The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Namco Museum Collection

2 posters

Go down

Namco Museum Collection Empty Namco Museum Collection

Post  squiddy Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Namco Museum Collection

If you're the kind of gamer that fondly remembers feeding ten pence pieces into squawking, garishly-coloured machines before getting your backside handed to you by gameplay created by sadistic Japanese developers then the idea of a compilation of over twenty arcade classics may seem like a good idea. Especially when it comes from the aged devs over at Namco. I mean, they made Pac-Man, Galaga and numerous other iconic arcade titles. That has to be worth something, right?

Add to that all of Namco's Xbox Live Arcade output as well and you've got a yourself a bit of a bargain. Well, yes and no. It depends on you and how you answer the following question. 'Do you have a burning desire to play countless versions of Pac-Man?' If you answered 'yep! I went to a special school and am cursed to be parted with my money the second I get my hands on it' then get ready for generic, repetitive fun right up the wazoo. However, if you're a tad more discerning then there are a few things you know before you seek this compilation out.

Namco Museum Collection Screen1

The XBLA part of this disc has nine games on it. Of these, one is essential (Pac-Man: CE - which is a luscious, reinvigorated version of the original game with tight gameplay and great presentation), three are okay but nothing special (Dig Dug, New Rally X and 2008's Galaga Legions which is an interesting but ultimately flawed shooter with some horrific difficulty spikes) and the rest are, putting it nicely, utter cack (Pac-Man, Ms Pac-Man, Mr Driller Online, Xevious and Galaga.

On the Marketplace that lot will add up to over forty quid which makes this sound bargainous. Personally, I'd just stick with Pac-Man: CE and forget the rest. Still, achievement junkies might be tempted by the wealth of easily attained gamerscore available from these games.

The rest of the disc features twenty-two straight up ports and three, mostly awful, 'Arrangement' versions (Pac-Man, Galaga and Dig Dug - of which only the last one is worth looking at more than once). This collection spans the usual Namco nonsense including another three versions of bloody Pac-Man, more Galaga, the Pole Position games and a bunch of other stuff that really should have been buried in history and not regurgitated every year by Namco.

Namco Museum Collection Screen2

There are some gems though, namely Rolling Thunder (a slick, spy-based shooter that still looks and plays as nicely as ever), Metro-Cross (a quirky side-scroller that has you racing through obstacles on foot against the clock) and Galaga '88 (easily the best in the series). However, these are strictly bare-boned ports with this part of the disc featuring no bonuses at all. No videos, no artwork, no achievements, no online modes and no leaderboards.

So the bottom line is: don't buy unless you're some kind of Namco junkie and, if you are, maybe you'd be off getting addicted to heroin instead? It'll be better for you in the long run. The arbitrary-score-oh-tron says...

3/10.

Achievements:

Available points: 1800 (across the nine XBLA titles).
Easy maxes (200 points each): Dig Dug, New Rally X, Xevious, Pac-Man: CE.

squiddy
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : peacesquid
Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-05-29
TGD Reputation : 18
TGD Elite Member Points : 5950

Back to top Go down

Namco Museum Collection Empty Re: Namco Museum Collection

Post  KENT HAMMER Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:04 pm

Great review mate!