The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prototype 2

5 posters

Go down

Prototype 2 Empty Prototype 2

Post  Slayer1189 Mon May 28, 2012 12:04 am

Prototype 2 Protot10

Developer: Radical Entertainment
Publisher: Activision

Those of you who played and enjoyed the first Prototype are in for a treat. Prototype 2 is a direct sequel to the first game and those who know the character of Alex Mercer may be pleased to hear that he returns as a major (but not the main) character in this game. For anyone who has not played the first prototype do not fret - there is a plot summary for the first game in the main menu.

Story
Prototype 2 plays from the perspective of James Heller – A US Marine Corps sergeant hell-bent on getting revenge on Alex Mercer for taking his wife and child from him. The game starts with an interesting, news report style cutscene leading into a confrontation between James Heller and Alex Mercer, resulting in Alex Mercer infecting James and telling him to discover the truth. Heller then finds himself trapped in a testing room fighting for his life and discovering his newfound abilities as an ‘evolved’ infected. He can now morph his arms into various different weapons, consume people to regenerate and perhaps most importantly gain the memories of those he consumes.

Prototype 2 Protot11

Being able to gain the memories of other is a huge driving force for the story, allowing Heller to consume members of Gentek (a genetics research company) and Blackwatch (a Special Forces group) to unravel the secrets and discover the ‘truth’ Mercer spoke of. Heller soon discovers that all is not as it seems and certainly not what he was told during his service in the Marine Corps.

The story is a heavy feature in Prototype 2 as even the side quests often involve hunting down individuals with information that - whilst not crucial to the main tale - give extra detail for any gamers interested in learning more. Sometimes the game can seem too story focused as it can give several cutscenes without advancing the story at all.

Gameplay
Prototype 2 plays like a standard sandbox style game with a large focus on melee combat. Heller can fight with regular attacks or by using his arms as weapons such as claws, whips, tendrils and more. Each weapon type has a unique set of attacks which are more efficient in certain situations and keep the fighting fairly varied. There are also several different types of enemies, ranging quite drastically from regular infected and soldiers to huge infected and super-soldiers. There are also some enemy vehicles to be destroyed in the form of tanks and helicopters.

Prototype 2 Protot12

Despite this variety in fighting style and enemies, Prototype 2 has little variation in the objectives given throughout the game. Most of the time is spent either “hunting” someone to consume or infiltrating a base, with the odd timed collection task here and there. Due to the lack of variation the game can, at times, feel very repetitive to slog through the missions - particularly near the start of the game as you have few weapons and it takes longer to manoeuvre Heller around the city.

The game takes place in New York which becomes known as New York Zero (NYZ) after the outbreak. The city is split into three zones (green, yellow and red) based on the level of infection in that area – green is completely sanitary and safe, yellow being a mixture or those infected and not, red is a complete danger zone homing only infected and the military attacking them. Getting around the city is made easy by Heller’s ability to run up walls, jump incredibly high and glide long distances. Each of these abilities can be upgraded by completing side missions and completing sets of collectibles to make travelling even faster.

There are various different types of collectibles scattered throughout NYZ and Prototype 2 integrates collectibles into the sandbox environment well. Firstly, the three main types of collectible are field ops (groups of soldiers to kill), Blackboxes (dead soldiers with information on them) and infected lairs (lairs to fight in). Each of these collectibles “ping” on the in game map and notify the player of a rough direction when they enter the vicinity of the collectible. This feature makes it a more relaxed, simple and enjoyable experience which encourages players to seek them out.

The fourth type of collectible comes in the form of enemies scattered throughout the city that are indicated by a certain symbol on the mini-map when Heller is near. These enemies have the ability to grant upgrades to the player upon consuming them and so the player should be on lookout for them at all times. One downside to these enemies is that they can be killed by other forms of combat or environmental hazards before the player is able to consume them. They do, however, re-spawn at another location on the map. The player will have to hunt them down again if they wish to obtain the upgrades.

Graphics and style
The graphics in Prototype 2 are very crisp and display the setting of NYZ well. During my time playing I found no graphical hiccup, which is rare for any sandbox game. The explosions are displayed in vivid, colourful clouds and inanimate objects interact well when incorporated into battle, such as cars being launched across streets etc. During combat, the player can trigger a slow motion effect which often displays a lot of detail and makes the player feel bad-ass about exerting revenge on Heller’s opponents. The slo-mo effect lasts very briefly in comparison to most games which apply the same feature, so it never feels like a hindrance in the overall gameplay.

The cutscenes portray the characters in great detail, with highly defined facial features and expressions. The body alterations Heller and Mercer undergo are represented particularly well. Generally, when Heller consumes an individual and accesses their memories, a cutscene with a hazy background is displayed; making it clear to the player they are witnessing a memory.

Prototype 2 Protot13

Music and sound
The music that plays during cutscenes and tense moments sets the atmosphere well and the entire story is voice acted well with little to no text reading required. During most of the gameplay there is almost no background music present, leaving only the sounds of the environment to really accompany Heller as he goes about his day (no varied radio stations here!). This wouldn’t be too much of an issue as you could put on your own music if it wasn’t for the fact that Prototype 2 has the game stopping every few minutes for a cutscene which a player wouldn’t want to miss if they wanted the full story.

The voices are well done in main game cutscenes however the memory cutscenes distort the voices making it somewhat difficult to make out what is being said.

Longevity/Replayability
Overall, Prototype 2 does not take too long to complete story-wise. If the player intends to go for everything including side missions and collectibles, they are looking at around 10-20 hours. The game does have a “New Game +” mode in which gamers can challenge the newly unlocked insane difficulty or go back into free roam to clear up anything they may have missed. There is even an option to take on Radnet challenges, aiming for as high as platinum medals. These additions could add quite a significant amount of game-time for a player who wishes to squeeze every ounce of content available from the game.

Overall
Prototype 2 offers good gameplay, a decent story and is definitely worth one playthrough at least. The variety of weapons and enemies is interesting, however I feel the game falls in overall enjoyment as it becomes repetitive, lacking the entertainment of much background music whilst playing. Although the game offers a fair bit of longevity with challenges some may find it tedious to continue after beating the game once.

Rating: 7.5/10

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4894

Back to top Go down

Prototype 2 Empty Re: Prototype 2

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon May 28, 2012 10:40 am

Nice one mate.

Very professional and comprehensive cheers
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  evilgenius76 Mon May 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Nice review Smile
evilgenius76
evilgenius76
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : evilgenius76
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2011-04-15
TGD Reputation : 19
TGD Elite Member Points : 5975

Back to top Go down

Post  Slayer1189 Mon May 28, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks all cheers , first retail so wasn't sure how I was going to do

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4894

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 28, 2012 1:40 pm

bought this recently and looking forward to it

nice review slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Awesome review mate. I'm still looking to finish off the first game but this will be on my list once its done.
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11929

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Tue May 29, 2012 7:26 am

Very thorough and well structured. Good work slayer! bounce
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13369

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 31, 2012 10:03 am

Started this last night and its great

The controls and camera are not quite as tight as say Crackdown or Infamous but it definately has a great feel about it. Going to take me a while to get to grips with everything but am looking forward to playing it again later which is always a good sign. Got the Radnet edition too, so started a set of the challenges on it as well. Good fun game

After finishing it I might start its harder older brother Proto 1 which has been gathering dust in the unplayed chasm for a long time Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:56 am

Finished this last night and I really enjoyed it

It has all the plusses for me in a game

Fun
Great graphics
Great speech
Good controls
Ach points maxxable with a little effort
Great storyline with videos which are skippable if you want to play it through again and dont want to wait
Good characters
Terrific selection of powers
All in a crackdown stylee

Whats not to like!

8 or 9 on 10 for me

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:55 pm

I have struggled abit to get my teeth into it so far.

Will have to try and again.
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Play through on easy first time matey

Get the maps for the collects (there are really only a few) and clear out all of them

Do all the side missions before moving to next island

The power ups you get will then make the game much better and easier

Then when done start a New Game + which keeps all your stuff intact and playthrough on hard and just go for the main missions

You will find the only tough bit is one of the rooftop collect races and the final boss third phase on hard

For the last part I used the whiplash a lot on him and it worked.

Easy easy 900
Easy 950
Not hard 1000

Smile

oh and dont skip the cut scenes first time through as story is good

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:37 pm

tiptastic, thanks mate!

You mean get some maps online for the collectibles? or is it an in game map?
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:40 pm

online matey

trueach or xboxach both have easy to follow maps

but in total there are just a handful of locations on each island and you will probably run across half or more just pplaying

I would play each island and the side missions and get the collects when you see a sign saying one is nearby

then before leaving each island grab the maps and bomb round getting the few missing ones

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=367698

this guide has the maps all on this page (you need to click on the remove spoiler line at appropriate points)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:28 am

Having maxxed P2 I started P1

Fuck me what a rank up in toughness

380 collects, 53 side games that need beating to a high level, really tough missions and relentless bombardment of enemies, and thats just the intro lol.

Have beaten it on basic now need to do it again on hard as you cant select that until you have beaten it once

The game is fun, but its vvvvvvvvvvvv tough

P2 is by far the better title imho

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum