The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Johnson's Chronicles - One Against All

+2
KENT HAMMER
TreeMunky
6 posters

Go down

Red Johnson's Chronicles - One Against All Empty Red Johnson's Chronicles - One Against All

Post  TreeMunky Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:47 pm

Red Johnson's Chronicles - One Against All Header13
Developed by Lexis Numerique

Published by Namco Bandai

Price: 800 MS Points

Red Johnson Chronicles - One Against All is a 'puzzle investigation' point and click game that is the sequel to a 2011 PS3 exclusive.

Red Johnson's Chronicles - One Against All Red11
It started out like any other day…

RJC follows the story of Red a young red-headed Private Investigator as he kind of cleans up the city of Metropolis. The game opens with a film noir inspired scene used as a vehicle to steer you through the plot of the first game (I'm none the wiser to be fair). The story finds you in Metropolis, an alternate Soviet city in the grip of the enigmatic kingpin ‘Uncle Teddy’. While dodging Uncle Teddy’s $150’000 bounty on your head (dollars possibly being what makes Metropolis an alternative Soviet city?) Red finds out his brother has been kidnapped by almost necking his severed finger in a frosty cold one at Duncan’s Place and so begins ‘One Against All’….

Red Johnson's Chronicles - One Against All Duncan10
Duncan's Bar where panty sniffing PIs like to hideout

Game play is split between action cut scenes, puzzle environments and interrogation sequences. The action cut scenes (QTE) were frustrating for me; they popped up unexpectedly and were sometimes so quick I hadn’t even spotted the button press required. This meant doing the QTE again, with a different sequence of button presses! But these are few and far between so my failure was short lived. The puzzles to find and solve are plentiful and are varied and rendered in nice detail. Some are pure genius while others had me wanting to turn the game off, not through frustration, but because I would be aimlessly looking for the sweet spot to move things forward. However, hints can be brought from your friend Saul, an underachiever from the Huggy Bear School of Pimping, with cash earned from solving puzzles. The quicker you solve the problem at hand the higher your rank and the more cash you’ll earn. The dialogue/interrogation sequences are filled with varied characters, some interesting and others who are just damn bizarre. Take Red Johnson’s brothers Black and Brown, that’s right folks the Red, Black and Brown Johnson family….mix that in with Red’s comments whilst searching a female characters locker ‘If I were a serious pervball I’d take a whiff of Abbie’s panties. But I ain’t no perv!! Well…maybe one for the road.’ and you get the idea. If the dialogue wasn’t full of cheap innuendo it was often protracted with a pretty bad lip sync issues. I often found myself skipping through the dialogue for something a little more engaging but this turned out to be the wrong thing to do as the end game concludes with an irritating ‘final report’ exercise filling out answers and clues you have uncovered (or totally missed because you skipped the dialogue) whilst chatting to the residents of Metropolis and solving puzzles.

Red Johnson's Chronicles - One Against All Map10
Get to this point and you are seconds away from your creepiest moment as a PI

Now I loved point and click games in the past, proudly stepping up to each of the Myst titles eager to flex some grey matter. That was some years ago and I haven’t played anything similar in a long time so I was looking forward to see what was on offer here. Graphic adventure games of yesteryear worked because they were filled with creative puzzle designs and engaging stories. RDC is a little lacking in both, now don’t get me wrong I wasn’t overly disappointed I was just left wanting a lot more. Overall, RDC is a nice looking game with an ok story, marred by a bad script. The puzzles as a whole are engaging but are nothing ground breaking. Achievements come with the full 400. The majority of these will be accomplished whilst playing through the game. A second run through will be required to hit the ‘record time’ ‘finish with an A rating’ achievements. You could probably do this on your first run with a guide, but where is the fun in that you dirty cheevo whore. Is it worth 800M$P? You'll get around 10/12 hours game play for your ‘soviet dollars’ and a hefty 2.68GB download. If you like this kind of game you probably already own it, if you’re on the fence I’d wait for DOTW and if you don’t then I would just move along there is nothing here for you.

Last edited by TreeMunky on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6687

Back to top Go down

Red Johnson's Chronicles - One Against All Empty Re: Red Johnson's Chronicles - One Against All

Post  KENT HAMMER Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:22 pm

I like your cunning plan of not giving a score so the lazy buggers have to actually read it!

Good work TREE!

tree tree
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25618

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Red Johnson's Chronicles - One Against All Empty Re: Red Johnson's Chronicles - One Against All

Post  tricky1976 Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:00 am

I bought this arcade game and some of the puzzles are quite hard but it is a great game!
tricky1976
tricky1976
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : tricky1976
Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2011-08-10
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4835

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:22 am

Great review there mate.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13288

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:33 am

Good review mate, looks like quite and interesting game
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9063

Back to top Go down

Post  Slayer1189 Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:34 am

Good review - out of interest, is this game like Professor Layton or Pheonix Wright? (if you have played them)

This isn't normally my type of game but this particular one had my attention as I thought it was going to do something a bit new, abit different.

Was thinking it could have been a "Bastion" of this year for originality! But now I think i'll give it a miss.

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4895

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum