The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BAND HERO - A Red Octane Production

+3
Tricky34
garymason72
palindromic BOB
7 posters

Go down

BAND HERO - A Red Octane Production Empty BAND HERO - A Red Octane Production

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 pm

BAND HERO - A Red Octane Production Band-Hero-Box-Art-2

A Red Octane Production, Distributed by Activision!

An Introduction to the HERO series

BAND HERO is the latest pack to be released by Red Octane and follows in the footsteps of #Deep Breathe# Guitar Hero I, II & III, Aerosmith, World Tour, Metallica, 5 and and and and a couple of other versions i.e. GH The 80’s and Van Halen (Released in US only via download) ….. #and breathe again#! .

Key Elements to the Game

Firstly you can create your own character or you can rock out as your Avatar as in GH5, you can customise you own instruments and create your own Band logo etc. I got to admit I love seeing Icey rocking out on stage – it never ceases to amuse my tiny lickle brain!

You can play the usual four elements, Guitar, Bass, Drums and Vocals or you can have Band Play! Band play can consists of 2 to 4 players. Also as in GH5, you can have a band that consists of all four elements (4 guitars etc) which was an excellent addition to the previous game. You simply hit the gems to strum or drum a note, or hit the pitch bar in singing or not as the case may be LOL. The difficulty can be changed to suit the player from Easy to Expert – however the addition of expert + (drumming only) is missing in this game. As in GH5, you have your gigs to play with the addition of bonus challenges for each particular song – you can achieve, Gold, Platinum, or Diamond discs which also give you additional stars. In this game, for the more experienced player, the diamond discs and much easier to achieve than in GH5. The more stars you earn the more gigs you open, ending with HYPERSPHERE – a gig in outer space! Far out maannn!

BAND HERO - A Red Octane Production Band-hero-screenshot

If you have a set of LIPS microphones, these are compatible with the game.

How the game plays

There is 3 separate elements to the type of game you would like to play

CAREER
QUICKPLAY
COMPETITIVE

But the main emphasis for this is FUN. In previous GH’s you kind of needed to be an expert GH guitarist and a wannabe Rock God to enjoy the game to its full potential. This release is a welcome change to the usual tracks you would expect to appear on such a game – Introducing more pop-like tracks from Spice Girls, K T Tunstall, The Village People, (yes I did actually say THE VILLAGE PEOPLE) amongst other easy listening groups – however this is not the main theme to the game and it still has what I would describe as “soft rock” tracks as opposed to “Trash Metal”. Please note singing Wannabe by the Spice Girls is not as easy as you may think – Zig-a-Zig ahhhhh indeed!

A new element to this game is a Karoke Style way to sing. Anyone can join the game by picking up a mic, shaking it and the words pop up on the bottom of the screen. Great for any party.

The menus are easy to access, easy to understand and follow – great for a new gamer to this genre. and anyone with the attention span of a knat.

Example of one of the tracks ...

Yes Icey has 100% this on Expert *smug mode*

Who is the game marketed for?

As previously mentioned the emphasis of this game is fun and it would be a great game for people who want an introduction into the music games out there currently on the market. The game looks very “glittery” with the usual elements of fireworks and excellent stage settings. I put the game to the test and asked my daughter, an occasional gamer of about 3 months to play and give me her feedback. ……… *Icey enters interviewer mode*....
“Sooooo Spenney after letting you play the game ON MY CONSOLE for all of 10 mins, what is your initial reaction???” ……
I have previously dipped my toes into the Guitar Hero World and as a complete nOOb (apparently that is the correct term!) I found the games fun but too “Big” and I found myself not really knowing what I was doing – However after playing Band Hero briefly I found this is more my type of game, easy to understand and I would actually buy this version – I am a LIPS fan and me and my friends love to party – BAND HERO would be a definite for us – Loving it! (gamertag SPENNEY)
“Thanks for that Spenney, now step away from my guitar and console you may leave …..” hehe Oooo the power of parenthood!

I envisage that hardened GH gamers will find this game all too easy and would question the longevity of the game, thus possibly giving the game some bad press, wrongly in my opinion.

Online gaming (Competitive Mode)

Modes to be played are:-

Pro-Face Off
Rockfest
Team Pro-Face Off
Team Rockfest
8 Player band (4 –v- 4)

This is my only negative feedback for this game. The actually actions of getting online are really simple and works – however finding someone waiting to play in the lobbies is very sketchy and frustrating, and to get an 8-player band –v- band seems impossible. This could possibly be for two reasons:

1. The game take-up has not been great as the usually hardcore GH fans would not possibly not buy this game or,
2. The theme of the game is more about the fun and possible aimed at new gamers, who maybe wont use the Online competitive mode.

I have been successful in finding a couple of players to “Pro-Face Off” but I have tried and better tried to get into matches in other competitive modes …… but all I got was …….. tumbleweed moment, falls asleep and wakes up an hour later and the damn game is still searching ……….. =( However, a good side to the game is that any of your previous DLC on GH automatically transfers over without having to input any codes and re-download tracks.

Achievements

Easy pickings for cheevy chasers or good players of the GH genre, including one achievement for a massive 490gs for finding all the secret notes on 19 of the songs. SMUG MODE I already have this one =P – I could tell you what they are but I wont put any spoilers in the review …. No I wont, and you cant make me ….but for a small price I may be persuaded Wink LOL . !!!!

BAND HERO - A Red Octane Production Achievement

Ratings

Graphics 10 (I’m a sucker for all things bright colourful and Ooooooo)
Sound 9 (Playing the game through my Turtle Beaches – NICE!)
Gameplay 9 (Fluent, and attention grabbing)
Longevity 7 (Eh? Am I finished it already?)
Fun 10 (Ooodles of family fun & individual gamer satisfaction)

Overall = 9 /10

Thank you for reading my review – your comments would be welcome …

Back to top Go down

BAND HERO - A Red Octane Production Empty Re: BAND HERO - A Red Octane Production

Post  palindromic BOB Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:01 pm

Excellent review Icey. In fact I think the interview part deserves a big thumbs up. Something i haven't ever seen in a review before. The fact it also akes me want to look at this game now is another big thing. I have been considering Beatles RB for the xmas parties but this may just suit the other half of the group that aren't fussed on the Beatles or heavier RB tracks.

I also want to get Lips now as well. Curse you making me want to spend money.
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Palindromic Bob
Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2009-01-27
TGD Reputation : 63
TGD Elite Member Points : 6793

Back to top Go down

BAND HERO - A Red Octane Production Empty Re: BAND HERO - A Red Octane Production

Post  garymason72 Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:19 pm

great review Icey. i love these music games
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Garymason72
Number of posts : 2506
Registration date : 2009-02-16
TGD Reputation : 171
TGD Elite Member Points : 8361

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Well done Icey excellent review, I really like the way you've laid it out and spent so much time on the presentation.

I agree with Bob regarding the interview aswell, it gives us all food for thought with regards to improving our reviews for the general betterment of the forum.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Thank you for your feedback guys - much appreciated, and thanks to Simon and Kent for their support. I love you I dont think it was a bad go for my first attempt

What can I say I'm a sucker for anything that comes with a plastic guitar LOL Wink

Plus ....... sorry Bob - get yr money out and give it a whirl - Band Hero > RB Beatles anyday Very Happy

Cheers again

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Great review Icey...

Might pick it up eventually if i see it going cheap, i've bought too many games recently as it is.

And i'm off to get MW2 and RB2 tomorrow.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13304

Back to top Go down

Post  Thommo Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Nice review Icey, I'm still leaning towards GH5 for my musical needs though.
Thommo
Thommo
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2009-07-20
TGD Reputation : 32
TGD Elite Member Points : 6712

Back to top Go down

Post  Hendo 259 Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:24 am

Good review Icey!!!! Two Thumbs fresh BAND HERO - A Red Octane Production Icon_cheers
Hendo 259
Hendo 259
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Hendo 259
Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-09-29
TGD Reputation : 11
TGD Elite Member Points : 5613

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:29 am

A great review!
I am so glad you have joined the review team for some female input and cool presentation skills. Very Happy
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25634

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  monders Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:21 pm

When I saw this advertised, I turns to the Mrs and I says: "World Tour Lite. Look at the box, it's for families and Childrens, that." and it would appear that I am, once again, spot on.

As an interesting aside, I was going to go to TOWN on this little gem:

"I am a LIPS fan and me and my friends love to party"

...but I decided no, that would be massively inappropriate. Well done me.
monders
monders
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2009-03-30
TGD Reputation : 46
TGD Elite Member Points : 7139

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thatnicelee/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:46 pm

monders wrote:When I saw this advertised, I turns to the Mrs and I says: "World Tour Lite. Look at the box, it's for families and Childrens, that." and it would appear that I am, once again, spot on.

As an interesting aside, I was going to go to TOWN on this little gem:

"I am a LIPS fan and me and my friends love to party"

...but I decided no, that would be massively inappropriate. Well done me.
Dont go there Monders LOL they would eat you alive Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  monders Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:41 pm

*mummmph gnnnghr hag fbllld*

(my lips are sealed)

Laughing
monders
monders
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2009-03-30
TGD Reputation : 46
TGD Elite Member Points : 7139

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thatnicelee/

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:50 pm

Monders keeps up his 100% record of only writing something negative or moaning Laughing
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25634

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:00 pm

Great review. Am actually enjoying this more than I thought. It does help that I have harvested more G from it than all the other Guitar Hero games I have played put together Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum