The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gears of War Judgment - The official GSA review

+10
Gabhlan
Stee01
Tenlo
Ninja Yaro
stubbymite
chrism1066
Waggly Bean
minkey_monkey
Tricky34
KENT HAMMER
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gears of War Judgment - The official GSA review - Page 2 Empty Gears of War Judgment - The official GSA review

Post  KENT HAMMER Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gears of War Judgment - The official GSA review - Page 2 Gears-10
Gears of War: Judgment
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Developers: Epic Games, People Can Fly
Reviewer: Kent Hammer

Gears of War: Judgment is set many years before the original trilogy and this time the action centres around Kilo Squad. A rag tag group of soldiers led by Damon Baird and Augustus Cole plus newcomers Sofia Hendrick and Garron Paduk.

The story this time has them trying to save the city of Halvo Bay from an overwhelming number of bad ass motherfucking grubs!

We meet the protagonists in a military courtroom and the impending drama all unfolds from here. The action is in the form of flashbacks of their testimonies and you get to play through the each act and begin to piece the stories together.

We have to usual Casual, Normal, Hardcore and Insane difficulties but the twist this time is the declassified missions. These are an optional challenge you can select at the start of each mission, by doing so you enable the easier acclumation of stars with a max of three each time. Bronze on Casual, Silver on Normal, Gold on Hardcore and Onyx on Insane. I felt this really added a great new addition to the action and it also adds great re-playability of the campaign and provides a fun and satisfying challenge.
Although getting every star on Insane will only be possible for me by making a few of you horrible scrotes play along with me whilst I hang back and snipe and revive!

Examples of declassified mission might be completing the chapter using only sawn off shotty's or all the grubs are equipped with one-shots (you barely feel death coming this way). The ones I found most challenging were either the “You have 4 minutes before the area gets Napalmed” or “The thick smoke where visibility is really challenging” but all were very rewarding and made me want to keep trying again to get that damn third star!

Most of the weapons will be familiar too fans of the series with a couple of exciting heavy duty new additions. Also the grenades are now mapped to the LB button and don't need to be selected first and the two weapons you can now hold are instantly and easily swapped by tapping Y, which I think had really made me enjoy the whole experience a lot more. Ammo and weapon drops are in abundance and this does encourage you to try out the whole armoury as you work through the campaigns. Plus the new Onyx ammo caches that refill all weapons to their maximum capacity, which is nice.

Gears of War Judgment - The official GSA review - Page 2 Gears-11

Right now for the genius bit, once you get to around 40 stars in the courtroom campaigns you unlock the hidden campaign “Aftermath”. This is a lost chapter from Gears 3 that takes place in that same time line and really adds great value to the overall package on offer here. I am being very careful not to add any story related spoilers here as its so much better when you get to break some virgin territory yourself right? *-)

Oh and I must finally add that for the campaigns and multi player Judgment introduces a new smart spawn system. This ensures that each set piece and encounter is 100% unique, because each time you play the timing, types and even the starting locations of all grubs will be changed up. This again ramps up the fun and re playability.

Now onto the multi player side of things, includes are many new and challenging maps but this time you get to jump on unsuspecting enemies from above! This is a great new addition and it really adds to the tactics being able to jump off the edges and not feel so walled in any more, Nice!

The modes included this time around include-

OverRun: A class based mode that wages the Locust against the COG in an objective-oriented mode. This is basically 5 on 5 but with new class based, competitive action. So someone will be the Medic where you can throw health stims and revive your team mates from distance or the scout who can climb to loftier heights and tag the enemies for all to see. Then we have the soldier who can throw ammo to team mates and finally the engineer who can repair all your barricades with his handy blow torch and also place sentry turrets to help kick some ass!

Domination: Again 5 Vs 5 combat where teams compete to control three rings placed throughout the maps. The first team to hit the magic 250 point mark is the winner here!

Survival: A nice new twist that kinda combines Horde and OverRun. Using the same class system as OverRun you battle against ever more mental and evil waves of grubs with the objective to survive ten waves. Flipping difficult this was with the mutes I played with online! So I truly can't wait for some series Gamerscore Addicts style 5 in a bed action!

Free for all: No not more 5 in a bed action you bloody pervs! This mode throws team tactics out the window and is a full on battle for survival against up to nine other players or bots. This is a first for the Gears series pitting COG against COG.

Team Deathmatch: This mode is a fan favourite and pits five against with a shared pool of respawns. So its a race to take them out before they deplete your own pool.

Gears of War Judgment - The official GSA review - Page 2 13424310
Achievements coming in a steady stream and you are of course rewarded for playing on insane. Plus play thru the campaign with your buddies or your mum. The more sticky grenade ones involve getting to level 50 three times over and unlocking all the ribbons but they will come in time and you can even get permanent double XP if you buy the season pass VIP thingy (oooooooh controversial!)

I can thoroughly recommend Gears of War: Judgment to both fans of the series and newcomers alike. Its great fun and offers good re-playability both alone or with friends and you cannot ask for more than that.

9/10 almost perfect!

Last edited by KENT HAMMER on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Gears of War Judgment - The official GSA review - Page 2 Empty Re: Gears of War Judgment - The official GSA review

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:04 pm

great review matey

glad everyone is enjoying the game

added to my buy list

Back to top Go down

Gears of War Judgment - The official GSA review - Page 2 Empty Re: Gears of War Judgment - The official GSA review

Post  Gabhlan Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Tricky34 wrote:Glad your enjoying it Gabs, the ghost view is now down on the Dpad and it stays on for a couple of seconds after you press it.

I'll admit I've only played a few bits of multiplayer so far but I've enjoyed what I've seen. Managed to get on the Raven gun, before being sniped with a Breachshot.
Yeah it just doesn't last long enough. I'd sometimes run around holding it in gears-3 for that ghost view would be nicer if it was on right bumper or something. Maybe I need to check the alternate control layouts. I'm sure I'll not miss it as much when I learn the map weapon spawns a little better. Should probably do a bit more exploring in private to get used to them.

My friend was having a nice time in the chopper until someone manage to toss their grenade into it Laughing
Gabhlan
Gabhlan
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Gabhlan
Number of posts : 2395
Registration date : 2009-03-24
TGD Reputation : 31
TGD Elite Member Points : 8134

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:33 am

Thanks for taking the time to read it guys, it makes it worth all the effort. Very Happy
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  D3M0NiZe Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Excellent review as always Mr hammer.I am really liking the multiplayer on this.
D3M0NiZe
D3M0NiZe
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : D3M0NiZe
Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2010-03-07
TGD Reputation : 26
TGD Elite Member Points : 6063

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Took the update last night and it reset my rank and I also lost all my unlocked weapon and character skins and medals. Motherfuckers.

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Markav wrote:Took the update last night and it reset my rank and I also lost all my unlocked weapon and character skins and medals. Motherfuckers.

That's pretty crap! *hugs* feel like a douche for saying I'm glad it didn't happen to me Sad
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14195

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:13 pm

It's happened to lots of people. It's all over the gears forums. Five years since it first happened on gears 2 and it still hasn't been fixed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:11 am

I am finally enjoying the multiplayer on this largely thanks to the new game mode "breakthrough"
The vip season pass finally paying off Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post  Ninja Yaro Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:29 am

I need to find time to give breakthrough another go, only had a couple of public matches. It seemed a lot more enjoyable than the other modes.
Ninja Yaro
Ninja Yaro
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Ninja Yaro
Number of posts : 2009
Registration date : 2010-05-29
TGD Reputation : 49
TGD Elite Member Points : 7205

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:41 am

Its best playing with a team of friends.
Playing this mode with randoms does not go well...

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:21 pm

We could give it a bash one gears and beers session
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14195

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum