The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOST AND THE DAMNED A ROCKSTAR GAME

3 posters

Go down

THE LOST AND THE DAMNED A ROCKSTAR GAME Empty THE LOST AND THE DAMNED A ROCKSTAR GAME

Post  Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:16 pm

OFFICIAL GSA REVIEW OF THE LOST AND THE DAMNED

THE LOST AND THE DAMNED A ROCKSTAR GAME Gta-4-the-lost-and-damned

Since introducing downloadable content to the xbox live marketplace it would be fair to say that Microsoft has had as much criticism as praise. From the Oblivion horse armour debacle to numerous unnecessary, over expensive map packs many have felt that Microsoft have exploited the system and in the process left gamers disenchanted with the whole concept of DLC. Upon announcing however that they had secured a deal with Rockstar for two exclusive episodic expansion packs any criticism was instantaneously muted.

The first of these packs, The Lost and the Damned, was released in February of this year and reacquainted gamers with the sprawling metropolis that is Liberty City. This time around you are Johnny Klebitz a high ranking member of LC's baddest motorcycle gang The Lost and the Damned. As with all people in middle management Johnny must answer to his superior and in this case the head honcho is the proverbial loose cannon Billy Grey. In every crime fuelled organisations there is tension in the camp and TLAD is no different, most of this derives from the differing ideals of the head guy and his right hand man. Inevitably Billy's skew-whiff approach to matters lands he and the rest of the gang in deep water leading to disharmony and outright civil war amongst the members, bringing with it back stabbing, assasination attempts, brutal slayings and no holds barred gun fights, basically all the things that GTA has become known for over the years.

THE LOST AND THE DAMNED A ROCKSTAR GAME Image.axd?picture=Johnny+Klebitz

As the story progresses various characters from the original GTA IV storyline will reappear adding to the feeling that you are actually in a living, breathing world. Scenes will be replayed from the perspective of a different character and on occasion this leads to some gaps from the GTA IV plot line being filled in in a manner reminiscent of a certain Tarantino film from the mid nineties. As ever the cut scenes are a joy to behold with a level of humour and charm on display that you just don't get in other games, one scene in particular involving Congressman Stubbs and a white towel will unfortunately stay in my mind for the forseeable future. Another strength of TLAD is the characterisation, Johnny stays pretty much in the mould of the dark, brooding hero but for the most part is as likeable and endearing as Niko Belic before him, Billy Grey is also a fine addition to the cast and is arguably one of the best creations in the history of the GTA series. Unfortunately a love interest for Johnny is shoe horned in with the presence of the whiney, mewling Ashley Butler who has our protaganist chasing his own tail at various intervals throughout the story. She becomes one of those characters whom you secretly wish you could just shoot in the back of the head or drive off the edge of a cliff just to shut her up, alas the opportunity to do so never presents itself.

One of the only issues I had with the original GTA IV was the repititive feel of the missions with most seeming to descend into a combination of car chases and shoot outs. Thankfully things feel fresher in TLAD and this is largely due to the fact that you will spend the majority of your game time on a motorcycle, which is hardly surprising given that you're in a biker gang. The handling of said bikes feels better than it ever has done in a GTA title and its obvious that a large amount of time has gone into making this feel as authentic as possible. Motoring along the highway in formation with your biker brothers is an experience in itself and readies even the most faint hearted of gamers for the task ahead. Even when you are tasked with completing a mission by yourself you can call on your two most trusted lieutenants Clay and Terry to ride by your side so the feeling of comradeship is palpable for the duration. Maybe it was due to the fact that TLAD isn't as long in gameplay time as GTA IV but I for one never really got bored of the missions as the storyline chugged along at a fair old pace and it was with a hint of sadness that I viewed the end credits.

THE LOST AND THE DAMNED A ROCKSTAR GAME Gtalad03

The biker gang element is prevalent throughout all the new multiplayer modes also with each and every mode utilising this mode of transport. The standard races are given a hint of maniacal evil by entrusting each participant with a baseball bat to hinder your opponents progress, indeed if you manage to hinder enough of them you will unlock one of the achievements on offer in the 200points available. Lone Wolf Biker sees one player being 'it' with everyone else trying to take that person down in the manner of many FPS multiplayer modes. By far the most interesting addition to the online is Chopper vs Chopper which involves players trying to hit checkpoints whilst being pursued by the aerial threat of a Helicopter. Once more Rockstar have excelled themselves by not being content to offer up the standard multiplayer modes usually seen and instead push the boat out with new, innovative multiplayer challenges.

When Rockstar birthed the GTA IV world it felt like you could drive around and exist in it for a lifetime and never get bored with it, even after completing GTA IV I found myself revisiting LC just to soak up the beauty of it all again. In releasing TLAD Rockstar have gauged the mood of the gaming public perfectly as most GTA fans were only too happy to revist this world once more. With a tighter, more even paced storyline and the greater variety in the missions Rockstar have released what is in my opinion the finest DLC on the 360 to date, and in essence provided us with the kind of quality expansion pack that the service was created for in the first place.

RATINGS

GRAPHICS 9.5

SOUND 9

GAMEPLAY 8.5

LONGEVITY 9

OVERALL 9

Last edited by SimonB Demented on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

THE LOST AND THE DAMNED A ROCKSTAR GAME Empty Re: THE LOST AND THE DAMNED A ROCKSTAR GAME

Post  Lance the pimp Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Thats actually got me interested in GTA again. I'd moved on for a while but I think i'll be picking up the new episodes soon. Nice work.
Lance the pimp
Lance the pimp
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Lance the pimp
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2009-02-13
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 6171

Back to top Go down

THE LOST AND THE DAMNED A ROCKSTAR GAME Empty Re: THE LOST AND THE DAMNED A ROCKSTAR GAME

Post  palindromic BOB Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:21 am

Glad to see bike handling isn't as poor for this. May get it at some point. Saw the stand alone version the other day and it was reasonably priced.
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Palindromic Bob
Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2009-01-27
TGD Reputation : 63
TGD Elite Member Points : 6791

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:09 pm

Well done mate, makes even me want to play it now! Very Happy
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25632

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum