The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quantum Conundrum - Official Review

+2
KENT HAMMER
TreeMunky
6 posters

Go down

Quantum Conundrum -  Official Review  Empty Quantum Conundrum - Official Review

Post  TreeMunky Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:08 pm

Quantum Conundrum -  Official Review  Qr_for10

QUANTUM CONUNDRUM

Developed by Airtight Games

Published by Square Enix

Price: 1200 MS Points

You are an anonymous youngster visiting his scientist uncle, Prof. Fitz Quadrangle, owner of Quadrangle Manor an impossibly large mansion perched on a precarious looking hilltop. Left at the mansion by your mother, you are an unwelcome distraction to you uncle who is not there to meet you. Cue cataclysmic science explosion! Upon entering the mansion you become your uncles’ only hope when it’s discovered he has become trapped in another dimension. So it is up to you to find, and ultimately rescue, your uncle with the help of his latest ‘Doc Brown’ invention, a reality-warping gun glove, the astonishingly named Inter-dimensional Shift Device (IDS)…oh and IKE (a name tag wearing Interdimensional Kinetic Entity).

Quantum Conundrum -  Official Review  Ike11

Gameplay

Using the Unreal engine, Quantum Conundrum is a non-violent (and by non-violent I mean death will come from lasers and likely by drowning in ‘science juice’ but that will be your fault alone), XBLA 1st person puzzle platformer title. Quadrangle Manor is split across three coloured zones, blue, yellow and red and The Core. It is in these zones across multiple levels (51 to be exact) that players are tasked with using the IDS to shift between dimensions to manipulate the environment to solve increasingly cunning puzzles.
You are able to instantly switch between five dimensions, Normal, Fluffy, Heavy, Slow Motion and Reverse Gravity. Fluffy makes objects light enough to manipulate, need to move a safe here you can. Heavy dimension increases the weight of all objects, making them good for switch pushing or becoming indestructible to lasers. Slow Motion will have you zipping between giant fan blades or jumping on a safe thrown in Fluffy to sail across an open pit. Finally, Reverse Gravity deftly manipulated will have you controlling objects through mazes or used to ‘drive’ a moving safe/chair/table to get you where you need to be. With virtually every level entered, it is almost immediately apparent where you need to get to, be it impossibly high up or across a vat of ‘science juice’, what is far less apparent is how to go about it.
Frustrating at times, the later puzzles require some perfectly timed platform jumping/dimension shifting and the first person element can make this a far more difficult task than perhaps the developers intended? However, where rage inducing repetition in a game (Trials) generally has me switching to something less frustrating, I couldn’t help but try ‘one more time’ and the feeling you get when you nail an irritating level is a satisfying one. Control wise, the game uses shoulder buttons assigned to each of the four dimension, twin sticks for movement and A for jumping. There were a couple times I felt whilst jumping that a second or third jump wouldn’t register, but this happened few and far between to be a deal breaker.

Quantum Conundrum -  Official Review  Lasers10

Graphics

The five dimensions are graphical stylized to highlight the dimension you are currently in. The ‘Normal’ dimension has an almost Pixar feel about it. ‘Fluffy’ turns all objects into a marshmallow type heaven; with pictures on walls becoming cutesy. ‘Heavy’ turns the world into a red ‘Silent Hill’ type industrial hell, with the same pictures having an almost ‘S&M’ heavy metal feel. You get a fantastic tearing effect across the level when shifting. I did experience some framerate issues in transition between dimensions, but this only happened on occasion and didn’t detract from the game. Overall the levels can feel a little empty, with areas for level transitions used repeatedly and although not lost on the developers, with quips from your uncle the likes of ‘haven’t you been down this corridor before’, more effort could have been made to fill the levels with other detail.

Quantum Conundrum -  Official Review  Multi_10

Audio

Music and sound effects are varied and similar to the graphics switches between dimensions. This works ok and it does the job but I felt it could have been better. The narrative, as told by your uncle, is voiced by John de Lancie (Q of the Q Continuum). Now you would imagine a world of opportunities here but average script writing means your uncle’s ever-present voice gets old way to fast. There might not be laugh out loud moments but I felt he made the most of what he had to work with.

Quantum Conundrum -  Official Review  Jdl10

Achievements & Lasting Appeal

Quantum Conundrum comes with the new standard of 400GS. The majority of these will be accomplished whilst playing through the game. There is your standard collectables achievement and another three for finishing time trials, shift goals and no deaths in each of the 51 levels. Now this is where the replay value of Quantum Conundrum is found. I cleared the game in around five hours and hit the time target once, the shift target three times and finished about half of the levels without dying. So if you’re calm enough to handle repeatedly trying levels then that completion will be yours. The goal time achievement is called 'In less than 12 Parsecs' which made me chuckle, not dying will net you 'Still Alive'...... and the Did a thing! has to be the outright weirdest achievement I have ever got.

Overall

So what of Portal, I wrote this review having never played Portal, so without the expectation of that franchise I came out the other side having enjoyed the game. Quantum Conundrum is a little frustrating in places but the sum of the whole package far outweighs the weaker individual elements and makes for an overall fun, albeit short-lived and a little pricey, XBLA title. The ending is a little anti-climactic and an interdimensional shifting nephew is really going to want more than that if he’s ever going to pay sign up for a sequel…...

Pros
A good brain workout with mind-bending puzzles
John de Lancie providing vocals
Decent replay value if you’ve got to have the 100%

Cons
Runs out of steam towards the end
John de Lancie providing vocals to poorly written script
The ending leaves much to be desired…

7/10

Last edited by TreeMunky on Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
TreeMunky
TreeMunky
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : TreeMunky
Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2012-01-30
TGD Reputation : 28
TGD Elite Member Points : 6686

Back to top Go down

Quantum Conundrum -  Official Review  Empty Re: Quantum Conundrum - Official Review

Post  KENT HAMMER Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:20 pm

tree, tree, tree
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Quantum Conundrum -  Official Review  Empty Re: Quantum Conundrum - Official Review

Post  Tenlo Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Great review and very honest too. Look forward to more reviews from yourself!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11929

Back to top Go down

Post  Sh00t3rmcgavin2 Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Great Job mate!!!
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2011-12-21
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 6171

Back to top Go down

Post  Slayer1189 Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:01 am

Good Job. Didn't get much of a feel for this game from the trial so maybe a DotW for me.

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4894

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:54 am

I have downloaded this but yet to try it. I wouldn't expect it to be be better than portal 2 though, you should really get that game in youe life TreeMunky. Top review fella

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 am

nice work mate and looks like my kinda game i may get a trial of this
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10053

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum