The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The PS4 will play second hand games!

+3
kinmad4it
minkey_monkey
KENT HAMMER
7 posters

Go down

The PS4 will play second hand games! Empty The PS4 will play second hand games!

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Sony's next gen PS4 console will not block users from playing second hand games, says Sony executive Shuhei Yoshida

Game retailers and gamers alike can breathe a sigh of relief as it emerges that Sony's next-gen PS4 console will not block second-hand games. In an interview with gaming website Eurogamer, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said second-hand games will be able to function on the new Sony gaming console.

In an interview with Eurogamer, Yoshida said he didn't want players to be stopped from playing a game they'd purchased on multiple devices.

"The general expectation by consumers is, if they purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation," he said to Eurogamer Editor, Tom Bramwell.

He further clarified Sony's position by stating, "used games can play on PS4."

Yoshida's comments will hopefully answer months of speculation stemming from reports that Sony had patented technology that could be used to block users from playing pre-owned games on a console. It's likely that industry focus on second-hand games will now switch to Microsoft, as reports are still unconfirmed that not only will their next console block second hand games, it'll also need to be permanently online in order to function.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25622

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

The PS4 will play second hand games! Empty Re: The PS4 will play second hand games!

Post  minkey_monkey Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:09 pm

Now fingers crossed that MS also alow it (*fingers crossed very tightly indeed!*)
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14200

Back to top Go down

The PS4 will play second hand games! Empty Re: The PS4 will play second hand games!

Post  kinmad4it Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:13 pm

M$ would be really stupid to do the exact opposite now Sony has announced theirs will allow backwards compatibility and the playing of second hand games. I can see those two issues being a huge selling point and massive reasons for going with Sony and not M$. Surely M$ must realise the amount of sales they'll lose if they do decide to go the other way.
kinmad4it
kinmad4it
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : kinmad4it
Number of posts : 2140
Registration date : 2010-05-09
TGD Reputation : 69
TGD Elite Member Points : 7464

Back to top Go down

Post  Waggly Bean Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:10 am

kinmad4it wrote:M$ would be really stupid to do the exact opposite now Sony has announced theirs will allow backwards compatibility and the playing of second hand games.

Yes they would, but then again Microsoft have made plenty of dick decisions before now... Wink
Waggly Bean
Waggly Bean
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Waggly Bean
Number of posts : 3382
Registration date : 2011-04-21
TGD Reputation : 22
TGD Elite Member Points : 8545

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:51 am

the second hand game issue is smoke and mirrors

unless they individually encode each disc differently then the only enforceable route is by doing what the cunts at EA started and that is the online pass. If your machine is not connected to the web and you put in a disc and play it and then someone else does the same then how are they going to tell. So its all a big bunch of hype shite

If they enforce a passcode approach to all games then they could do it but alienating the casual gamer by requiring a long code input prior to playing might prove counter productive

The biggest worry of all of this total bag of cock that the pissy 4 vapourware console show has dragged up is the fact that the mainstream media are all banging on about how everyone wants to game on an ipad or phone now for 69p a go. This bullshit fact seems to be catching on as truth when n reality nothing could be further from it. Casual gamers are not gamers. They are fucktards who think they are on the cusp of something new. I had been proper gaming for 10 years before 99% of these twats were born and yet because of apple apps and cock like that the industry sees that as the way forward. Well ultimately that will fail because when the next fad hits those cunts will flock to that and unless the hardcore devs still produce proper titles that take skill and dedication to beat then the whole thing will die. Slashing a melon in fruit ninja or pulling a cartoon bird on a piece of elastic backwards is not fucking gaming.

So forget about whether these new consoles will let you play old games or second hand games and focus on whether they will have any real proper new games as that is the most important crisis facing our hobby today

/rant over

Back to top Go down

Post  TreeMunky Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:55 am

Everton wrote:the second hand game issue is smoke and mirrors

unless they individually encode each disc differently then the only enforceable route is by doing what the cunts at EA started and that is the online pass. If your machine is not connected to the web and you put in a disc and play it and then someone else does the same then how are they going to tell. So its all a big bunch of hype shite

If they enforce a passcode approach to all games then they could do it but alienating the casual gamer by requiring a long code input prior to playing might prove counter productive

The biggest worry of all of this total bag of cock that the pissy 4 vapourware console show has dragged up is the fact that the mainstream media are all banging on about how everyone wants to game on an ipad or phone now for 69p a go. This bullshit fact seems to be catching on as truth when n reality nothing could be further from it. Casual gamers are not gamers. They are fucktards who think they are on the cusp of something new. I had been proper gaming for 10 years before 99% of these twats were born and yet because of apple apps and cock like that the industry sees that as the way forward. Well ultimately that will fail because when the next fad hits those cunts will flock to that and unless the hardcore devs still produce proper titles that take skill and dedication to beat then the whole thing will die. Slashing a melon in fruit ninja or pulling a cartoon bird on a piece of elastic backwards is not fucking gaming.

So forget about whether these new consoles will let you play old games or second hand games and focus on whether they will have any real proper new games as that is the most important crisis facing our hobby today

/rant over

cheers
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:56 am

Well Ranted big E.

My opinion on the whole matter of what ifs, and will they won't they is. Its all just to build the hype before the release to boost initial sales. If the PS4 fails, or even just gets off to a bad start, Sony could be in big trouble. They are not the financially solid company they were, and getting into a pissing contest with M$ and Nintendo, could cost them dearly in the long run.

The same goes for Microsoft, the development costs alone of a new console will hurt them if they can't guarantee sales on release. The marketing guys must be bricking it. Get it right and they'll be hailed as gods, but get it wrong and they could be out of a job.

Personally i'll wait until the consoles are released, and can see exactly what they can and can't do. As long as the new Xbox can play games that are as good or better than the 360, and I can keep my Gamerscore, then I'll probably stick with it. Even if they try and turn it into a media hub. Just because I only use my Xbox for gaming now, doesn't mean I might want to use it for other things later. The option to uninstall the stuff you don't want would be great though.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13292

Back to top Go down

Post  kinmad4it Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:58 am

One of the best rants I've ever read that Big E and I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. Especially about EA being Cunts Wink
kinmad4it
kinmad4it
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : kinmad4it
Number of posts : 2140
Registration date : 2010-05-09
TGD Reputation : 69
TGD Elite Member Points : 7464

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Totally agree with E... This claim about how everyone wants to game on an ipad or phone or online for 69p is one of Sony's excuses for why they haven't made a profit for years, yet here they are producing another console...... Isn't that the biggest contradiction ever???? It shows that it isn't the case, although the companies that make these browser games et al do seem to be making more money than most traditional games dev companies, and a lot of big companies such as Disney have taken big strides to get in on that market.

A few more rambling thoughts..................

Surely, they should know what they have to do to produce a successful console. Listen to the fans and give us what we've been banging on about all these months. Backwards compatibility, carrying over of trophies/ gamerscore. Physical games, second hand game playability, cutting edge tech and a decent library. Easy!!!! If you deliver all these things, but the competition doesn't, then that's bound to draw the real gamers to your corner. Yes, I know it makes more sense to not have backwards compatibility and try and get everyone to buy downloadable versions of old games, but I'm not sure Sony can afford to fuck people off anymore! They have to get it right this time!!

Have a cheaper, cut down version of the machine for more casual gamers, as we have seen with current gen consoles.

As for all the media and ads. I think we have to accept that now. Things have changed. MS want to target as many people as possible and if that helps the machine to be a success and helps ensure dev support then that's all the better for us gamers!

In previous years, I would have said the following:

Get the damn machines right!!! And don't worry about being first out of the blocks!! History has shown that the consoles that have tried to steal a march on the opposition have ultimately come off second best in the long run!! It's a marathon, not a sprint!! Just ask the Megadrive and the Dreamcast!

I'm not sure this applies as much nowadays though, as Sony and MS have to think more these days about the more casual user, who isn't as savvy as us proper gamers and like it or not these fuckwits are more numerous nowadays!! A head start might be more important now!! Not sure.........
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum