The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game

+3
GrahamOfTheDead
stubbymite
Riled Wolf
7 posters

Go down

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game Empty Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game

Post  Riled Wolf Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:06 pm

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game Phpfw310

The Introduction
I would like to point out that before I got this game I read some other reviews for the game which left me rather annoyed not because they said the game was bad because they didn’t but simply they appeared to be written with some sort of agenda. One example of this was a reviewer criticising Black ops for being unimaginative claiming you will end up playing through “the usual linear procession of compact, well-signposted and highly-scripted levels” and that it was “relentless in its pursuit of giving players one highly charged action sequence after another”. Now I can’t help but think that what he is complaining about is comparable to criticising Ferrari for making another high end sports car when that’s what they're all about.

The point I’m trying to make is that Call of Duty: Black Ops does exactly what you would expect from any Call of Duty it has intense fast paced battles on linear maps that follow a linear and cinematic story and is broken up by elements that involve stealth and taking control of vehicles. And that is exactly the experience I want from any Call of Duty game.

The Usual Stuff
The game is set around the cold war and the story see’s you mainly playing as Alex Mason a member of the “SOG” and your first mission is to infiltrate Cuba prior to the Bay of Pigs invasion. The other character you play is CIA operative Jason Hudson and is Alex Mason’s handler throughout most of the game. The main story is quite engaging although the main plot twist that builds up towards the end does become obvious a little too early it is still entertaining and the style of presentation is an excellent change for a Call of Duty playing each mission as a memory rather than as the usual real time story with a briefing at the beginning of each mission.

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game A-tens10

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game As-you10

The game has probably the best cinematic moments of any game I have ever played and is one of the most challenging Call of Duty games I have played on Veteran as the AI are crack shots and make good use of cover. Some of the lower difficulties are where this game does fall down though as the AI almost seem to stand around a bit too much as if they are just waiting for you to shoot them and that can make the campaign go very quickly. On the lower Difficulties expect the campaign to take about 5 to 7 hours however on the harder difficulties it should take a good player more than 15 hours. At the end of the campaign you will be treated to a game of Nazi zombie and you get to play as John F Kennedy, Fidel Castro, Richard Nixon and Robert Macnamara fighting waves of the undead Nazi hordes as they flood into the Pentagon.

The New Stuff
While the multiplayer hasn’t changed a great deal from Modern warfare 2 there doesn’t seem to have been many glitches and any that have come up have been fixed within a few hours. There are other new features in multiplayer as well like the new training ground where you and your friends can get some practise in against the AI and learn the maps before taking the fight online.

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game Phpie710

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game Phpjz710

There is also a new currency system for buying weapons, attachments and getting your kit personalized. Even things like the red dot sight can itself be customized and you are now able to create your own logo which can be stamped on to your gun and you can also have your clan tag scratched into the side of your gun as well which other players will be able to see all this if they pick up your weapon. With the new currency comes new challenges called Contracts which you have to buy and the will pay out when you complete the objective which is usually time limited. And a new multiplayer game type has also been added thanks to the currency system called wager matches these games have a buy in and you have to come in the top 3 to get a share of the pot.

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game Phpuj110

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game There-10

The Achievements
They are exactly what you would expect from any call of duty game ranging from completing a level on any difficulty and the complete the game on veteran difficulty. There is also a good range of achievements for doing certain thing during the campaign which vary from getting 3 kills with 1 bullet to getting through a section of a level without dying. The best thing about the achievements has to be the small number of multiplayer achievements which are mostly set around Nazi Zombies anyway and there are even 4 achievements you can get from the main menu.

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game Phpdzh10

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game Php3ax10

The Summary
If you enjoy first person shooter games then this game is definitely worth a go it’s easily one of the best Call of Duty games to date. It feels very well put together and has brilliant voice acting from top actors such as Gary Oldman and Ed Harris which only helps to make Black Ops an immersive story even if it isn’t the most original. The achievements are well balanced and everyone should be able to get the 1000g on this with a little effort. Overall i would Highly recommend this game to anyone

The Score... 9/10
Riled Wolf
Riled Wolf
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Riled Wolf
Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2010-05-15
TGD Reputation : 138
TGD Elite Member Points : 7279

Back to top Go down

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game Empty Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game

Post  stubbymite Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:16 pm

great review m8 this just backs up what i have already seen of the game it sounds and looks brilliant roll on christmas santa
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10060

Back to top Go down

Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game Empty Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops – a Treyarch/Activision game

Post  Guest Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Nice review mate Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:10 pm

It's nice to see Treyarch finally step out of Infinity Ward's shadow. I've always found the criticism levelled at them pretty harsh as I've enjoyed their COD entries just as much as the others.
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11087

Back to top Go down

Post  kinmad4it Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Excellent review mate. If I hadn't already made my mind up to not buy it and wasn't skint your review may well have persuaded me to buy it.
Keep up the good work
kinmad4it
kinmad4it
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : kinmad4it
Number of posts : 2140
Registration date : 2010-05-09
TGD Reputation : 69
TGD Elite Member Points : 7466

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:15 am

Great review matey.

As you say it does exactly what you expect a CoD game to do.

I haven't actually tried the multiplayer yet, cos i'm still addicted to Fable 3, but i have played through the whole single player campaign. And it is definately on a par with the likes of MW. One of the great things about spreading the missions across a wider timescale is it means a better variety of weaponry (the crossbow with exploding bolts is ace).
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13294

Back to top Go down

Post  Asurans Progeny Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:30 am

Completely agree mate, brilliant game Very Happy
Asurans Progeny
Asurans Progeny
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Asurans Progeny
Number of posts : 1022
Registration date : 2010-02-12
TGD Reputation : 49
TGD Elite Member Points : 6576

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:30 am

Sounds good, shame a copy never made its way to GSA towers Sad

Will add to my xmas list Wink
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25624

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum