The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

should i get a The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's

+9
monders
Mister Blade
garymason72
Artois
KENT HAMMER
Tricky34
RabidHellBunny
msross
PJ RISING
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

should i get a The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's Empty should i get a The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's

Post  PJ RISING Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:57 am

well i sick and tried of my xbox going wrong, this is my 4th in two years. My son is getting a The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's if his xbox goes wrong again. With the cost of avatars and cost of repairs and the fact that you pay for online gameing and soon be buying your games direct from your xbox. all this cost and a The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's is one layout thats it.
PJ RISING
PJ RISING
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : PJ RISING
Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2009-05-08
TGD Reputation : 7
TGD Elite Member Points : 5958

Back to top Go down

should i get a The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's Empty Re: should i get a The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's

Post  msross Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:40 am

You don't have to buy avatar items, or even do anything with it once you've set it up originally..

You don't need to buy games from the dashboard, & you'd be better off not doing so.. - there's no way (certainly in this generation) that MS would risk cutting out the retail sector

Also, the xbox plays doovd, unless your meaning bluray, in which case there's additional costs of getting those films (depends if you buy doovd or not tbh)

repair fees : okay, you could try forcing a RRoD failure on the box if something else goes.. apparently wrapping a towel around it should get it warm enough to trigger this off.. this should at least allow for a nominal repair costs.. & apparently the newer chipsets have cut hardware failures to a large degree.

sure, the online gaming costs, I think, around 28 quid for 13 months, so a game a year, for what is a well developed & mature comunication/networking platform. sonys is lagging well behind that.
msross
msross
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : msross
Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-07-16
TGD Reputation : 20
TGD Elite Member Points : 5829

Back to top Go down

should i get a The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's Empty Re: should i get a The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's

Post  RabidHellBunny Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:08 am

I don't know much about the other console, but wouldn't swap my xbox for anything, although the other console is a sexier machine.
RabidHellBunny
RabidHellBunny
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : RabidHellBunny
Number of posts : 3375
Registration date : 2009-03-26
TGD Reputation : 141
TGD Elite Member Points : 9151

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:57 am

I'm a fairly recent xbox convert (had mine nearly a year now), previously had 2x ps1, first only lasted a week before refusing to read any discs.
2x ps2 when the first died i bought a slimline one which is still working fine.
Was never bothered about the original xbox, but now i've got the 360 i won't be swapping for anything else.
I know that if and when i get RRoD i'll probably buy an arcade one while mine is having a german holiday.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13302

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:27 am

I have owned a The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's for about a year now, I never play games on it as its a lonely lesser experience than the 360.
Also I miss achievements and there trophy system is crap.

But the biggest thing you need to know is that the The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's does also go wrong if you actually play it alot like you would the 360.
I have 2 friend both on there 3rd The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's and 4 more who are on there 2nd ones.

Most console problems are caused by over heating.
You need to have the 360 well ventilated not stuck in a little cupboard and not on the carpet.
Also try placing the power supply balanced on a small box as this also overheats.
Its summer and thats why more of you are having rrod.
Also Microsoft always do a free replacement if you moan enough on there helpline.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25632

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:47 am

Good arguments from msross and Kent there.
A 360 doesn't have to cost that much and if you've "killed" four already, PJ, I think you've got to have a look at what your doing with them!
Very Happy

I came to the 360 from PS2 and the reason I chose it then was because of the games I wanted to play, namely Gears and Oblivion. If you get a black box how I am going to chainsaw you in the back on Gears? You'll know you'll miss it....
Very Happy

Also I assume, though I'm not at all sure, if you do get a black box you'll be expelled from the forum and/or possibly stalked hounded penalised threatened insulted and flamed from everybody here.

Now where but the Xbox Live Network would you find such a nice bunch of guys and girls, hmmm?

Back to top Go down

Post  PJ RISING Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:40 pm

Good points guys/girls I will have to think on this abit more now. I will miss you lot, i will miss the fun and chat. Damm it i'll wait abit longer. I put my xbox up on a box with good vent around it in fact its by a grid thing that lets air in thou the wall ! if you no what i mean. But hav'nt got my maines power thing on a box, will try that. Very Happy and if the The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's is also haveing problems whats the point of swapping.
PJ RISING
PJ RISING
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:43 pm

I ... *hangs head in shame* once had a Goerge Foreman Grill - and tbh is the worst money I have ever spent.

Pros = It looks better than the XBOX360 and it probably more reliable, oh n plays Blue Ray DVD

Cons = The community side of it is crap, the "dashboard" is awful to use, crap selection of games,

However did go to my friends the other day and they were showing me the free music video channel on it - now if Xbox had sumet like that it would ease the "ripoff" feeling we all seem to be feeling with Microsoft. That would ge a big thumbs up from me for SONY - but Nah, as a games console its pap

IMO

xx Icey xx

Back to top Go down

Post  Artois Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:55 pm

isnt xbox getting last.fm or something in a couple of months?

tbh there is no games on the The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's what make it a must buy its only redeeming quality it can play blu rays and thats not enough reason to get one, nah stick to the 360, its unlucky you are going to be on the 5th xbox mind you but you know what they say, 5th time is a charm Very Happy
Artois
Artois
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : SmoknArtois
Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2009-01-15
TGD Reputation : 40
TGD Elite Member Points : 6217

Back to top Go down

Post  msross Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:06 pm

But on the other flip of the 'Music video' & blue ray, is that the fact that the music videos where probably part of Sony's music business, in the same way it was the film studio that pushed hard to get blue ray into the puss3 in the first place..

MS on the other hand, doesn't have similar, related sectors it can bludgeon into, so it has to use cross-licences that (and I presume here) probably also doesnt give benefits to competators, so its unlikely to see itoons store in even the distant future. (thankfully)

equally though PJ, I'd have a gander at where/what your doing to the 360s.. sure the initial release should all have died by now, but the last couple of iterations should have been lasting a little bit longer..
msross
msross
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  msross Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:56 pm

Actually, If you are wanting one of the huge Puss3s, now may be the time..

The Puss3slim will officially be getting a release soonish (IE when sony do their conference over in Germany).. and it seems asda has shot their load early and done a cut price deal on the Puss..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So the big black monster, Terminator Salvation, Tremination 3 (film) & ghostbusters or infamous.. all for 250 queenie fun bucks.. not really a bad deal that. if you wanted to get one.. Or hold off & see what the slim will look like..

If its like the PSPgo, expect it to cost more than the normal (& better) psp
msross
msross
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  garymason72 Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:33 pm

I also have a Gaystation 3 and have to say that after playing the xbox it is poor substitute, you have a friends list but its nowhere near a social as the xbox, the trophy system is a cheap mans Gamerscore. when you play online nobody has a mic so no one is talking its just quite.

dont get me wrong there are some really good games for it, little big planet being one of my favs, but theres not enough to make me ever want to get rid of the xbox, no matter how many times mine goes.

just to add i bought mine off one of my mates, and he had just got it back from being repaired and he isnt even much of a gamer he just used it to watch films, so its the sony machine isnt without its problems it just the xbox gets a bad rep for it.
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Garymason72
Number of posts : 2506
Registration date : 2009-02-16
TGD Reputation : 171
TGD Elite Member Points : 8359

Back to top Go down

Post  Mister Blade Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 pm

I also got the The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's (P S 3 yeah i know i said it). I play mine about 2 days out of a week. But always end up playing COD4 on it. with a 360 controller. Surprised
Mister Blade
Mister Blade
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Mister Blade
Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2009-04-15
TGD Reputation : 30
TGD Elite Member Points : 6234

Back to top Go down

Post  monders Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:33 am

I'd be tempted to get one if I was so unlucky with Xbox as some folk. The Xbox has a 57% failure rate and the least helpful customer services, which is frankly apalling. The The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's on the other hand is something 11% and top teh customer service charts, too. Stats are on IGN somewhere.

I admit I'm tempted to get a slim one, because FFXIII will be Teh Awsums on BluRay, plus you get to play as Joker on Arkham. LBP is supposed to be ace. But the pad feels wrong, it's too light! I'll certainly miss the alrt when you unlock a cheevo... Hmmm, back to mulling it over, I think!
monders
monders
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2009-03-30
TGD Reputation : 46
TGD Elite Member Points : 7137

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thatnicelee/

Back to top Go down

Post  PJ RISING Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks for all the info guys its very helpfull. and yes i think you have saved me from spending more money. " I WILL STAY WITH THE XBOX" as you guys are so good, and also i've tried the black box and its not for me. I dont like the controller or the online gameing. and as said no chat happens when your online.
PJ RISING
PJ RISING
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  palindromic BOB Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:42 pm

The Big Black Dust collector isn't without it's problems. The only thing is the RROD looks much cooler than the YLOD the BBDC gets.
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Palindromic Bob
Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2009-01-27
TGD Reputation : 63
TGD Elite Member Points : 6791

Back to top Go down

Post  PJ RISING Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:58 pm

My xbox is back now, i must say its been quick and they have given me a new one. thats a plus for xbox cos i've heard the The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's takes longer to repair about 4mths i've been told.
PJ RISING
PJ RISING
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am

I think I'm going to be getting one soon... Neutral

To be fair, there are some great games out for it, and mos of the people at my work have it over a 360, so it'll give me ample opportunity to spank them at games. Gonna wait a few weeks and get a sexy slim one though, never liked the giant brick of a thing!

Back to top Go down

Post  BungholioMcOral Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:27 am

The failure rate of both systems is about the same, I have had 3 xboxs die and 4 Ps3s die in the last 2 years.

network wise xbox is a big winner, on the graphics side there are slight differences between systems with the The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's having the edge but not mindblowingly.

The only time I go the The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's now is for gamebattles on cod waw and cod4 once a week.
BungholioMcOral
BungholioMcOral
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : BungHolioMcOral
Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2009-06-09
TGD Reputation : 3
TGD Elite Member Points : 5596

Back to top Go down

Post  palindromic BOB Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:43 pm

The music video thing on PSN is my fav feature on the The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's and between it and blu-ray I'd consider getting one but I hate the controller so would never really play. I'd need to wait a untill I've got a good bit of money before I ge one.
palindromic BOB
palindromic BOB
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Palindromic Bob
Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2009-01-27
TGD Reputation : 63
TGD Elite Member Points : 6791

Back to top Go down

Post  saintjeff Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:54 pm

My The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's just recently got the YLOD. 60gb day one release model. Could get it repaired but i'm holding out and buying the slim in september. It's a great console and it's all coming good now with some top games on the horizon. I'm no big fan of either console really, theyre both unreliable bags of poo. I'm a fan of games though and i know if i only owned one of them then i would feel like i'm missing out on what the other console has to offer.

Oh, and automatically changing the wording of sonys console in posts is a bit sad really.

saintjeff
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : saintjeff
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-01-08
TGD Reputation : 4
TGD Elite Member Points : 5619

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:15 pm

For as many people that found it offensive being named the The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's on here, many more had some amusement out of it and we are a 360 only site to avoid any conflict at all.
Its only a laugh Laughing
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dangerous Dave Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:57 pm

it all is down to personal choice when its 360 vs The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's, i have both and i dont play on my The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's i dont even play blu ray on it as i have sky hd(which will soon be on xbox) and the picture quality is just as good.

i will say if you think call of duty or any other 360 game will be just as good online on The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's as it is on xbox you are greatly mistaken, there is a world of difference onlne number 1 reason is online The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's users dont talk at all i mean at all.

i have had xbox's for years now and only once have i had rrod, bearing in mind my 360 is on 6 hours per day. few simple things to follow to help 1st is keep it cool £20 nyko fan is better than a £60 repair bill from microsoft. 2nd and most imporant is dont treat your 360 like a piece of poop Q- would you turn your pc off mid game by holding in the power button? A- no and if you do there is a good chance sooner rather than later you pc will have problems, start your xbox viaajoypad and shut down by first going back to dashboard then after a min shut down via controller, alot of people say also remove any discs before shutdown.

i hope my points help but you may goto the dark side and prefer it, that is of course if you are a mute and hate online gaming.
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : OSK DOMINATI0N
Number of posts : 81
TGD Reputation : 5
TGD Elite Member Points : 5692

http://www.cakefarts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:37 pm

Great post Dave!

It amused me how many times you got the words The Big Black Dust Collector that plays DVD's in it! Laughing

I will hold a poll soon for a new name for it when this one wears out.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  saintjeff Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:47 pm

Don't get me wrong, it doesnt offend me calling any console/game etc. i just think its bloody childish to do so and best left to the kids on the official forums for either console when this is supposed to be a mature one. I do think the age liimit is set too low on here though and is why i dont visit the site much. I'm 38, to me 21 years olds are still kids and talk shite most of the time. Play the games and forget what console it's on. Theyre both the same in the end.

saintjeff
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : saintjeff
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-01-08
TGD Reputation : 4
TGD Elite Member Points : 5619

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next