The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl - Official Review

+8
Tenlo
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
TheTCD
monders
TreeMunky
Slayer1189
KENT HAMMER
GrahamOfTheDead
12 posters

Go down

SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl - Official Review Empty SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl - Official Review

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:29 pm

SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl - Official Review Banner

Developer: M2
Publisher: SEGA
Price: 800MSP

Ahh...the 90's. They have a lot to answer for. Colour-changing t-shirts. MC Hammer. Mr Blobby. But one of the highlights was the 16-bit gaming era. This was the time when Sega were at their peak and the Mega Drive (Genesis to our transatlantic cousins) was the console of choice for a lot of gamers.

While they may be out of the hardware game now, Sega are still around and of late they have been revisiting their glory days with the Sega Vintage Collection releases. The latest of which is ToeJam & Earl, a bundle of the two games Sega put out in the early 90's.

SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl - Official Review Screenlg1

It has taken a while for these games to make it to Xbox Live. A couple of years ago Sega held a survey about which classic game people would like to see re-released on XBLA and ToeJam & Earl was a resounding winner. So...what exactly are these games all about then?

From 1991, the original game follows the exploits of the titular alien rappers (yup!) after they crash their ship on Earth. What follows is what can only be described as one of the most surreal moments in gaming. At it's heart, ToeJam & Earl is a top-down 'dungeon crawler'. Each level begins completely undiscovered and has you exploring for the elevator to the next level and the missing ship parts. However there are obstacles in your way in the form of the bad guys....from groups of nerds, gophers, mailboxes. It seems everything on Earth is out to get you.

You're not entirely defenceless though. There are various presents scattered around the play area which all have a different effect on you. From rocket skates, tomatoes to throw, wings and extra health to bad things like tomato rain and insta-death. To begin with as well, these things are all unlabelled so you never know what you're going to get. As the game progresses the enemies become more aggressive and the bad power-ups begin to appear more frequently.

SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl - Official Review Screenlg3

In the sequel 'Panic on Funkotron', originally released in 1993, ToeJam & Earl are back on their home planet, but some sneaky earthlings have stowed away on their ship and are now running riot. Gameplay-wise, this game is totally different. Instead of the top-down exploring we now get some side-scrolling platforming as the protagonists attempt to round up all the stowaways.

So, have these games aged well? For the most part they have. The original game still stands out as something unique in terms of gameplay and tone. The sequel however doesn't fare as well. It plays like an average 16-bit platformer, but thankfully retaining the same sense of surreal humour gives it a bit more of an edge over the competition.

For it's time, the graphics and audio were no doubt top notch, however as with all retro re-releases neither is the selling point here. Unsurprisingly, the sequel is the better looking of the two and the overall look still holds up. The funk/hip-hop soundtrack is also still pretty decent and never sounds old.

SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl - Official Review Screenlg8

Longevity is another plus for this collection. While Panic on Funkotron may not have much in the way of replay value, the original has it in spades thanks to the fact that it has a random mode, meaning no two games will be the same. Both games also offer co-op both online and offline.

If you're looking for achievements, then this for the most part is another easy list from Sega. You will stumble upon most of the achievements by simply playing through both games, with only a couple requiring you to go out of your way to perform special tasks. In terms of general difficulty, the games aren't exceptionally difficult on their own, but you are free to save your game whenever you like which means you can replay sections over and over if you need to.

In conclusion, this package offers great value for money. Two of the best remembered games of a generation available in one package. One may not have held up as well as the other, but in terms of design and character they are streets ahead of most and prove that old cliche. They don't make 'em like that any more!

8/10
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11080

Back to top Go down

SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl - Official Review Empty Re: SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl - Official Review

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Good review mate.

I actually tried to play this the other day, but had no clue what I was meant to do!

Do you just run to the elevator each time?

Or do I need to collect stuff to progress?

KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl - Official Review Empty Re: SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl - Official Review

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:40 pm

KENT HAMMER wrote:Good review mate.

I actually tried to play this the other day, but had no clue what I was meant to do!

Do you just run to the elevator each time?

Or do I need to collect stuff to progress?

You need to collect ship parts. Whenever you exit the elevator it'll tell you if there's a part to find on that level.
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Slayer1189 Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Good review. I'll probably pick these up in an inevitable sale. I know these games are highly regarded, but for me it's the vintage collection I wanted least. I find Panic on Funkotron decent but the first game bores me. Maybe i'll think differently 15 years later though! Smile

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4894

Back to top Go down

Post  TreeMunky Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:18 pm

Great review GOTD. Never played T&E back in the day and with too much to play this will probably be a DOTW purchase. Look forward to the next review mate Smile
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6686

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Good review GOTD defo getting this when I am through my backlog of single player stuff. One to try with my lad on co op.

Back to top Go down

Post  monders Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:31 pm

NEED.

I've got it on Megadrive, but my Megadrive doesn't work anymore Mad
monders
monders
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2009-03-30
TGD Reputation : 46
TGD Elite Member Points : 7122

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thatnicelee/

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTCD Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Nice review sir.

I remember renting this way back and being so utterly confused and frustrated, taking it right back again. It to me was annoyingly vague and I've never liked games that aren't clear in what they expect you to do. Maybe it was just my inpatient adolescent brain refusing to understand the game, but I have always wanted to give it another shot. I think however, it'll be a DOTW purchase for me. As revered as it is, there are better Sega franchises I'd have preferred to see. Like Shenmue.
TheTCD
TheTCD
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : TheTCD
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2012-05-10
TGD Elite Member Points : 4826

Back to top Go down

Post  Sh00t3rmcgavin2 Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:35 am

Nice review mate
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2011-12-21
TGD Elite Member Points : 6171

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:28 am

Great review mate, I played the first recently again on my PC and its a quirky little game, its scary to see how different games are now compared to back then it's like a completely different age.
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11929

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 am

Good review mate, I remember playing this on my megadrive a long long time ago! Very Happy
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9062

Back to top Go down

Post  FoxyBoy89 Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:11 am

What a fantastic game! from what i remember anyway!!! Great review mate and i am getting this ASAP!!! Very Happy
FoxyBoy89
FoxyBoy89
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : FoxyBoy89
Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2012-05-28
TGD Elite Member Points : 5760

Back to top Go down

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:18 am

Tenlo wrote:Great review mate, I played the first recently again on my PC and its a quirky little game, its scary to see how different games are now compared to back then it's like a completely different age.

Yeah.....it just blows my mind when you compare the top games 20 years ago to the top games now. When you're limited by the hardware, I guess you have to do things differently to stand out.
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Good review Graham!

I was never into Toe Jam and Earl even first time round. It seemed ugly and Jerky to me! I wouldn't mind trying it out again though to see If I can finally get into it, as I do like these Sega Vintage collections and all (most) things retro!! Very Happy

Enjoyed your review though chap.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13369

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzamann Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:03 am

OMG can tell i have been offline for a while, i didn't know this had been released - off to get some MS points at lunch.....i love this game Very Happy
dazzamann
dazzamann
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : dazzamann
Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2009-02-22
TGD Reputation : 13
TGD Elite Member Points : 7159

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum