The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NiGHTS into Dreams...

4 posters

Go down

NiGHTS into Dreams... Empty NiGHTS into Dreams...

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:00 pm

NiGHTS into Dreams... 7457NightsLogo

Developer: Sega
Publisher: Sega
Price: 800MSP

The Sega Saturn. Not a very fondly remembered console, perhaps unfairly in retrospect. However despite it's relatively short lifespan it did play host to several classic games.

One of those games was the 1996 release Nights into Dreams, developed by Sonic Team. The game revolves around the dreamworlds of Nightopia and Nightmare and involves the evil ruler of Nightmare, Wizeman, as he attempts to take over Nightopia and eventually the real world. There is also a lot of backstory about representations of dream personalities and other things, but it isn't really of consequence as the game gets by without really divulging much story.

NiGHTS into Dreams... 26794Nights4

You initially control one of two children (Elliot and Claris) who escape into Nightopia while suffering nightmares. They end up releasing Nights, a "Nightmaren" created by Wizeman who has rebeled against him. By walking up to Nights, you release him from captivity and then you take control of him instead. This results in the main crux of the game as you guide Nights through a variety on-rails flying section to release the orbs that represent the kids dream personalities. Successfully complete the 4 sections in a stage and you will then engage in a boss fight.

At first glance, with only a handful of stages the game can seem short and truthfully there isn't really a lot of content here, but Nights comes from the twilight years of a generation where it wasn't about content. It was about playability and the urge to have one more go. This is where Nights comes into it's own. While each stage can be over within about 5-10 minutes, you can lose hours trying to perfect those 'A' ranks. Also included here as an unlockable is the 'Christmas Nights' game which was originally only available either bundled with select Saturn titles or on the cover of various magazines.

NiGHTS into Dreams... 27118NiGHTS_n3copy

While this isn't a direct port of any one previous version of Nights it is most closely related to the PS2 release in that you can play the Saturn original or you can play a graphically enhanced version. Of course even the enhanced version looks dated now, but both versions run smooth enough and, to be fair, if you're looking at playing this cutting edge graphics aren't at the top of your wishlist.

Audio is also pretty decent albeit sparse at times, but it does the job well and doesn't seem 16 years old.

NiGHTS into Dreams... 26790Boss4

The control system is pretty straightforward. Analogue stick moves your character, trigger buttons perform stunts (as Nights) while the A button performs a dash attack. The analogue could perhaps be a little more responsive and while the dash is useful for getting through stages quickly, you do sacrifice accuracy for speed and it is a difficult move to master.

NiGHTS into Dreams... 27308NiGHTSscreenshot4copy

Achievement hunters will probably find this a tough game to complete. While simply finishing stages is easy enough, Finishing them all to A-rank standard is no easy task and as a result this is a game which will take time and effort to achieve all 400 gamerscore.

Overall, Nights into Dreams is a fun and absorbing title. Make no mistake, you WILL be replaying stages a lot but the fact that the gameplay is done in short bursts stops it from becoming too much of a chore. It is the perfect game to pick up and play for a quick gaming fix. Just be careful as that quick fix can quickly morph into a couple of hours.

8/10
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11080

Back to top Go down

NiGHTS into Dreams... Empty Re: NiGHTS into Dreams...

Post  Tenlo Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Awesome review mate, I've been debating about this for awhile as I always fancied playing it but never got round to it. I'm just glad the gameplay hasn't changed much over all these years, will get this at the end of the month when I get some more points and makes sure I'm top of my friend's leaderboard!!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11929

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTCD Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:25 pm

Excellent review mate. NiGHTS is one of my all-time favourite 32bit games, and it's good to see that Sega have started doing their back catalog justice with a new lease of life.
TheTCD
TheTCD
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : TheTCD
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2012-05-10
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4826

Back to top Go down

Post  Slayer1189 Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Nice review. gonna make a start on this in the near fututre. I only played it brieflt at a friends house back in the Saturn days but from what I remember it was pretty cool

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4894

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum