The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - A Lucasarts Title

+4
Leigh36295
residentclown
Rainjermaine
GrahamOfTheDead
8 posters

Go down

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - A Lucasarts Title Empty Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - A Lucasarts Title

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - A Lucasarts Title 1287999723
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.....

Star Wars fans haven't really had that much to shout about with this generation of consoles. Lego games aside, all we've really had is the terrible spin-off of the Clone Wars animated series last year and, back in 2008, the game whose sequel we're here to talk about....The Force Unleashed.

The Force Unleashed introduced us to a largely unexplored part of the Star Wars saga. Here we took in the foundation of the Rebel Alliance and the events that took place between Episodes III and IV. We also got to know Darth Vader's secret apprentice....or Starkiller to his friends.

While the story was engrossing and felt appropriately epic and in keeping with the transitional tone between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, the game itself was deeply flawed. Plagued by glitches and repetetive gameplay, there are moments in The Force Unleashed where the game is totally broken. Whole levels disappear and you're left exploring an bland expansive wasteland, or all of a sudden you'll find yourself falling for eternity. Most people overlooked this as the story itself was extremely rewarding.

So here we are two years later and the sequel is upon us.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - A Lucasarts Title E3-2010-Star-Wars-The-Force-Unleashed-II-Photos

Starkiller returns (or does he?) to wreak more havoc on the Empire and pretty much anyone and anything else who happens to get in the way.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II is just more of the same. Sadly this time the story is nowhere near as engaging as it is reduced to little more than Starkiller searching for the woman he loves. Yes. Basically the plot is little more than a retread of Super Mario Bros. Starkiller is Mario and Juno is the princess. Guess that means Darth Vader is Bowser. The disappointing story pretty much removes everything the first game had going for it. It doesn't engage. It doesn't have the same epic feeling of the original.

The gameplay hasn't improved either. It's the same button mashing hack and slash gameplay. Kill a few Stormtroopers, a door opens, move to the next area, rinse and repeat. Occasionally this is broken up with a boss fight, which once you work out what to do are a pushover. The addition of a second lightsaber is little more than cosmetic and makes no difference to the game at all. You can still upgrade your attacks and your force powers, but again this makes little to no difference.

Speaking of force powers, there is one new addition in this area. The jedi mind-trick. This supposedly causes enemies to either leap to their doom or fight each other. Supposedly. It very rarely works.

The game is also woefully short. A run through on either of the lower difficulties will take you at worst about 4 hours and ends rather abruptly. Just as the game starts to redeem itself and you begin to actually like it, you're riding an elevator to the final boss fight. The developers do try to add some replay value by unlocking a harder difficulty after one playthrough and a few skill challenges to unlock as you play, but there is no real incentive to replay this game straight away.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - A Lucasarts Title E3-2010-Star-Wars-The-Force-Unleashed-II-Photos-1

The Force Unleashed II is however a very nice looking game. The setting looks like star Wars as we visit places like Kamino and Dagobah (with an extremely brief cameo from a certain little green Jedi) which should all be familiar to those who have seen the movies. The levels look massive, play relatively smoothly and do not suffer the same glitches that almost killed the original. The sound design is also top notch with musical cues from the movies dotted throughout and the familiar sounds of spaceships, lightsabers and blasters all adding to the slightly lacking Star Wars atmosphere.

Overall, what could have been a classic ends up as a massive disappointment. None of the criticism levelled at the last game appears to be taken on board. Yes the glitches have gone, but just as everything starts to come together it's all over. The Force Unleashed II doesn't feel like a sequel and more like an expansion pack. Something which is happening more and more.

5/10
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11097

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - A Lucasarts Title Empty Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - A Lucasarts Title

Post  Guest Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:35 am

Nice review. The more I read theckess I wanna play this. Looks pretty though Shocked

Back to top Go down

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - A Lucasarts Title Empty Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - A Lucasarts Title

Post  residentclown Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:27 am

Good review really enjoyed playing the first but when i heard you can rip through this one in less than 5 hours was completely put off!

residentclown
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : residentclown
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-04-25
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 5157

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:26 am

I quiet liked this tbh. It wasn't amazing but was definately playable. I liked the big boss fight in the arena alot Smile
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10130

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:38 am

wow i and i thought that this would be good. does not sound clever at all maybe one for when its cheap or rental.

Do you think that more DLC will come for this like the first game?
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10070

Back to top Go down

Post  Jameseire85 Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:43 am

Glad that i saw this review because i was definitely going to buy the game, not now though!!!

Have rep for saving me money!! Very Happy
Jameseire85
Jameseire85
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Jameseire85
Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-04-21
TGD Reputation : 43
TGD Elite Member Points : 6753

Back to top Go down

Post  Asurans Progeny Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:15 am

By the looks of the demo I thought this game would get 10 out of 10. Sad
Asurans Progeny
Asurans Progeny
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Asurans Progeny
Number of posts : 1022
Registration date : 2010-02-12
TGD Reputation : 49
TGD Elite Member Points : 6586

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:56 am

Really good honest review mate. REP!

Its overall score on metacritc is also low at 62, so its a common global view.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25634

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum