The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Review

+3
Slayer1189
Tenlo
Colne Crusader
7 posters

Go down

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Review  Empty Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Review

Post  Colne Crusader Sun May 20, 2012 11:23 pm

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Review  S4e2lo10
Published by: SEGA

Developed by: Sonic Team

Release date: 16th May 2012

Price: 1200msp

Just when you thought Sega had given up on the episodic re-imagining of the Sonic games, Sonic 4: Episode 2 spins it’s way onto your dashboard in a shiny blue flash. It’s been 18 months since episode one, and it appears that Sonic Team have spent that time addressing some of the criticisms aimed at the first effort. Various changes have been made to the look and feel of proceedings for this one. While Episode one was based around the Original Sonic game, Episode 2 is a fusion of the original Sonic 2 and Sonic CD; Incorporating the plots of both games within the same tale, including the details of Metal Sonic. This time, you control Sonic and/or Tails in Multiplayer mode. There are four zones, each with 3 acts and a boss battle, and also a final boss zone. Each zone has it's own unique look and feel, with a good aesthetic variety between them. Sonic Team have ensured there are plenty of fresh stages and layouts here, whilst including a good mix of classic moments from Sonic 2 that series stalwarts will remember fondly. I'm sure you all know how a Sonic game plays, so i'll move on to the nitty gritty!!

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Review  Sonic-10

Gameplay:

As i said, Sonic team have made several distinct changes to this episode. Sonic in episode 1 was much maligned for being far too slow, slugish and erratic to control. Luckily this time, the whole game has a better pace to it, and Sonic and Tails handle much more like they do in the original Megadrive titles. The devs have incorporated a new momentum based physics system, which feels much better. It's still different to the original games; You still speed up and come to a stop more gradually, and it can be a bit slugish at times, but there is certainly an improvement.

The homing attack is present in this game too, in which an on screen reticule targets enemies or interactive objects as Sonic jumps, and with a single tap of the B button, he will home on said object. This move is a bit of an annoyance at times. It can be a bit hit and miss. It doesn't always seem to work when you think it should, and also it can be used to cheaply navigate certain parts of the environment that would normally have required good timing and skill.

The main change to the gameplay is the incorporation of a number of co-operative moves which see Sonic and Tails team together to negotiate obstacles with a single button press. For example, the "Copter combo" sees Tails grab Sonic and, using his twin tails as helicopter blades, the two of them can periodically fly over certain hazards. These combo moves are essential for negotiating certain parts of a level, and also in defeating certain bosses. Speaking of which, the boss fights in Episode 2 are quite different to others you may have encountered in other Sonic Titles. They are longer battles than normal and require tactics other than simply repeating the spin jump.

The stages themselves incorporate sections designed to allow use of these special moves, and as such the game plays differently to any other Sonic game at times. Levels are quite big, with some memorable moments both new and old, but on the other hand, there are far too many lazy, bad design elements, such as instant dead ends that just feel wrong, as well as power ups so isolated that by the time you find any enemies or open areas on which to use said upgrade, the effect has worn off. There are also far too many on rails rollercoaster extravaganza sections, where you are reduced to nothing more than a spectator, no skill required!! These are fun of course, but a classic Sonic game incorporates a higher percentage of interactive platforming sections. Much of the play is still typical "Sonic" however. The difficulty of the game comes from the fiendishly placed traps and enemies that are unavoidable until you have played the level through and learnt the layout, and you'll have fun learning the more rewarding routes through the stage.

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Review  Sonic-11

Graphics:

The graphics are really lovely, colourful and inviting. The overly shiny, plastic fake look of episode one is gone. Things look much nicer and more organic, mainly due to the replacement of the pre-rendered backgrounds of the predecessor being replaced with nicer polygon based vistas!

Sound:

Again, an improvement in the main. Efforts have been made to make the music more reminiscent of the 16-bit era of the original games, while as usual, the traditional 16-bit Sonic hallmark sound effects are retained here. Boss music can be annoying though. Some of it loops every ten seconds or so, which gets frustrating.

Multiplayer:

Local and Xbox Live based co-op is provided, with full leaderboard support for each and every stage. Rubber banding and teleportation is used to keep Sonic and Tails on the same screen should one player fall behind.

Achievements:

A mixture of easy and hard cheevos here. This is not an easy 200 by any means. You are required to find all chaos emeralds, complete the game in one sitting and defeat all bosses as "Super Sonic" in order to gain the full gamerscore, amongst other things.

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Review  Sonic410

Synopsis:

At the end of the day, whether you like or hate this game, depends on if you're a Sonic purist or not. The game plays quite differently in places, and the physics are not like the original games. These factors will put off some Sonic stalwarts. Let's be realistic though, Sonic Team have to design a game that will appeal to all, and I think they have endeavoured to do so. The game-play is less hardcore than the 16-bit titles, and in a market where a large part of the demographic demands simpler game-play, this is probably a frugal thing to do. There is however, an element of laziness in the level design I feel, which loses the game a point from my score.

There are some free bonus levels available for those of us who also own episode one, which allow you to play as Metal Sonic and experience some cut scenes that fill in some of the story. This is a nice addition to the package.

I did enjoy the game, and there are some good moments, both new and "Classic". There is plenty to enjoy here even for many Sonic fans. Have an open mind for the changes and you'll be ok. It's no Rayman, but I would have scored it an 8 if it wasn't for those lazy bits!!

As it stands, i shall award it a decent 7 out of 10.
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13384

Back to top Go down

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Review  Empty Re: Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Review

Post  Tenlo Sun May 20, 2012 11:37 pm

Good review mate and honest too. I'll probably still pick this up as I've picked up every Sonic title so far, I'm just a big blue hedghog fan I guess!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11944

Back to top Go down

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Review  Empty Re: Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Review

Post  Slayer1189 Mon May 21, 2012 12:18 am

Nice review picked this up as I have all the other XBLA sonic games done and don't like missing a set. I'm not a Hardcore sonic so hopefully the changes are nice as i'm always open to new things Very Happy

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 4909

Back to top Go down

Post  Jevil Mon May 21, 2012 8:00 pm

In my opinion it felt like the tails gimmick was a bit overused but that's just me being nitpicky xP. If sonic 4 was standalone and not trying to tie it into the old sonic story I don't think I would mind it as much
Jevil
Jevil
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Jevil Badger
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2012-02-25
TGD Elite Member Points : 4791

https://www.youtube.com/user/MageJevil

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Mon May 21, 2012 8:22 pm

Yeah. It is used a lot. I think they were trying to change the gameplay somewhat. I suppose they have too after so many Sonic games!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13384

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Rubber and Banding..... I'm out

Smile

nice work though Colne

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Mon May 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Good review colne matey, but i think i'll pass, never been that big a sonic fan. And wasn't keen on the demo's for the other xbla Sonic games.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13302

Back to top Go down

Post  evilgenius76 Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 am

great review as ever mate Smile
evilgenius76
evilgenius76
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : evilgenius76
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2011-04-15
TGD Reputation : 19
TGD Elite Member Points : 5990

Back to top Go down

Post  Sh00t3rmcgavin2 Tue May 22, 2012 9:13 am

Not for me, but great review dude!
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2011-12-21
TGD Elite Member Points : 6186

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum