304

Back to top Go down

Rock Band 3 - A Harmonix/MTV Games/EA Games release Empty Re: Rock Band 3 - A Harmonix/MTV Games/EA Games release

Post  Asurans Progeny Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Nice review mate, cracking stuff.

I pass on these games as I suck terribly at them lol.
Asurans Progeny
Asurans Progeny
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Asurans Progeny
Number of posts : 1022
Registration date : 2010-02-12
TGD Reputation : 49
TGD Elite Member Points : 6586

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:53 pm

Nice review mate Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:35 pm

great work again mate!

This game is probably ahead of my ability level right now as I can't play higher than medium.

KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25634

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:02 pm

nice review mate does look this one and is on my list with warriors of rock.

I love the idea of the pro mode would be good to try learn guitar always have wanted to but the prices are a little bit pricey
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10070

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Getting to the end of "freebird" in a four player band all on expert is a memory that I will never forget. Had we been in the same room there would of been lots of hugging and high fives. Better than any gamerscore ever. I must start playing this again soon..

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum