The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tomb Raider

+8
Colne Crusader
Thommo
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Tricky34
KENT HAMMER
minkey_monkey
Waggly Bean
Tenlo
12 posters

Go down

Tomb Raider Empty Tomb Raider

Post  Tenlo Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Tomb Raider Final_tomb_raider_logos_with_tm_psd_jpgcopy_zps3237088a

Ask anyone over the age of 25 which are the three biggest icons in gaming and the answers you'll get will be Sonic, Mario and probably Lara Croft. During the late 90's Lara Croft dominated the gaming world with her adventures and managed to be one of the first computer game characters to really transcend into the mainstream.

However later games diluted the franchise to the point that in 2003 the original developers Core were stripped of the game and it was handed onto Crystal Dynamics who had also turned around the Legacy of Kain series. This resulted in the trilogy of titles Anniversary, Legend and Underworld which held a connecting story thread. These titles did pretty well and while they didn't bring the franchise back to its once great heights it saved the series from disappearing.

Fast forward to today and we see the franchise being returned back to its start with a story telling the origins of the Lara Croft we know and a side of here we haven't seen before. But will it be the final nail in the coffin or a glorious resurrection.

Tomb Raider Tombraider_squareenix_screenshot2_06052012_zps481d8621

With a logo bearing no resemblance to its predecessors and a title which marks its reboot credentials even more so, Tomb Raider presents you a Lara who has yet to reach the levels of confidence we know her to have. Here she is a young girl with little experience of the world's we know her from. The story begins with Lara shipwrecked on a mysterious island with her fellow crew members after a sudden storm. It's not long till they meet some of the island's current inhabitants and things go bad quickly.

It is important to note that the developers have gone to great lengths to show Lara's inexperience of this brutal world. From the very start you hear Lara reassuring herself and pushing herself forward to survive. The learning curve of the game perfectly suits the story too as you learn new skills and abilities as Lara learns to cope with the world she has found herself in. Ok I'll be honest she does learn very quickly but it doesn't seem any more unbelievable than any film or story I can remember. In fact the whole game seems centered on this feeling of Lara doing her best to survive rather than explore, from the new skills she learns to the frantic QTE events which help immerse you in the struggles she is in. In fact the QTE's for once prove their validity as you have to be quick or you will die.

Speaking of which, long term fans of the series will be glad to know that some staples of the series have remained. Lara dies - a lot if you play like me - and 9 times out of 10 she dies in a brutal way. If like me you enjoyed diving Lara off a cliff in previous titles to hear that sickening scream and bone crunch, you'll be glad to know the deaths are as brutal as ever, from machetes to the throat, crushed by rocks or impaled on long metal poles, it's a nice nod to the original series and also reinforces the fact that this is a brutal world she has found herself in, where deaths are not pleasant.

Tomb Raider Tombraider_squareenix_screenshot3_06052012_zpsf6e37dc5

The gameplay is reminiscent of classic Tomb Raider with plenty of platforming and exploring to be done and while the puzzles are noticeable in their absence at times, they do still exist but not in the number we're used to or the complexity. Aside from the optional Tombs which contain complex short puzzles to solve, most puzzles are easily solved and will not tax you as say the Sword of Damocles once did. However as you can expect in this modern day of gaming, the combat has been beefed up. While the twin pistols of old only make a guest appearance, Lara's old favs are still here with shotguns, rifles, grenade launchers and the new addition of bow complementing her single pistol arsenal. All are upgradeable through the collection of salvage and add various buffs or extras on use. The combat itself has a fantastic cover system which automatically ducks you behind cover as you approach it. No button pushing or struggling, just walk up and you're in cover. The only thing missing is a blind-fire option which while not essential feels lacking as you have to reveal your head to aim and fire when using weapons . Not a problem usually but the core weapon the bow takes a while to power up and it is frustrating to have to aim and fire while getting shot at.

The story is superb though and really helps you connect with Lara. Written by Rhianna Pratchett (the daughter of Sir Terry), it really binds the game together and with the lack of loading screens caused by a constant streaming mechanism, you rarely feel disconnected from the game, encouraging you to constantly just go that little but further. There are some superb moments in the game as well where you feel both Lara's triumphs and failures and this is a credit to both the story and the voice acting,

Speaking of the voice acting the quality of it is pretty good. Lara is portrayed superbly and while the supporting cast may feel a little stereotypical they are well performed. Overall the conversations are all worth listening to in full and often hearing out the entirety of an enemies conversation will actually aid you as they will position themselves in improved positions for silent deaths.

Graphically the game is impressive and you really feel that they've squeezed every ounce out of the engine. Every area is full of detail and the characters are well designed. With some stunning landscape views at times of sunsets and storm, it really is stunning to look at. Combine with this impressive explosions and great set pieces really makes this an impressive looking title. Plus the sight of Lara rising out of a pool of blood is truly reminiscent of great action films!

Tomb Raider 2446979-tombraider_2013_03_05_22_24_38_600_zps86efcf05

So as you may have gathered the single player campaign is pretty impressive, but what about the multiplayer aspect. Well to simplify it - well it's there. Having now put some time into the multiplayer, I can safely say its not terrible. It's solid and enjoyable with some nice additions which make it somewhat fun. However it doesn't stand out enough to really make it a long lasting piece of the title. Consisting of four different game modes - Rescue ( a variant of CTF), Cry for help ( King of the Hill), Team Deathmatch and Free-for-all. With just five maps as well, its not the meatiest of offerings. There are some nice ideas like XP gained when your losing which helps novice players and the addition of traps and natural hazards add a little spice to the mix but overall its not a fantastic offer and after you've completed the achievements there will be little tempting you back.

Speaking of achievements you'll find the unlocking will be a slow start but by the end of your first runthrough you'll have a nice number. The addition of playing after completion makes mopping up easy and the few missable achievements won't be a pain to do if you miss them due to the sheer fun of playing the game again. The MP achievements are not the toughest apart from two. The hardest apart from these will be winning a ranked version of every gametype, though a little practice shouldn't make this too difficult. The long haul will be the level 60 and purchase everything achievements. Although it can be grinded solo it will still take some time, but good news is that the shopaholic achievement should become easier to unlock soon thanks to the General being given free to all players soon whereas before you had to prestige 3 times to do it!

Putting aside the MP this has to be one of the best action games released for a number of years and will easily be a contender for game of the year. If you're a fan of platform action games you owe it to yourself to play this as it really is fantastic. The MP while nothing superb is enjoyable in small amounts but won't last for long. Personally its fantastic to see a gaming icon regain their placing among the big boys again and with hints of a sequel hidden in the game, it will be interesting to see how Crystal Dynamics improve on an already superb title.

Overall : 9/10
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11929

Back to top Go down

Tomb Raider Empty Re: Tomb Raider

Post  Waggly Bean Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:34 pm

Nice review! The more I read about this game the more I want to play it!

Not sure why they always have to bolt on unnecessary multiplayer though. It's like Bioshock 2 - did it need multiplayer? No, it sure didn't. And was it worth playing. No, it wasn't.

Oh well, better to have a mode you don't use than to lack modes you might miss.
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8540

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Good review fella. I always have an issue with TR games. For some. Reason they give me awful motion sickness
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14195

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 am

Good work mate
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 am

Great review mate, sounds like a decent game. Although I've heard its quite short too.

I think I've only ever played the first TR game on the original PlayStation, never did get round to finishing it though...
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13287

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:06 am

nice review tenners

played the orig when it was released by core and it was ace

found the first 360 game to be a little meh and still have not started the other ones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sh00t3rmcgavin2 Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:12 am

Nice review mate!
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2011-12-21
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 6171

Back to top Go down

Post  Thommo Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 am

Nice review dude, haven't played Tomb Raider since the second one, tempted to get this when it's cheaper.
Thommo
Thommo
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2009-07-20
TGD Reputation : 32
TGD Elite Member Points : 6695

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Good review mate. Written brilliantly too I may add, keep up the good work.

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 am

Good work young Tenners! You're making me want to spend money!!!!!!!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13369

Back to top Go down

Post  TreeMunky Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:00 am

Fantasist review Tenners I will be getting this in the not to distant future but I'm on a buying ban at the minute... I would point out the mistake at the beginning , clearly Boogerman, Captain Quark and the Duck Hunt dog are the three biggest gaming icons?

More of this good stuff please, been missing your daily dose of news Smile
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6686

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Started playing this yesterday and think I'm at the end now. Can't put it down. Really awesome game. 2 of my friends literally just sat and watched the whole thing. It's like a good movie to them. I wasn't expecting much but have enjoyed every minute. Definitely the best tomb raider ever imo. I already want to start again and do more exploring for the collectibles but my lovefilm runs out on Friday so gotta send it back Sad
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10113

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Bought the ltd edition of this last week and cannot wait to get it started

Just warming up my QTE reflexes lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Stunning stunning stunning game! Wait til you get to that mountain shrine! Christ!!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13369

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:41 am

Started playing through this properly at the weekend and have to say that this is great fun and one of the first games I have not been bothered about cheevs and playing through purely for the story. A great one to pick up for those that have not played yet
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10053

Back to top Go down

Post  Lighthouseman Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Yep with you on that Stubbs . Great game and storie.  Cool 
Lighthouseman
Lighthouseman
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : lighthouseman
Number of posts : 3356
Registration date : 2009-06-19
TGD Reputation : 44
TGD Elite Member Points : 9484

http://Howard.miller@symingtons.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:03 am

the bone version is apparently half price this week on the xbox store

having played the ps4 next gen one I can heartily recommend it as the visuals will be ace

just a shame about the mp and the mass of ach/troph you will miss because of it

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:11 am

I have been reading that you can get a lot of them on your own in mp so I'll have to try and hope for the rest  Rolling Eyes 
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10053

Back to top Go down

Post  Lighthouseman Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:30 am

Stubbs
Me and tricky will play the MP with you , we need chivo's.
Lighthouseman
Lighthouseman
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:53 am

Lighthouseman wrote:Stubbs
Me and tricky will play the MP with you , we need chivo's.

Yeah we will mate. I've got a couple of multiplayer cheeves on my own, but there are a couple that you need 2/3 players minimum. This is one game i would love to have maxxed out.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13287

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:58 am

tenners....any tips on how to bag mp stuff solo?

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:11 pm

I'll send a PM later when I get home to tell you, a lot of it I managed to actually get legit through play but its the level achievements which can be done solo, if you're talking about the Xbone version, I'll be starting that soon if you need a hand with any particular MP cheevs
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11929

Back to top Go down

Post  Lighthouseman Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Play every MP game - just set the lowest levels of time etc. I think its four game modes and takes about 30 mins on your own.

Survive ten explosions- SET UP chasm. You will need to be a survivor. Choose frag grenade. Stand about six feet away from a wall and chuck grenade. You should just survive. Wait till health is full and the do again x10.
Lighthouseman
Lighthouseman
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down