The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rise Of The Tomb Raider Review

+7
dazzamann
KENT HAMMER
Kev Lar 1
Tricky34
minkey_monkey
Sedgendary
Martin McCurdie
11 posters

Go down

Rise Of The Tomb Raider Review Empty Rise Of The Tomb Raider Review

Post  Martin McCurdie Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:26 am

Rise Of The Tomb Raider Review Ice-to10

Rise Of The Tomb Raider Review - Lara Croft's Finest Hour

Rise Of The Tomb Raider is quite simply the best game I've played so far on the Xbox One.  It is a shear rip roaring adventure from start to finish with jaw dropping graphics and edge of your seat action with production values that truly are a match for Naughty Dog  at their best.

And yet Crystal Dynamics have done an excellent job of defining Tomb Raider again and setting it apart from Uncharted and regained some of it's own identity with a strong focus on story telling and high level action but does well at bringing back the challenging platforming and puzzle solving in the tombs of the title that are more reminiscent of the older games though not nearly as complex they are highly enjoyable.  Most of the tombs are optional extras and are an aside from the main story.

There are lots of side quests and collectables which vary in their quality and level of depth much like most other games with side missions though a lot of them are enjoyable extras many equate to simple fetch quests and busy work that are common place in a lot of other games but as optional extras they provide some nice distractions.  The optional challenge tombs on the other hand are an essential part of the overall experience and are all brilliant and varied with just the right amount of puzzle solving to give you a good sense of satisfaction in figuring them out but wont leave you scratching your head for days like some of the older games.  They have all been lavished with the same polish and high production values as the main campaign and are far more than the simple side tombs in the last game that seemed like an afterthought because they suddenly remembered the game had Tomb Raider on the box.

The crafting and upgrade system is deep and varied with plenty of freedom in choosing upgrades that suit your play style.  I didn't mange to unlock every skill and upgrade in one play through so there is scope for multiple plays to try different upgrades out but annoyingly no new game plus mode to try and unlock everything.  Combat is excellent great gunplay and lots of freedom in approach, you can use stealth and pick off enemies silently from the trees and bushes with the bow or silenced weapons or go on a bloody rampage with guns blazing or even sneak past without killing anyone in most sections though some force you into all out action.  New gear and weapons allow access to new areas in the Metroidvania style with some series staples like the grappling hook making a welcome return as well as being able to swim underwater though a bit more underwater exploration would have been nice as these sections are entirely linear.  My only real disappointment is that there are no vehicle sections usually a series staple and the setting is simply crying out for a high speed snow mobile section, maybe next time.

Overall its an outstanding package and even if you just played the main story and the extra tombs you're looking at a good 15 hours of which I enjoyed every single minute as a long term fan though the game is perfectly approachable for someone who is brand new to the series and although I would recommend playing the last game before this new one because it is excellent despite the aforementioned disappointing tombs it also reinvents the character of Lara Croft, though it isn't essential as everything you need to know is explained perfectly well in the new game for newcomers without prior knowledge.

Crystal Dynamics have done an outstanding job of rebooting my favourite game series and I really couldn't be happier with Rise Of The Tomb Raider as it truly lives up to it's forebears and they have transformed the female bond type one dimensional sex symbol of Lara Croft into a much more believable and human character and a hero who you can truly look up to and admire and is an utter joy to play as.
9/10

Big Angry Dad82(gamertag)

Martin McCurdie
unaddicted
unaddicted

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2015-05-16
TGD Reputation : 7
TGD Elite Member Points : 3510

Back to top Go down

Rise Of The Tomb Raider Review Empty Re: Rise Of The Tomb Raider Review

Post  Sedgendary Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:06 am

great review mate.I loved this game, spent about 48 hours on a 100% Survival playthrough and got all but 4 skills within that.

I think it is worth noting that unlike the reboot Rise of the Tomb Raider does not have a rubbish multiplayer but instead has a Score Attack mode where you score by killing enemies, collecting the collectables and special score attack extras to keep a score multiplyer going. In this mode you also have cards which you can earn in game by completing challenges or purchasing packs with IAPs these change the gameplay up slightly by giving you certain abilities or weapons or altering how you heal or interact with things or just crazy things like having a rainbow stream behind you.
Sedgendary
Sedgendary
TGD News Hound
TGD News Hound

XBOX Gamertag : Sedgendary
Number of posts : 1254
Registration date : 2014-10-01
TGD Reputation : 96
TGD Elite Member Points : 5228

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin McCurdie Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:32 am

Cheers Segendary yeah I haven't even mentioned the expedition modes in my review. It's hard to remember everything the game is massive just so much content. One of the most complete all around packages Ive seen this gen too. Plus there's still 3 sizeable DLCs to come yet. I'll definitely be picking up the season pass soon!

Martin McCurdie
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:42 am

Nice review. Might check this out one day if I ever leave eso Smile
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8099
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14188

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:44 am

Nice review mate, I'm looking forward to playing it. But i'll have to wait until christmas.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7254
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13280

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Lar 1 Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:43 am

Awesome review mate. I haven't played much of this but what I've played I have enjoyed.
Kev Lar 1
Kev Lar 1
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Kev Lar 1
Number of posts : 3259
Registration date : 2009-01-26
TGD Reputation : 70
TGD Elite Member Points : 9450

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:05 am

Nice review mate.

Once I finish the previous games I will look for it in a sale etc

Moved it to unofficial as we need to encourage the publisher to send us review codes I can provide you guys etc
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13824
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25610

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin McCurdie Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:53 am

Yeah no worries. Not really played any good indies in a while or seen anything coming out soon. Except Unravel that looks awesome. I am going to try Knight Squad soon if anyone fancies playing it online gimme a shout also that Van Helsing game that's free with gold this week looks interesting so I'm gonna work on reviews for those two. I think Van Helsing has coop in it too so again gimme a shout if you wanna try it with me.

Martin McCurdie
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin McCurdie Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:54 am

Anyone know when Ori & The Blind Forest DLC is coming out? Was meant to be this year.

Martin McCurdie
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzamann Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:34 pm

Nice review mate
dazzamann
dazzamann
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : dazzamann
Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2009-02-22
TGD Reputation : 13
TGD Elite Member Points : 7153

Back to top Go down

Post  CalculatdRisque Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:18 am

You ake it sound really good, may add it to the top of my rental list Very Happy
CalculatdRisque
CalculatdRisque
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : CalculatdRisque
Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2014-05-23
TGD Reputation : 6
TGD Elite Member Points : 3907

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Nice work mate. Want want want this. The last game is one of my fave games of recent years although it wasn't really classic tomb raidery enough for my liking.

I want that feeling of isolation at times from a Tomb Raider like the good old days.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13363

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin McCurdie Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:50 pm

Rise goes a long way to capturing the feel of the old TRs, especially in the tombs though they aren't quite as mind bending as the older games they are fairly challenging about as good as we can expect in an age where everything is tailored for mass appeal. But they are very very good. Where this new rebooted series succeeds is in its story telling and character development of Lara Croft and she really comes into her own in Rise to become a hero you can really get behind (no pun intended Wink. Plus she is a much more human and a much more grounded every woman which makes the whole thing all the more believable. Its also took alot of inspiration from the Batman Arkham games giving you new equipment throughout the adventure which mixes up the gameplay as well as some nods to previous games' equipment that are especially a joy to knowing fans like myself and can also be used to go back to previous areas to open up new paths ala Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania.

Martin McCurdie
unaddicted
unaddicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:06 am

Nice review mate I really enjoyed the first one so an looking forward to giving this one a go
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9056

Back to top Go down

Post  Stee01 Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:49 am

I know its a bit late but its better than nothing lol. Nice review there, enjoyed the little read there. Will be picking this up soon.
Stee01
Stee01
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Stee01
Number of posts : 826
TGD Reputation : 11
TGD Elite Member Points : 6406

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:27 am

Really looking forward to playing this, having just played through the Free Trial that is now available.

The intro looked and played just as good as the previous game. Just gotta wait a few days to be able to play the rest of it now.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7254
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13280

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content