The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arcade memories

+6
evilgenius76
Lighthouseman
Ba5sett
Naf Vertone
stubbymite
Tenlo
10 posters

Go down

Arcade memories Empty Arcade memories

Post  Tenlo Tue May 01, 2012 9:01 am

I'll be honest arcades nowadays are a cesspit filled with chavs and fruit machines with the real proper arcades hidden away at the back. But I remember a better time when arcades were the king of gaming. With Dragon Lair being released soon I started to remember some of my favourite arcade games of yester year.`

Title Fight

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This one always stuck in my mind as it was strange set-up with you controlling the fists by moving both joysticks together. This usually meant in a frenzied battle with a mate the joysticks just getting waggled all over the place trying to get some big hits landed!

Time Crisis 2

This is the only arcade game I ever finished. I'd hate to think how much money I piled into this but I was determined to finish it and I did one afternoon. It was truly a great feeling to finish that game and is still one of the best arcade shooters out there.

Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter 2

My local sweet shop actually managed to fit an arcade machine in its cramped spac for quite a few years and I used to go in there every day after school. Unfortunately for me the sweet shop owner's son obviously had a lot of time to practice and thoroughly trounced every single one of us every day but we didn't care we had an arcade machine on our doorstep, it was awesome!!

Anyone else have any fond memories of arcades?
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11944

Back to top Go down

Arcade memories Empty Re: Arcade memories

Post  stubbymite Tue May 01, 2012 10:16 am

i dnt know why but onoe of my faves was the simpsons arcade game. Yes the one that has recently come out through the xbla.

I am also of a fan of the time crisis games and loved playing them on the ps2
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10068

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 01, 2012 11:09 am

Being of a certain age I remember when arcades started to get the video games in instead of just the fruits and pinnys and pushcoins

Living close to seaside towns meant a youth spent playing space invaders and asteroids and defender
I still recall the day someone found out you could count your shots to get the 300 for the ship in space invaders

I never really got into donkey kong but from the second sort of wave of machines, robotron, galaxians, gorf and hunchback took nearly all my spare dosh

In 2006 I got together a bunch of retrogamers from another site and we went on a pilgrammage to Blackpool to see if we could find any of the old machines that we still enjoy through either mame cabs or owning originals

Sadly the fruitys had re taken over all of the floor spaces in most places and the video games left were in a sad state of repair and we ended up playing the reto kit we had all brought with us instead

Whilst I would give a sizeable chunk of everything I own to be 25 years younger, I am actually aware that I was born at almost the perfect time to enjoy the full arcade/video/console/sputer/pinny revolutions and was also in the right place at the right time for them and the punk/new wave movement too. So whilst I want to be young again I only really want it if I could relive those days again

Back to top Go down

Post  Naf Vertone Tue May 01, 2012 11:51 am

A mate of mines family used to own a pub and they always had an arcade machine or two in there.It used to be right exciting when he was telling me that they were getting in a new machine.These were some of my favs though.Second machine looks like Mortal Kombat in a Double Dragon case but i enjoyed Double Dragon more.
Naf Vertone
Naf Vertone
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : NAF VERTONE
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-08-11
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 5598

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Tue May 01, 2012 12:23 pm

I used to love the X-Men beat em up, Shadow Dancer, Turtles Arcade, 1942, Final Fight, Double Dragon, Silkworm, House of the dead, virtua cop, sega rally I used to love the arcades when I was younger, its a shame although when I was a kid playing them I never dreamed that I would have a gaming set up like I have now in my front room, especially when I have MAME set up so I can play all the old games from the comfort of my sofa Smile
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9077

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 01, 2012 1:40 pm

Tenlo wrote:
My local sweet shop actually managed to fit an arcade machine in its cramped spac for quite a few years and I used to go in there every day after school. Unfortunately for me the sweet shop owner's son obviously had a lot of time to practice and thoroughly trounced every single one of us every day but we didn't care we had an arcade machine on our doorstep, it was awesome!!

Was that the sweet shop along Bournemouth Park Road? I used to play Street Fighter there too!

Growing up in a seaside town, I used to spend many a Saturday at the arcades with my friends. Stand-out favourites were Rampage, APB and Bubble Bobble. I also have fond memories of that football game that you played with a trackball.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lighthouseman Tue May 01, 2012 1:59 pm

When I went to San francisco there is a museum on pier 57 I think with row after row of old gaming machines. I played all day. My new wife was well pissed off. Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Lighthouseman
Lighthouseman
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : lighthouseman
Number of posts : 3356
Registration date : 2009-06-19
TGD Reputation : 44
TGD Elite Member Points : 9499

http://Howard.miller@symingtons.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Tue May 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Lighthouseman wrote:When I went to San francisco there is a museum on pier 57 I think with row after row of old gaming machines. I played all day. My new wife was well pissed off. Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'll have to bear that in mind I'm going to san fran later this year Very Happy
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9077

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 01, 2012 3:08 pm

not sure lighty will let you take his wife mate

I have a substitute if not

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Tue May 01, 2012 3:23 pm

DoctorMambo wrote:
Tenlo wrote:

Was that the sweet shop along Bournemouth Park Road? I used to play Street Fighter there too!

Growing up in a seaside town, I used to spend many a Saturday at the arcades with my friends. Stand-out favourites were Rampage, APB and Bubble Bobble. I also have fond memories of that football game that you played with a trackball.

No it was Kent Elms corner! I'd completly forgotten about Rampage though! To be honest i played that to death!!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11944

Back to top Go down

Post  Lighthouseman Tue May 01, 2012 4:49 pm

It's easy to find Basset . Get on the tram down to the piers and look for the ww2 sub. It's the unit on the key side. If you like history the sub is a good visit , and it's british. Very Happy
Lighthouseman
Lighthouseman
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : lighthouseman
Number of posts : 3356
Registration date : 2009-06-19
TGD Reputation : 44
TGD Elite Member Points : 9499

http://Howard.miller@symingtons.com

Back to top Go down

Post  evilgenius76 Wed May 02, 2012 8:45 am

OMG!!!!!! Arcades were where my gaming addiction began......starting with asteroids, moving onto blasteroids (asteroids in colour!!!) Virtua cop/time crisis, sega rally, rampage, shinobi, ROLLING THUNDER! SPY HUNTER!!! Golden axe rocked my house and set up a life long love of RPG's! Metal Slug! A girl I went to college with her mum had a shop stocking D&D, AD&D and other roleplaying stuff and there was a cracked version of street fighter down in the basement (where we would roleplay!) so the likes of Chun Li would not only move forward whilst doing her 1000 kicks move but also fire out Guile's sonic boom, Ryu and Ken would fire 2 ice/fire balls from their palms and lots more moves....There were also a few that I was truly addicted to that I cant remember the names of...one you played an american inside a russian nuclear base, it was a side scroller and had a few levels of platforms (kinda like contra!) and also a bottom to top scroller which you had a car and raced up the screen (kinda like spy hunter, but it was more in a deserty type place, but also if your car was on fire you could leap out and you played this tiny little man who could shoot the bad guys until you could get in another car...
evilgenius76
evilgenius76
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : evilgenius76
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2011-04-15
TGD Reputation : 19
TGD Elite Member Points : 5990

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Out run was my first arcade addiction

Followed by super hang on
In my teens I was obbssesed with topping the leaderboards on Manx tt. Sometimes playing it till my legs were all wobbly after getting off lol

Last edited by Markav on Wed May 02, 2012 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Sh00t3rmcgavin2 Wed May 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Double Dragon and Track and Field were always my favourites, and I can remember one holiday as a kid in Greece was spent solely on Donkey Kong!
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Sh00t3rmcgavin2
Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2011-12-21
TGD Elite Member Points : 6186

Back to top Go down

Post  GrahamOfTheDead Wed May 02, 2012 8:52 pm

Skipping school on the day the arcades at Whitley Bay got Mortal Kombat 3 in. It's still one of my favourite games ever.

I also remember visiting the arcades at Seahouses several times in my younger years. Played a Popeye arcade game which was basically a Donkey Kong clone and having a first go on a Neo-Geo cabinet.....it was a fighter. Think it was World Heroes.
GrahamOfTheDead
GrahamOfTheDead
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : GrahamOfTheDead
Number of posts : 4572
Registration date : 2009-10-30
TGD Reputation : 109
TGD Elite Member Points : 11095

Back to top Go down

Post  Slayer1189 Fri May 11, 2012 1:47 am

Unfortunately i'm slightly young to remember going to the arcades (also the ages I would have been there I lived rural and probably wouldn't have had access to a great arcade) but I do remember going to Blackpool arcades when I was quite young. I played a lot in Blackpool but the ones that really stick in my memory are The Simpsons arcade game, TMNT arcade, Tower of doom, and most of all a game very similar to Golden Axe with an epic dragon final boss fight... but I can never remember its name Sad .

I have always been a fan of arcade games playing them from home on old consoles or compilation discs that have come out over the years. I adore games such as Smash tv, Time pilot, Volified, asteroids (though for some reason I am terrible compared to how I could play asteroids years ago) and many others.

Bubbles is one of my all time favourites but it seems nobody I ever mention it to has ever heard of it. Anyone on here remember this simple yet incredibly addictive game?

Slayer1189
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : Slayer1189
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2012-01-19
TGD Elite Member Points : 4909

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTCD Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Back when I was in college, living near Bournemouth, I would get my wages, go down to the seafront and spend all day in Sega World and in the pier arcade. Occasionally I would be lucky enough to get to Sega World on it's free-play days, and save a bloody fortune. That also meant I got to complete many coin gobblers.

L.A. Machineguns

Rail Chase 2

The Ocean Hunter

Police 24/7

Crisis Zone

Ferrari F355 Challenge

Tokyo Wars

I also went to the Trocadero before it turned into a pitiful excuse of an arcade. 3 or more floors of some of the most crazy, extravagant machines ever. Virtua Racing with full sized hydraulic F1 cars to ride in, a bank of Ridge Racer machines with full sized Ferrari's, Dodge Vipers and such to sit in, the classic Sega R360 and this bizarre racing game where if you crashed you went through the windscreen and died, obviously losing.
TheTCD
TheTCD
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : TheTCD
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2012-05-10
TGD Elite Member Points : 4841

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content