The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eventually the reality of same old same old bites

+2
GrahamOfTheDead
KENT HAMMER
6 posters

Go down

eventually the reality of same old same old bites Empty eventually the reality of same old same old bites

Post  Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:44 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Biggest part of that article for me is the line 'As a result, it lowered its global Wii U sales forecast for the business year from nine million to 2.8 million units - a cut of nearly 70%'

that's a massive re adjustment in any forecast but not a surprise to me

The new ninty network id idea is too little too late but at least some step forward
Whilst I was away from here I did successfully manage to get my old ninty id unattached from my star account and was able to finally link my 3ds and new wiiu together. To be fair their customer support was excellent but even they admitted that it was a nightmare everytime someone lost or had stolen a device.

They have needed a troph/ach system and a bunch of new ip for donkeys (kong) years, and the lack of these and a decent online profile and account system and a set of more grown up titles linked to their pro controller has imho left them out of the current and next gen race.

This is very sad but no matter how good your idea is there is only so far that one idea will go and Wii Sports just was not going to keep afloat a giant forever

Lets hope this is a wake up call and they heed the market force

Switching off the menu muzaks would be a starter lol

Back to top Go down

eventually the reality of same old same old bites Empty Re: eventually the reality of same old same old bites

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:23 pm

I agree they need achieves and better online gaming.
They have virtually nothing playable online on Wii U only some 3rd party titles nobody owns.

BUT MiiVerse is a really great community. Posting screenshots of what you have just done is good and its a quick way of asking questions and getting help.

They just need to follow this path abit more.

I know they hate to copy others though, so can't see them adding achieves sadly
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25622

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

eventually the reality of same old same old bites Empty Re: eventually the reality of same old same old bites

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:28 pm

When they try new IPs (see Wonderful 101) nobody buys them.

2 of the best games of last year (Lego City, Mario 3D World) were on the Wii U, so it's a shame to see it fail like it has.
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11085

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:53 pm

well its not impossible they can rise like a phoenix

If you think back to the awful results Sony posted a few years back and how the ps3 was a truly poor second in everyway to the 360

They must have spoken to some proper gamers as since its release we have a better heavier rumble controller, much better update system, PS plus which is a game changer in itself, and the addition of trophies

All of this plus the free games they doled out when their security was breached, have helped them back into the fold and stopped the ps3 from being only for Sony fanbois and folks who wanted a cheap blurry player

If Ninty could focus on things that enhance its current collection of characters rather than constantly rehashing them, and add some form of trophy system to encourage game completion (I take onboard GOTDs point about Lego City but as soon as I had finished the storyline I had nothing to drag me back to doing everything else and that's what achs are ace at), and also a must is to add an option to turn off the fucking tinny tunes that plague everything they do. Innovation is one thing but the 2 great new ninty ideas were matched by dreadful implementation.
Wii motion controller was too flaky to be on any use in 99% of games except Wii Sports and the new Tomy Time controller is a very strange concept in as much as you have to look at a tiny screen for things when you are playing supposedly in HD on a beautiful big tv. Add in the 2 hours battery life and for me the controller is the second biggest reason behind the cunty muzak for me not using my Wiiu.

I know they have always tried to do it their way, but I firmly believe they have traded for 10 years too long on past glories and unless they radically get back in line with what gamers like me want then they will be toast.

I know a lot of folks have differing views to mine, but the data is clearly backing up my opinion.

Fingers crossed they have a good rethink as the market place will be poorer without them

I am going to write to the head honcho at some point with my 2p worth.

What do you lot reckon will save them?

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:54 pm

The most simple thing they could do is add trophys of some kind.

3D world has stamps you collect and you must collect all 3 green stars so it would be easy to include.

People post on Miiverse all the time about completing game and getting all S Ranks etc so its nearly there.

Weird you talk about the menu muzak though Big E, that is not even on my radar. when I do hear it it makes me smile as I know you hate it, so you have made me love it I guess!

Like GOTD says Lego and 3D World piss on anything on any other system for fun level.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25622

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:37 pm

KENT HAMMER wrote:The most simple thing they could do is add trophys of some kind.

3D world has stamps you collect and you must collect all 3 green stars so it would be easy to include.

People post on Miiverse all the time about completing game and getting all S Ranks etc so its nearly there.

Weird you talk about the menu muzak though Big E, that is not even on my radar. when I do hear it it makes me smile as I know you hate it, so you have made me love it I guess!

Like GOTD says Lego and 3D World piss on anything on any other system for fun level.

love the muzak or hate it, would you not agree that in 2014, I should have the option to switch it off in the menus?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jevil Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:54 pm

I can't really see nintendo implementing chievos/trophies into their games for some reason but maybe that's probably just my mindset on the company as a whole, but although I dont have much games for it at the moment I've never really regretted my purchase. Only got MH3U, Nintendo Land (which I oddly love, maybe cause the games in it are decent and beat my expectations brought in by the wii's wii sports/play games), new Super Mario Bros U and more than a few virtual console games.

The future title by Monolith Software and Smash bros are the reasons I bought the console and they aren't out yet everything til then is a bonus to the experience imo.

I do love the Miiverse community though, for the most part they are very friendly and like Kent said the screenshot feature is always nice, a concrete picture of braggish you accomplished there and then plus the fact you can draw your post on Miiverse is always nice  bounce 

In my eyes Nintendo have always been doing their own thing so I'm not too worried about the fate of them per se. I know it wont keep up with the xbox one and ps4 before I bought it but its not collecting dust like my wii did even if my ps3/360 are getting more playtime than it.  Razz 
Jevil
Jevil
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Jevil Badger
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2012-02-25
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4781

https://www.youtube.com/user/MageJevil

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:16 pm

I love what Ninty do personally, but the market has changed. They simply need to do what they did with the SNES generation. The SNES won the war with the Megadrive because it was more powerful, was released at the right time and had a great and diverse library of games. SIMPLES. People want the most powerful console, as well as a decent library. Trying to steal a march on the competition by releasing early never works out in the long run as history shows.

When I was a kid, Ninty was a credible platform. I'm not sure that's the case now in the eyes of many of today's younger gamers, as they were brought up with Playstation and Xbox and only know ninty as an also ran or a slightly off kilter brand. Plus, they are all into COD and a few select established IP's. They don't wanna play everything like us gaming connoisseurs.

I think they should go head to head with Sony and MS. If they release hardware that can compete, I'm sure it would sell, and they would have the third party support to keep the platform going and provide a stable base for their in house properties to thrive on.

But anyway, none of this means anything to the bigwigs at Ninty. I'm sure they'll do their own thing as usual. Also, I think Shigeru has already said that Achievement type systems are against their ethos, so there's probably no chance of that happening.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13374

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:47 pm

Colne Crusader wrote:The SNES won the war with the Megadrive...
No way, SNES didn't win! Mega Drive is KING!  I love you
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8545

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:51 pm

Waggly Bean wrote:
Colne Crusader wrote:The SNES won the war with the Megadrive...
No way, SNES didn't win! Mega Drive is KING!  I love you
Hee hee! Poor old Waggs!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13374

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:18 pm

I think Nintendo will be ok, the 3ds had a fairly limp start but last year was probably my most played system because there were so many great games released on it. It's started to sell really well too, but this is despite the 3d rather than because of it I think the wii u might follow a similar path, nobody is really bothered about the touch screen but the games are coming Mario is one of the best games I've played in ages and despite being just another Mario sequel manages to fit more innovation into a single level than some games do over an entire 20 hour campaign, lack of third party support may hurt them but I can see the wii-u dropping to about £100 by Christmas and have a solid line up of Nintendo titles backing it up once this happens and they sell more I can see the third party support following
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9067

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum