The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct)

+15
TreeMunky
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Ba5sett
minkey_monkey
Ninja Yaro
Tenlo
kinmad4it
chrism1066
evilgenius76
Muska25101847
Lighthouseman
Tricky34
Leigh36295
Slayer1189
KENT HAMMER
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct) Empty Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct)

Post  KENT HAMMER Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct) Bb-kin10

Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day One

Firstly a big thanks to the guys at Ubisoft for sending me my review copy of Rocksmith and the cable to plug my guitar in.
You have now set me off on a wonderful yet scary and daunting adventure to try and become an axeman!

Right, first things first I need to buy a cheap guitar!
I searched the net and found a cool blue epiphone guitar that took my fancy and ordered it from reddog music.

Here's a pic of her lying naked on my leather sofa, untouched and yet to be broken in-
Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct) Wp_00011Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct) Wp_00012
the second image is of her flipped over, so you can check out her behind.

I am sure you will agree she is a looker and £99 well spent!

The next thing you have to do is stick the little numbers on your neck so that you know which fret is which when playing the game.
This system works well but you have to take only quick looks or you will start missing notes and boy how I missed notes!
Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct) Imag0910

I must mention at this point that I am not in my first flush of youth and I have never played guitar of the non plasticky fisher price variety before!
So this is a real stretch for me and will be a battle to hang on in there.

I loaded up the game and was immediately hit with the tuning screen, strum each string and then turn the knobs on the headstock to until you get a zero on the screen. Quite easy and simple and made me feel like I knew what I was doing(this feeling did not last long!)
Rinse and repeat for all 5 strings..........Cough... I mean all 6 strings, Peas or custard?

Now the first song you play is the peerless Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
At this point I had abit of a semi on I cannot lie!

I had to play one note at a time with one finger on the matching fret and string, plus sometimes you had to just play an open string which means a strum without holding a fret (a joyful relief from the finger torture).

Here is a screenshot of what I could see-
Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct) Rs_cho11

So onward and upward and on my second playthru more notes were added and more switching was required at my end...engage panic mode!
This was tough for me and on reflection I should have used a different finger for each fret rather than only using my index finger(the pointy one) all the time.

After 45 mins this is how my finger looked-

Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct) Wp_00013
OUCH!!!

I was determined to play one more song and make it to my daily target of an hour, so next up was The Black Keys- I got Mine.
Another great tune and I muddled through hitting 70% of all notes and showing an improvement.

At this point I decided to stop for health reasons as carrying on would have meant a plaster on my finger and no more practice tomorrow!

DAY TWO-

Right so today I attacked the task with renewed gusto and was determined to qualify to play my first gig!

You need to score 9,200 points on each song to unlock your first gig.

After a couple of attempts I nailed down satisfaction as it was mainly hitting two frets and two different strings in the right rhythm.

But The black keys song is twice as hard as it contains many sustains!

A sustain is where you hold your finger down on the fret after you have plucked the string for a sustained period of time (see what I did there)
Luckily there was a separate tutorial for those for me to follow first.

Then back to the song and I nailed it first time! Woo Hoo off to play my first gig with a set list of just those two songs.

You get some crowd noise and some people swaying and nodding their heads to the music while the gig takes place and some clapping and cheering at the end.
I zoned in and played both songs better than before and gained myself an encore and an two achievements popped!
One for completing my first gig and the other for gaining an encore.

The encore song was Angela by Jarvis cocker which I had never even heard before, But it was easy enough.

So tomorrow I move onto my next two songs that I need to learn to unlock another gig.

They are Higher Ground by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Go With The Flow by Queens of the Stoneage.

Another two stellar tunes, I am impressed with the set list so far.

Oh by the way I used 3 different fingers today to spread the load, but pointy still took the biggest hit. DOH

DAY THREE-

Today was the day when it dropped!
The penny that is, not my balls.

It was my most EPIC and challenging session yet.

As before I had to pass a certain score on the two songs chosen for me(Higher Ground by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Go With The Flow by Queens of the Stoneage)

But this time the numbers were alot higher. I failed my first attempt on Higher Ground as there were some odd looking notes that I did not recognise and I wrongly thought they were just open strums.
But they were actually palm mutes! This is when you place the edge of your strum hand lightly over all the strings then strum.
It gives a kinda percussion sound.

Now I have found that there is a specific technique section to practice given to me now. So I did the little test song for palm notes and bingo malingo I was nailing it as its easy! Well I only scored a bronze but not bad. I actually scored a silver on sustains!

I really feel like I am picking up some real rock guitar lingo and phrases now which helps you feel progress.

So back to the chili's song and I flipping passed it easy with my new skill!

Straight onto Go with the flow and I scored my highest ever score of 46,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers
I was in the zone, channeling the spirit of Josh Homme thru my imaginary ginger god fingers.

At one point I was hitting 3 notes perfect in succession then it upped it to five or six notes and I still nailed it, then I was down to frets 14 and 16 and strings 5 and 6 for some solo action on my encore song!

At the end of my little gig I held my arms aloft and soaked up the cheers from the all female crowd I love you

I knew they loved me, I knew they wanted more of my guitar goodness and I knew some of them were more than a little bit damp for me.

DAY FOUR-

What a difference a day makes!

If yesterday was awesome then today was awful 8-(

I absolutely stunk the place out, all my bubbles were truly burst!

Today the game cranked up the difficulty on me big time.

Hammer ons and hammer off’s and pulls off’s(get your mind out of the gutter!)
These are evil tricks used to play two notes in quick succession and they are UBER hard for me.
I truly felt out of my comfort zone and didn't even get a bronze, it all felt like too much too soon for me.

My view of the game changed drastically and it made me feel I have a whole range of mountains to scale now.

Unless you are truly dedicated you will not make a guitarist.

The songs I tried and failed to play were –

The Dead Weather – I can't hear you & Nirvana – In Bloom

I am signing off now as I have officially got the hump and feel deflated 8-(

Last edited by KENT HAMMER on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:41 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : updated with next days play)
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct) Empty Re: Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct)

Post  Slayer1189 Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Nice one, what a great way to start learning guitar! I hope you stick it out and your fingers aquire a steel - yet flexible - coating Razz

Now we need Theremin-smith so I have an excuse to learn Theremin Very Happy

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4894

Back to top Go down

Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct) Empty Re: Kent Hammer's Rocksmith journey- Day Four (Wed 17th Oct)

Post  Leigh36295 Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Gonna keep checking in on this. Interested to see your progress. I'm gonna rent it from lovefilm and buy a cable soon and just use my friends guitar. Can;'t afford to spend £20 on it yet though Sad
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10113

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Sounds good so far mate, look forward to reading future updates.

The only comment i would make is 1 hour a day might be a bit much until your fingertips start to harden. maybe 30-45 mins would be better to start with.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13287

Back to top Go down

Post  Lighthouseman Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Cool nice post. The guitar looks well cool for 100 notes. Keep it up I'm well intrested in this. Very Happy
Lighthouseman
Lighthouseman
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : lighthouseman
Number of posts : 3356
Registration date : 2009-06-19
TGD Reputation : 44
TGD Elite Member Points : 9484

http://Howard.miller@symingtons.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Muska25101847 Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:23 am

soke your fingers in viniger or piss it will harden the pads of your fingers so you dont string finger

trust me its works i play guitar and used to work as roadie so i know the tricks of the trade we also use same trick in bricklaying

also gt some skineys (strings) there also easyer on the fingers

Muska25101847
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : RBT Muska CM
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-10-12
TGD Elite Member Points : 4305

http://www.southsideridersmc.com/Pages/default.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post  evilgenius76 Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:37 am

Muska25101847 wrote:soke your fingers in PISS it will harden the pads of your fingers so you dont string finger

Don't mock or laugh at this, it's a well known trick in the forces, piss on your feet and it hardens them so less chance of blisters when doing forced marches/exercises/OPS. I still do it now n then as old habits die hard.

This really piques my interest, I have 0 musical talent, so guitar hero was pointless for me especially when I had a go on easy and thought hmmm I may have a go at this and then saw my mate play on medium.....and shat a brick.

The only sticking point is buying a guitar Sad

GL Kent and I look forward to seeing how your piss stained fingers cope with more and more songs!
evilgenius76
evilgenius76
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : evilgenius76
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2011-04-15
TGD Reputation : 19
TGD Elite Member Points : 5975

Back to top Go down

Post  Lighthouseman Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:45 am

Next you will be telling Kent to stick an orange in his mouth and a bin bag on his head. affraid
Lighthouseman
Lighthouseman
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : lighthouseman
Number of posts : 3356
Registration date : 2009-06-19
TGD Reputation : 44
TGD Elite Member Points : 9484

http://Howard.miller@symingtons.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:46 am

Updated with my second days play.

I will stick with no more than an hour a day and won't be peeing on my fingers.

Playing guitar is the hardest thing I have ever tried to learn! Shocked
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  evilgenius76 Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:50 am

KENT HAMMER wrote:and won't be peeing on my fingers.

It's ok we won't tell!
evilgenius76
evilgenius76
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : evilgenius76
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2011-04-15
TGD Reputation : 19
TGD Elite Member Points : 5975

Back to top Go down

Post  chrism1066 Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:41 am

Great diary!! and good luck, it will be worth it if you do actually learn to play!
chrism1066
chrism1066
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Chrism1066
Number of posts : 1322
Registration date : 2009-03-04
TGD Reputation : 25
TGD Elite Member Points : 6936

http://z13.invisionfree.com/blue_oval_enthusiast/index.php?act=i

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:43 am

I am loving this blog!
Good luck with this mate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:07 pm

The more i read about this, the more interested i am about picking up a copy.

Was talking to someone at work about it (he used to teach guitar) and he reckopns it could be a great way to learn as it should keep the enjoyment of learning longer. He said the hardest part of learning the guitar is the practice and dedication to keep going.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13287

Back to top Go down

Post  kinmad4it Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Loving the blog Kent and am liking the look of the game.

One thing does concern me though. You played an entire song using only one finger? Surely the game has something in the instructions to make sure you don't do that? I know it's fairly obvious to most people, but not everyone as you demonstrated. Now if that kind of basic information is left out, what else has been omitted?
kinmad4it
kinmad4it
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : kinmad4it
Number of posts : 2140
Registration date : 2010-05-09
TGD Reputation : 69
TGD Elite Member Points : 7459

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Absolutely loving this, I'm really tempted to pick this up in the future now when I have the money as it seems its really teaching you how to play successfully and the improvements are obviously showing
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11929

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Just to be clear I am not playing proper chords yet.

I am just playing single notes, that's why it only takes one finger.

But now I am learning to use multiple fingers to reach each note.

It does not bog you down with which finger to use, it lets you find your own way.

Chords come next and of course it shows you the correct finger positions.

The main problem is I am not fast enough when switching positions.

Anyone who could play guitar hero on expert will find it much easier than me as I was only a medium player there.

Like everyone says, keeping up the daily practice is the challenge, if you slip to weekly only then your NEVER get it.

Its not a game, its a lifelong commitment.........
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ninja Yaro Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Interesting blog Kent, I've been playing guitar for around 14 years now which is more than half my life so I'm finding it really interesting to see how you get on with this.

I'm glad that in your last post you said that you're learning to use multiple fingers because eventually you're going to need to use all 4 fingers so you might as well put in the effort early on.

I hope you stick with it and keep these blogs coming. Also I don't know how well designed the game is, but if you ever run into any problems with anything or just need some advice feel free to PM and I'll help you out if I can.
Ninja Yaro
Ninja Yaro
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Ninja Yaro
Number of posts : 2009
Registration date : 2010-05-29
TGD Reputation : 49
TGD Elite Member Points : 7205

Back to top Go down

Post  Muska25101847 Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:04 pm

i get you your playing tabs there a good to get you used to playing keep it up

Muska25101847
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : RBT Muska CM
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-10-12
TGD Elite Member Points : 4305

http://www.southsideridersmc.com/Pages/default.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:37 pm

I managed to buy the cable for £15 this morning so now just gotta wait for the game to turn up from lovefilm. Really looking forward to it
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10113

Back to top Go down

Post  minkey_monkey Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:10 am

I alsmost felt like I was taking the journey with you. Well written fella.

As much as this review tempts me I know I would ened up getting frustrated with this game because I struggle bending 2 of my fingers seperatly. I've tried taking up the guitar before and this held me back/ made me want to sulk. I gave it ago and we didn't get on so I had to put it to rest. Must resist speding money on this when I know it will just collect dust Sad
minkey_monkey
minkey_monkey
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Minkey M0nkey
Number of posts : 8100
Registration date : 2009-05-12
TGD Reputation : 204
TGD Elite Member Points : 14195

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:23 am

I'm enjoying these updates, I really hope this game is good I have played guitar for about 16 years and would be fun to be able to have something like this to play along with
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9062

Back to top Go down

Post  Sh00t3rmcgavin2 Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Did you have yesterday off for Sabbath? Very Happy
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2011-12-21
TGD Elite Member Points : 6171

Back to top Go down

Post  TreeMunky Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:23 pm

Great read fella. Keep it up and you'll be nailing the Stones in no time Smile
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6686

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Have you noticed any lag at all yet Kent?

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:21 pm

Sorry guys had builders in today and was too busy to post next update.

I have good news about Day 3 tomorrow, I will post up Sundays session notes.

I have found a tiny bit of lag, you just need to hit the note the second before it hits the line, not on the line as it disappears.

Having a component connection removes this but I can't be arsed as it does not effect me at all.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum