The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oooooooooohhh Gossip at Infinity Ward!

+3
djilladel
Ba5sett
sophosuni
7 posters

Go down

oooooooooohhh Gossip at Infinity Ward! Empty oooooooooohhh Gossip at Infinity Ward!

Post  sophosuni Tue 2 Mar 2010 - 10:19

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looks like the studio heads have been misbehavin. I wonder what was so bad that it looks like Activision has sacked the two heads of the most successful games developer on the planet. scratch

I like Tim Schafer's comment at the end of the Eurogamer article:

"Getting mad at Activision for this kind of thing is like getting mad at an ape for throwing feces. It's just how the beast communicates."

Handbags at dawn people. tongue
sophosuni
sophosuni
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : sophosuni
Number of posts : 1071
Registration date : 2009-09-20
TGD Reputation : 40
TGD Elite Member Points : 6587

Back to top Go down

oooooooooohhh Gossip at Infinity Ward! Empty Re: oooooooooohhh Gossip at Infinity Ward!

Post  Ba5sett Tue 2 Mar 2010 - 10:47

It must have been pretty bad, when you think about their big releases last year DJ hero and tony hawk ride both did fairly poorly it was MW2 that got them through really, although I guess they always have their world of warcraft billions to fall back on
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9066

Back to top Go down

oooooooooohhh Gossip at Infinity Ward! Empty Re: oooooooooohhh Gossip at Infinity Ward!

Post  Guest Tue 2 Mar 2010 - 13:04

The rumour mill will be a spinning for this one, although I have to admit it would be pretty interesting to find out what they did that got them canned... could make interesting reading.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Tue 2 Mar 2010 - 13:47

Interesting that Activision filed this earlier today, looks just like a boring old annual report, until you get to section 18 and read this:

In November 2009, the Company released Call of Duty:
Modern Warfare 2, a game developed by one of the Company's wholly-owned
studios, Infinity Ward. As noted above, Modern Warfare 2 was the best
selling console title in the U.S. and Europe in 2009. Consistent with
past practice, the Company intends to release a Call of Duty game in
2010 developed by another wholly-owned studio. The Company is
concluding an internal human resources inquiry into breaches of
contract and insubordination by two senior employees at Infinity Ward.
This matter is expected to involve the departure of key personnel and
litigation.
At present, the Company does not expect this matter to have
a material impact on the Company.
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  djilladel Wed 3 Mar 2010 - 3:09

Looks as if there adding a 3rd developement studio into the mix to make COD games, there calle Sledgehammer studios
djilladel
djilladel
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : dj illadel
Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2010-01-02
TGD Reputation : 26
TGD Elite Member Points : 5754

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Wed 3 Mar 2010 - 10:04

That sledgehammer thing was from a while ago its ex dead space devs doing a call of duty action / adventure game, apparently this infinity ward thing is years of tension between them and Activision coming to a head, IW were already pissed off that Activision started letting another studio create call of duty games (Treyarch with COD 3 and WaW) as it is their franchise. Apparently IW wanted to start work on a new franchise or a game set in the future (possibly the same thing) and Activision didn't want this as they basically want to milk the COD franchise as it is a big earner for them I've also heard rumors that they were withholding royalties from IW despite them being entitled to them (MW2 has earned over a billion dollars so far [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) All these things pissed IW off which led the two heads of the studio to start touting themselves to other rival publishers which upset Activision and caused them to sack them for 'Insubordination' !
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Thu 4 Mar 2010 - 10:19

Linky

Looks like the sacked Infinity Ward guys are suing Activision for unpaid royalties and the rights to the Modern Warfare brand, wouldn't be surprised if the IW employees followed their old bosses wherever they go next either as they did when they jumped ship from EA. Nice work Activision!
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 4 Mar 2010 - 15:07

Ba5sett wrote:Linky

Looks like the sacked Infinity Ward guys are suing Activision for unpaid royalties and the rights to the Modern Warfare brand, wouldn't be surprised if the IW employees followed their old bosses wherever they go next either as they did when they jumped ship from EA. Nice work Activision!

I actually hope they win and that the whole lot of IW does follow the ex bosses to a new company, it would be a much heavily needed kick in the teeth for these big publishers... they need knocking down a peg or two!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 4 Mar 2010 - 15:50

All the stories I have read around this incident remind of the US conspiracy shows where big tobacco and medicine companies are silencing their enemies Smile Never thought a game company would get that big, but I suppose never underestimate WOW Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Thu 4 Mar 2010 - 16:01

Apparently 68% of Activision's income come from WoW, Call of Duty and Guitar Hero. Within that 98% comes from WoW and the other 2% come from GH and CoD, crazy numbers but thats what 11 million people paying £8.99 a month gets you!

Goes to show though if WoW suddenly had a downsurge in subscriptions they would be seriously screwed
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 4 Mar 2010 - 16:09

Ba5sett wrote:Apparently 68% of Activision's income come from WoW, Call of Duty and Guitar Hero. Within that 98% comes from WoW and the other 2% come from GH and CoD, crazy numbers but thats what 11 million people paying £8.99 a month gets you!

Goes to show though if WoW suddenly had a downsurge in subscriptions they would be seriously screwed

Unfortunately that is never going to happen, basically the size and surprising success of WoW has made it nigh on impossible for anyone to compete with it. As soon as anyone brings out a new MMO loads of people flock from WoW to the new titles but within a month or two they flock right back leaving the new title hung out to dry... several MMO's have closed their doors because of the behemoth that is WoW.

From the title I have seen in the works I think there is only one title upcoming that could seriously challenge WoWs crown and that is only because of the franchise tie in associated with it, and that is BioWare's soon to appear(ish) offering The Old Republic.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Thu 4 Mar 2010 - 19:56

WoW is already declining albeit slowly, the peak was 11.5 million players back in 2008 after they released wrath of the lich king. But the numbers have been dropping, they seem to be looking to lure in the more casual players but by doing that they ended up pissing off lots of the more hardcore players who ended up leaving. I played WoW almost every day from August 2005 through to around Feb last year the game really sucked me in and I loved it, plus a whole load of my friends played too which made it even better. I sometimes log on to catch up with people I play with etc and its shocking the number of people that have quit. But you are totally right, nothing will topple it in the mmo arena until Blizz release their next mmo
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 4 Mar 2010 - 21:41

When all is said and done I think WoW was a fluke, plain and simple. The success it achieved was totally unparalleled and I don't think even Blizzard themselves will be able to replicate the success it obtained with that game, it was one of those once in a lifetime occurrences that is unlikely to be repeated I reckon. Bioware may come the closest that anyone will ever do with their Star Wars tie in title, as for some reason lots of people go bat shit crazy for Star Wars or anything remotely tied to it...

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Thu 4 Mar 2010 - 22:29

They were in the right place at the right time, but I have to hand it to them its so popular because it is a great game and I'll never forget doing those first 60 levels and exploring the world with a bunch of friends it remains one of my all time favorite gaming experiences
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  CMLiedtke Mon 15 Mar 2010 - 3:24

Ba5sett wrote:It must have been pretty bad, when you think about their big releases last year DJ hero and tony hawk ride both did fairly poorly it was MW2 that got them through really, although I guess they always have their world of warcraft billions to fall back on

I loved DJ hero, its just too bad it only has 2 song packs Sad
CMLiedtke
CMLiedtke
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : CMLiedtke
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-03-14
TGD Reputation : -1
TGD Elite Member Points : 5214

Back to top Go down

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Tue 6 Apr 2010 - 17:01

GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11084

Back to top Go down

Post  Nezzie Mon 12 Apr 2010 - 14:51

Nezzie
Nezzie
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Sum Rand0m Dude
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-01-07
TGD Reputation : 3
TGD Elite Member Points : 5253

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Mon 12 Apr 2010 - 16:03

Now there's a surprise :p
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 12 Apr 2010 - 16:42

lol

The irony of leaving Activision for Deactivision

Maybe EA need more folks to oversee the server switch offs

Bunch of bastards

Tiger Woods 2008 is going to be switched off next month

The sooner the game buying public boycott this shower of toss the better

Back to top Go down

Post  sophosuni Tue 13 Apr 2010 - 10:38

West/Zampella to work with EA

EA has no option to buy Respawn

Respawn's Jason West and Vince Zampella interview

sophosuni
sophosuni
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : sophosuni
Number of posts : 1071
Registration date : 2009-09-20
TGD Reputation : 40
TGD Elite Member Points : 6587

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Tue 13 Apr 2010 - 11:57

Two more Infinity Ward staff quit

That makes 4 now wonder where these guys will end up working :p
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalumny Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 20:34

I like Tim Schafer's comment at the end of the Eurogamer article:

"Getting mad at Activision for this kind of thing is like getting mad at an ape for throwing feces. It's just how the beast communicates."

Handbags at dawn people. tongue

lol! Classic analogy that's going in a signature somewhere.
Kalumny
Kalumny
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Kalumny
Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-02-09
TGD Reputation : 5
TGD Elite Member Points : 5281

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 7:01

I think this whole saga has been hilarious. It is now a total of 11 people that have left since the two main guys were fired that's quite a turnover considering only about 95 people worked there.

Clearly a case of Infinity Ward thinking they were bigger than there are and being very publicly dealt a smack down by Activision.

The sales of World at War clearly show COD games sell and to the average - I only buy FIFA and COD games - gamer, it will make no difference who is developing the game Smile lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 13:06

niteowl1980 wrote:I think this whole saga has been hilarious. It is now a total of 11 people that have left since the two main guys were fired that's quite a turnover considering only about 95 people worked there.

Clearly a case of Infinity Ward thinking they were bigger than there are and being very publicly dealt a smack down by Activision.

The sales of World at War clearly show COD games sell and to the average - I only buy FIFA and COD games - gamer, it will make no difference who is developing the game Smile lol!

I think thats true to a point. World at War had the benefits of an established engine and set narrative pattern. That formula may hold for 1 or 2 ( at a stretch ) games but at that point Activision will start to suffer from the loss of those creatives.

In the meantime I would expect the new Company to be working on a way to outfox the opposition and establish a better Franchise that will steal a large proportion of the COD market. The 12 year olds will be happy regardless but the more demanding Gamer wont buy another Generic, by the numbers, run and Gun title.

It would seem Game publishers are the new Record Company execs; without the actual creatives output to sell, they look pretty redundant.

Back to top Go down

oooooooooohhh Gossip at Infinity Ward! Empty Game makers anonymous......

Post  Guest Wed 5 May 2010 - 9:16

Great article from the Game Central site. Exactly what I've been trying to say.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum