The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Table Top Racing. A Playstation Vita Review

+3
CalculatdRisque
KENT HAMMER
Colne Crusader
7 posters

Go down

Table Top Racing. A Playstation Vita Review Empty Table Top Racing. A Playstation Vita Review

Post  Colne Crusader Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Table Top Racing. A Playstation Vita Review Ttr70010
A Playrise Digital game
Published by: Ripstone
Price: £4.99

Table Top Racing is a colourful and fun combat racer in which you pilot a range of miniature vehicles across a series of table top (as the name suggests) tracks. Think Mario Kart, Micromachines and Crash Team Racing et al, and you know what you are dealing with.  You compete across a series of Championships and other single events in a variety of race types. You win races to earn the wonga to buy new, funky vehicles, and upgrade existing ones.  Depending on the race type you are currently in, there are crates scattered across the track that, when driven over, will equip you with one of several weapons that you can use to scupper your foes' plans. The weapons include, bombs, homing missiles, and a local radius EMP attack. Alternatively, you may pick up a boost, which, when triggered will give you a second or two of extra speed depending on your current vehicle status. These weapons can also be used defensively. A well timed EMP for example, will negate a foe's incoming homing missile which adds a nice level of strategy.

The game was developed by Nick Burcombe who interestingly was the lead designer for the original Wipeout game that launched with the Playstation 1 in 1995 amongst other things.

Table Top Racing. A Playstation Vita Review Ttr_0210
Ooosh! Just missed that EMP blast radius!

As you can see from the screenshots, the environs are really pretty and vibrant and you can view the action in a traditional behind the car view, or as a top down racer, a la Micromachines. This is a lovely option, and really adds to the overall appeal of the game I would think.  There are also a number of really nice graphical effects employed too, and overall, the visuals are really good, and make some decent use of the Vita's power which is often forgotten about it seems lately.

Table Top Racing. A Playstation Vita Review Table-10

Table Top Racing is perfect for the Vita.  It's ideal for having a quick blast as it is so simple to get into, but it's also great for prolonged sessions. Progressing through the campaigns/championships in racing games can often be quite a grind at times.  I didn't find that to be the case with Table Top Racing though.  Each championship has a series of different kinds of events, as I mentioned earlier. These range from the standard battle race, to Time Trials and also chase events, where you have to catch and nudge another car within a time limit. It really varies things up, and you find yourself doing just one more event.

In addition to the grouped event Championships, there are a series of Drift events and a whole wad of individual special events to blast through too, and you will really want to try and get three stars in them all.  Ad hoc and Online multiplayer modes are also provided for those who want to play against real people.  There is plenty of game here for your hard earned.

The other component to the gameplay is the unlocking and upgrading of new vehichles.  In game currency allows you to improve the stats of your rides, including speed, handling, acceleration and armour.
You can also buy paint jobs and different tyres.  The various tyre types can add quite a bit of strategy to proceedings as there are tyres that allow you to bounce, which allow you to access certain shortcuts on the tracks. There are also tyres that nulify your opponents' weapons, and ones that stop anyone foolish enough to try and pass you at close quarters.  Choosing the right tyres for a particular track or event type can certainly give you an edge, or improve your chance of a three star performance.  There is the option to purchase in game coins via micro transaction, but thankfully this is not a necessity to game progression. Hooray for that!!

Table Top Racing. A Playstation Vita Review Ttr110

Overall, I found Table Top Racing to be a lovely little game. The customization is surprisingly deeper than I expected, and I can see myself returning to the game for a quick blast for years to come. The only criticisms I have are that more could have been made of the tracks. I would have liked to have seen some environmental hazards provided. Certainly some static ones, and perhaps even some animated or real time hazards. Spillages, holes, collapsing features etc.  It's all a wee bit lifeless despite the beauty of the things. I would have also liked to have seen maybe some more expansive tracks, such as you find in Mario Kart to complement the tight, hectic ones. Wider areas that might have allowed for different strategies perhaps. I know they are set on table tops which is by nature going to mean small tight spaces etc, but every race is always very tight, narrow and compact. Your opponents are always breathing down your neck and you know that if your opponent has an EMP or a missile then you are more than likely to get hit. This is not necessarily a negative but I just would have liked to see that strategic variety in the game.  On the plus side, this does make for superb nerve wracking combat racing and the lead can change over and over in the space of a few seconds. I would have liked the difficulty to have been set slightly higher though too, but those are the only real negatives I can find here.

A highly recommended game. Much better than I expected. Takes a little while to get going but it really grows on you. For £4.99 this is another essential new game for the Vita. Go and geddit!

Last edited by Colne Crusader on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13376

Back to top Go down

Table Top Racing. A Playstation Vita Review Empty Re: Table Top Racing. A Playstation Vita Review

Post  KENT HAMMER Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:48 pm

I love this game! 9/10
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25624

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Table Top Racing. A Playstation Vita Review Empty Re: Table Top Racing. A Playstation Vita Review

Post  CalculatdRisque Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Cool review, loved Micro Machines back in the day. Forgive my ignorance does the Vita have tilt controls or is it thumbpad type?
CalculatdRisque
CalculatdRisque
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : CalculatdRisque
Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2014-05-23
TGD Reputation : 6
TGD Elite Member Points : 3920

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:16 pm

CalculatdRisque wrote:Cool review, loved Micro Machines back in the day. Forgive my ignorance does the Vita have tilt controls or is it thumbpad type?

The Vita does have that capability, but the game does not exploit them.

Thanks for your question! Lol.  Very Happy 

Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Great review Colne! The top-down view does look very 'Micro Machines' indeed, makes me want to crack out Micro Machines V3 and stick it in the PS3. Or maybe go all out, set up the Mega Drive and bust out the superior Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 96!
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8547

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:25 pm

Waggly Bean wrote:Great review Colne! The top-down view does look very 'Micro Machines' indeed, makes me want to crack out Micro Machines V3 and stick it in the PS3. Or maybe go all out, set up the Mega Drive and bust out the superior Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 96!

Megadrive all the way homey!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzamann Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:53 am

Great review, might have to get this
dazzamann
dazzamann
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : dazzamann
Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2009-02-22
TGD Reputation : 13
TGD Elite Member Points : 7166

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:58 am

Brings back memories of 8 people around the telly. 2 people on each pad lolz, great fun.

Back to top Go down

Post  Copernicus Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Looks fun

Copernicus
unaddicted
unaddicted

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-07-08
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 3599

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:38 pm

its a great game this and loving playing through it. thought at first it was very easy but blow me later in the game it is bloody hard at times
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10060

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu May 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Playrise Digital has announced that Table Top Racing for PS Vita will be receiving a permanent price drop in North America from today, with the UK and Europe set to follow next week. The game's price tag will come down by 75%.

"The 75% price drop down from $7.99/£4.99, brings TTR Vita in line with the premium mobile versions of the game", said Playrise CEO Nick Burcombe. "We hope the price drop will help to whet the appetite of gamers before we hit them with our current project, the all new next generation 'TTR: World Tour', fast approaching for PS4!”

Table Top Racing for PS Vita is available in North America now for $2.99 as opposed to the previous price of $7.99. From 20th May the price will be £1.99/€2.99 in the UK and Europe respectively.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25624

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Thu May 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Absolute bargain!!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzamann Fri May 15, 2015 7:58 am

I like a bargain, might have to get this finally
dazzamann
dazzamann
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : dazzamann
Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2009-02-22
TGD Reputation : 13
TGD Elite Member Points : 7166

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum