The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lone Survivor 'The Director’s Cut’ released PS3/Vita £9.99 (cross-play)

3 posters

Go down

Lone Survivor 'The Director’s Cut’ released PS3/Vita £9.99 (cross-play)  Empty Lone Survivor 'The Director’s Cut’ released PS3/Vita £9.99 (cross-play)

Post  TreeMunky Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:26 pm

From the developers website.

so what is The Director’s Cut, exactly?

i won’t try to describe the original game again, much has already been written and said about it, and i prefer to leave the interpretations up to the players. especially with interactive media, everyone’s perception of a story is different and, to me, equally valid.

Lone Survivor has been lucky enough to have found a following, all of whom have their own interpretation of the game. and for those fans especially, i have made The Director’s Cut. it contains some elements which didn’t quite make it to the original game because they seemed too elaborate and i needed to get the game out, it contains a lot of new ideas which i’ve had since releasing the last update a year and a half ago (and having since had time to think more about my own interpretation), and it has a sort of meta-narrative which ties it all together which emerged as i began to work on it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

on top of this, the game has been polished, fixed, tweaked and honed in hundreds of different ways. i spent weeks improving the look of the lighting, and even found and fixed bugs that the 800,000+ people who own the game had hadn’t yet reported!

PlayStation

i originally planned to do a fairly straight port of the original game, but when Sony said they’d be interested in new content, i started to think about whether i could implement some of these ideas. and i got a bit carried away with it. i thought it would take about six weeks, but it ended up taking around nine months!

i’ve been working tirelessly alongside Curve Studios for the whole period, not just creating the new content, but making sure the ports and all their related marketing materials are up to my (i now realise) stupidly fussy standards: drawing PS3 background images and store images myself, searching 7 years of old hard drives to re-source all the audio so that we didn’t convert from the .mp3 format the original game uses to the .ogg format that the PlayStation uses, rather, from the original .wav masters – for a marginal improvement in audio quality that only musos will hear. i’ve spent many a night uploading endlessly tweaked Photoshop marketing images to the Curve servers at 3am, or rewriting the cloud-save interface to look more ‘Lone Survivor’, repeatedly redrawing the PlayStation button images until i found the most beautiful ’6/7/8/9 pixel circle’, playing the different paths through the game time after time alongside the QA department. i have had endless email debates with the production team and Sony on how to make the trophies as cool-yet-unobtrusive as possible, i have designed the competition prizes by hand, the list goes on and on… and that’s to say nothing of the hard work Curve put in on their side!

to my knowledge, anything that could be done to make the experience better has been done, and Curve totally got that these kinds of details were important to me, and humoured me time and time again when i asked for things to be tweaked. Sony were amazing to work with (and i must send special love out to Shahid Kamal who helped make it happen in the first place), listening to my outlandish requests, and even allowing me to be one of the first ever third-party games to mess with the Trophy format, certainly the first predominantly made by one person… yes, it’s been an almighty task, but we got there in the end.

Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut is out today on PSN in USA + EU

(priced $12.99 / €12.99 / £9.99)

i hope you enjoy the game

- jasper

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Changes

i knew the fans would be the most sensitive to changes in the game, so to me the challenge was to go back and improve the original game without in any way changing or spoiling the original vision. for this reason, i decided to make the majority of the new content, including the two new endings, only accessible in New Game+. so when you play the game for the first time, it should feel as before, only far more polished and nicer to look at and listen to. but when explore it for the second time, you may discover an entire extra layer to it…

it’s been really hard to keep the details to myself for so long, but the game’s secrets are no doubt being discovered right at this very moment by the fans. i greatly look forward to hearing what you think of the new content, so be sure to share your thoughts here (or via email, see address at top-right, if you’d prefer) if you do get a chance to play it.

anyway, here’s a rundown of the new features of Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut (without spoiling the specifics of its content):

general features:

whole new lighting engine, also supports 1 extra hardware light
many locations have additional lights and / or tweaked lighting
anamorphic lens flare for the flashlight
new sleeping and game over music
new title screen and game over screen
2 additional locations
hundreds of small bug fixes, balance tweaks and improvements
automatic monster-facing on gun-draw
a few small easter eggs
new short sidequest
ending ‘collection’
‘The Ritual’
specific to New Game+:

around 6 new locations
2 completely new endings
3 new songs
over 20 new items
2 new sidequests
new enemy
new dialogue for all characters in the game
many other easter eggs that are better left unspoilt
specific to PlayStation:

trophies (including a platinum)
cloud-save (cross-play)
French & German languages (EU)
Cross Buy (buy on one format, get both PS Vita and PS3 versions)
controller support!
specific to PS Vita:

touchscreen controls for inventory, option screen & textboxes

specific to PS3:

rumbbbbbbbllllle
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6691

Back to top Go down

Lone Survivor 'The Director’s Cut’ released PS3/Vita £9.99 (cross-play)  Empty Re: Lone Survivor 'The Director’s Cut’ released PS3/Vita £9.99 (cross-play)

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Nice!

Just requested a review code.

I will pass it on to one of you guys if you fancy it and I get one!
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25622

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Lone Survivor 'The Director’s Cut’ released PS3/Vita £9.99 (cross-play)  Empty Re: Lone Survivor 'The Director’s Cut’ released PS3/Vita £9.99 (cross-play)

Post  Waggly Bean Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Wow that looks awesome!

Screenshots look familiar though - perhaps I read about it first time round but then saw it wasn't on consoles so disregarded it. Hmm. Suspect
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8545

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum