The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Knight Sword Review XBLA

+4
GrahamOfTheDead
Leigh36295
KENT HAMMER
Colne Crusader
8 posters

Go down

Black Knight Sword Review XBLA Empty Black Knight Sword Review XBLA

Post  Colne Crusader Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Black Knight Sword Review XBLA Black-10

A game by: Grasshopper Manufacture
Published By: Digital Reality
Price: 800MSP

Black Knight Sword is retro platform cum hack and Slash side scroller, which delivers old school sensibilities and a disturbing macabre setting, with none of these attributes being for the faint hearted!

Everything starts off relatively nicely. The game is well presented as a theatre production. The stage curtains frame the screen at all times and while you wait for the game to load, you can hear the audience chunner and musicians preparing. As the curtain draws back however, you get the first glimpse of the game's dark mood, as your character becomes the black Knight, with powers bestowed by some kind of little sprite type creature who accompanies you along your journey. Very little else is known at this point, or any point throughout the game! The plot is deliberately non existent and only adds to the atmosphere, as you are left to conjour your own story for this faceless Black Knight. As you leave the opening room, you find yourself traversing a tutorial section with one dimensional interior stage sets and props popping up everywhere. Next you find that doors used to progress are presented as colourful medieval jousting tents, before you are thrust into a dark and grimy exterior noire with sillouhetted buildings visible in the twilight yonder, as you are attacked by a range of odd cardboard cut out characters pulled straight from one of Terry Gilliam's Monty Python animations. Just as you think you are residing in some kind of medieval time period, you find yourself confronted by a Microwave oven to bash open. At this point, you realise that this game is a mish mash of visual styles, themes and objects that have no right to co-exist in the same game, and no logical pattern to them whatsoever!!

Black Knight Sword Review XBLA Bks-1210

Black Knight Sword comes from the imagination of Suda 51, a designer renowned for bizarre games such as Killer 7, Shadows of the Damned, and recently, Lollipop Chainsaw. If you are familiar with his work, you won't be surprised at how random and weird this game is. Modern day items and backdrops co-exist with the surreal. Cardboard cut outs co-exist with the organic. It's all completely unpredictable. A lot of modern gamers, will find the aesthetics do little for them, but personally, I find it refreshingly different, and love the atmosphere it creates.

The sound is worthy of note, with a chillingly voiced Narrator, and a hellish cocophony of bizarre music playing in the background adding great atmosphere.

Black Knight Sword Review XBLA 82645610

As mentioned, the game plays out as a hack and slash side scroller, with platform elements thrown in. The knight is pretty nimble and the obligatory double jump move is there. Initially, you have only a thrusting attack and a dodge move available to you, but at the end of each of the five stages, you are presented with a new ability, such as the ability to launch your little sprite friend towards foes, similar to how you launch "The force" in R-type. There is also a bizarre shop available, in which you can strengthen your Knight with a limited range of power ups, using the dropped hearts of dispatched foes as currency. Initially, everything is pretty easy, and I quickly found myself on stage 3 of the five, and I thought it was gonna be all over in no time. How wrong I was!! Things quickly become old school tough.

Black Knight Sword Review XBLA 64040310

This game is not for everyone! It is hardcore. Enemies follow seemingly linear patterns, and then suddenly deviate. Boss attack patterns can be impossible to read. Enemy numbers become overwhelming on higher difficulties and often hard to deal with. Your Knight can often feel underpowered. I found myself dropping the difficulty to easy, just to try and reach the ending for reviewing purposes, and I still found myself dying numerous times, and facing a frustrating final boss. Additional modes include, Arcade Mode, which is a timed run through with absolutely crazy difficulty, and Challenge mode, which is a series of 25 mini time trials featuring various elements of the game. These are also very hard, they often only take a few seconds each, but there is still plenty of time to die in each one!!! Not a game for those seeking an easy gamerscore max!!

Black Knight Sword Review XBLA Catfan10

Black Knight Sword is a game from another era. An era when gamers probably had fewer games and more patience. It's very challenging, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. You'll know from my review whether or not this type of challenge is for you, and you'll love or hate the game accordingly. personally, as a lover of all things retro, I do like this kind of thing. Whether I have the inclination to spend the time necessary to completely master this game is another matter, as I just have too many games to get through. Back in the nineties, I would have risen to the challenge with gusto, and if you do put the time into Black Knight Sword, you'll find that it is actually very fair.

Where Black Knight Sword loses points for me is that, it is a bit lacking in content. It could do with more stages and a larger variety of enemies. It takes time to get through the game, but only because you die so many times. The game is a lot smaller than many of the platform games of the nineties. I would also have liked the shop element to have been expanded on quite a bit. Perhaps also, the range of acquired new attacks!! The ones that are there seem quite pointless and inappropriate most of the time, and you only really use them on a couple of specific occasions. The other aspect I didn't like was the evasive roll move. You have to press down and X to roll, and this is sometimes very unintuitive in this game, and I found myself inadvertently rolling off platforms to my death on several occasions. Mapping this move to just a single button press would have rectified this issue.

So this is a good game, but one which is an acquired taste, and is just lacking in something to push it into the category of an 8 rated game! If you like challenging old school games, definitely get it. If you don't you probably wont like it. Simple as that.

7 out of 10
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13370

Back to top Go down

Black Knight Sword Review XBLA Empty Re: Black Knight Sword Review XBLA

Post  KENT HAMMER Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Good honest shizzle there mate.

KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25618

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:26 am

These sorta games don't really interest me much but I do quiet like the visual style of this. Will try the trial. Good review mate.
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10114

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:22 am

I am still a bit "meh" about this game. Although the thought of it being tough does appeal to me. Great review mate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:47 am

quality reviewage sire

I like this sort of title but the again I liked Sword of Sodan on the miggy which everyone else thought was pap!

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:46 am

Everton wrote:quality reviewage sire

I like this sort of title but the again I liked Sword of Sodan on the miggy which everyone else thought was pap!

Bloody hell! Sword of Sodan! I forgot about that game! The graphics were amazing for the time, but everyone moved as though they had debilitating joint problems if I remember rightly. The hero had all the grace of a 97 year old! Very Happy Aaaaaah the memories!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:08 am

I'll pick this up if it ever goes on sale. My digital pile of shame is growing too rapidly.
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11081

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:12 pm

GrahamOfTheDead wrote:I'll pick this up if it ever goes on sale. My digital pile of shame is growing too rapidly.

Mine too mate! Got five this week in the sales! Terrible....... Even bought Pacman and Ms Pacman last week when they were 200 points
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Slayer1189 Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Great review Colne

This certainly is a hit or miss game for people, and roll should definitely have been mapped to a trigger or bumper... but I still love this game! serious contender for my GOTY 2012 along with Double Dragon Neon and Dust.

I only have Arcade Mode left to do but it is so very hard. I find myself losing lives repeatedly on the later stages. Taken a break from it for now but i'll return after a break to conquer this mode!

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4895

Back to top Go down

Post  TreeMunky Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:52 pm

Great review Colne Smile I have the trial just need to find some time.
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6687

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Slayer1189 wrote:Great review Colne

This certainly is a hit or miss game for people, and roll should definitely have been mapped to a trigger or bumper... but I still love this game! serious contender for my GOTY 2012 along with Double Dragon Neon and Dust.

I only have Arcade Mode left to do but it is so very hard. I find myself losing lives repeatedly on the later stages. Taken a break from it for now but i'll return after a break to conquer this mode!

Wow mate! Sounds like you love it, and are doing well on it too! I just thought it needed a bit more content to elevate it. There certainly are some wicked moments in there.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Great review mate, I love most of Suda 51 but with all the sales on I'll probably save my points!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11930

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 pm