The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sony's adding PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility to the PS4

5 posters

Go down

Sony's adding PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility to the PS4 Empty Sony's adding PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility to the PS4

Post  LethalThreat74 Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:17 am

Sony's adding PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility to the ps4

Sony and Electronic Arts have a Star Wars: Battlefront PlayStation 4 bundle available right now and with it comes a quartet of games from a long time ago and a galaxy far, far away (or at least as far as the PlayStation 2 era). Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, Star Wars Racer: Revenge and Super Star Wars come with the bundle via a single download code, and all bar one appear to be the original PS2 games running in emulation. The discovery comes via the tech-minded folks over at Digital Foundry who spotted a number of clues suggesting backwards compatibility had finally arrived. The evidence is in the details. As DF noted, the sophomore console's select and start buttons have been mapped to either side of the DualShock 4's touchpad, something only Sony, rather than Lucasarts Interactive can do.

Oh, and there's an even bigger giveaway: a PS2 logo appears when you launch each game. Need more proof? "All in-game button prompts" are relative to the DualShock 2 which means these aren't remastered versions of the games. So, local emulation of classic games so long as you download them, and there's no monthly subscription fee. Sounds familiar, right? We're expecting a Star Wars-themed package in the mail from EA tomorrow so perhaps this is what that is. We've reached out to Sony for more information about the backwards compatibility and will update this post should the company respond.

Update: And just like that, Sony has confirmed backwards compatibility is coming, telling Wired: "We are working on utilizing PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation ... We have nothing further to comment at this point in time."

SOURCE: Eurogamer

LethalThreat74
LethalThreat74
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : LethalThreat74
Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2015-01-11
TGD Reputation : 27
TGD Elite Member Points : 4623

Back to top Go down

Sony's adding PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility to the PS4 Empty Re: Sony's adding PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility to the PS4

Post  KENT HAMMER Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:25 pm

Ok, this is good news.

But to be great news they need to add trophies to PS2 games.

I would fucking love to play riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge racer and Dynasty warriors 3, 4 & 5 for trophies
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25621

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Sony's adding PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility to the PS4 Empty Re: Sony's adding PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility to the PS4

Post  Ba5sett Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:11 am

Apparently it includes trophy support but this isn't backward compatibility in the same way as the 360 and the Xbox one it will be the same as the ps2 functionality in the PS3 where Sony will be using the tech to make ps2 games available for purchase and download on the ps4 via psn
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9066

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:29 am

Ba5sett wrote:Apparently it includes trophy support but this isn't backward compatibility in the same way as the 360 and the Xbox one it will be the same as the ps2 functionality in the PS3 where Sony will be using the tech to make ps2 games available for purchase and download on the ps4 via psn

I did wonder if that was the case. Thanks for clarifying that Bassett. Not too bothered coz I've still got my PS2 and all my games but it would be have been nice to have something to fall back on should my hardware fail I guess. I do worry about my ps2 dying as it's immaculate. Could do with getting a couple of backup consoles really.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13373

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:48 pm

What are the odds we don't get the best games released though!

I want PES3, Ridge racer, Dynasty Warriors and Devil May Cry and Timesplitters
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25621

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Thommo Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:03 am

Onimusha please and Vice City. Cool
Thommo
Thommo
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2009-07-20
TGD Reputation : 32
TGD Elite Member Points : 6699

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum