The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition

+6
Naf Vertone
Colne Crusader
gambler6464
Ba5sett
KENT HAMMER
Tenlo
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition Empty The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition

Post  Tenlo Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:59 pm

The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition _-The-Witcher-2-Assassins-Of-Kings-Enhanced-Edition-Xbox-360-_

Developer: CD Projekt Red

Publisher: Namco Bandai

So we finally have the game which many of us Xbox RPG fans thought we'd never see on our console – The Witcher 2. The original Witcher was a success on PC not only due its story (unsurprising due to its source material being the cult Polish novels by Andrzej Sapkowski) but also for the quality of its graphics and world it created. It's sequel Witcher 2 was met with even more critical success and again used an impressive game engine which, much like the Crysis games, meant many of us thought we'd never see it on our consoles. However, again much like Crysis, here it is at last, but was it worth the port.

The simple answer is a resounding yes. The reason being is this is a very smart, mature RPG (mature in the aspect of storytelling not just sex, violence and language though there is plenty of that) but it is a lot more in depth and complicated than your average console RPG. You play Geralt of Rivia, a Witcher or monster-hunter, who begins the tale suffering from amnesia and in the reluctant service of a king about to go to war. The tale soon escalates and you'll find Geralt travelling the land getting involved in regicide, revolutions, racial hatred and even dragons all while trying to regain his lost memory.

The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition The-witcher-2-enhanced-edition-screenshot

This is a story where unlike recent RPG's like Bioware's Dragon Age and Mass Effect, choices are not black and white. Often you'll find yourself choosing between the lesser of two evils when faced with a decision and there really is no right or wrong choice. However it fits the character perfectly as Geralt himself is only interested in what concerns himself foremost and is often forced to aid other people just to get what he needs. But it also here that the game really shines.

Decisions made in the Witcher are important and make a big impact on the story. Every decision you choose will have major impacts on the plot, in fact one choice you make effectively splits the game into two different paths which means its impossible to see the entirety of the game in one sitting (though at just under 40 hours a playthrough, your at least getting your money's worth with around 80 hours needed to see the entire game!). Also with a world like the Witcher's you'll want to see all aspects of the game.

This is a world much more real in its portrayal of characters. Elves are not hippie like eco warriors but vicious human hating bandits determined to enact vengeance on mankind for invading their lands. Dwarves are warriors and craftsman just as interested in drinking, gambling and sex as fighting and crafting, but both are treated like lower forms of life by humans. They don't sugar coat the racism or even the inequality between class and sexes in the Witcher and insults are harsh and the treatment of characters even harsher. This is fantasy set in the Dark Ages and proud of it.

Often in RPG's you'll have your main story quests and then completely unrelated side quests which feel like bizarre tasks that a hero would never do, such as fetch cabbage from a field for an NPC who is too lazy to get it for himself. Here all the side quests are so well integrated into the storyline that you often don't even realise your doing a side quest unless you check your quest log. Most side quest have a full tale to be told and often are tied into the main story so success at these will aid you in the long run.

The whole storyline is impressive and is one of the best you'll see on the Xbox, if only let down slightly by the ending which involves a lot of dialogue and is very obviously left open for a sequel as there are a lot of loose ends which are left, some of which are only revealed in the ending dialogue.

The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition 2eaac83b

The majority of the gameplay will see you hacking and slashing your way through areas defeating whatever monsters or enemies are in your way. Combat is simple to pick up with your basic attacks being quick, strong and magic with a block and dodge button available too. It suffers slightly from the transfer of controls from PC to console in the clunkiness of some of the quick menus but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

Mastery of combat requires a bit more time though. Witcher's can drink various potions which aid them in combat in various ways such as regenerating health or reducing damage, but potions can only be applied outside of combat. You also have access to traps, bombs and daggers to use in combat as well as various oils which can be applied to blades to aid in combat. Although these seem like just a nuisance to begin with you quickly find out they make all the difference in battles as the right combination of potions and oils can switch a battle from difficult to a easy instantly and is a great innovation on a very old and tested game style.

In fact there is an extra mode called Arena which can be used to polish your fighting skills. Completely separate from the main game you are charged with fighting 30 rounds of enemies, some of which contain creatures not in the main game. Between each round you'll be able to stock up on items, level up your character and hire allies to help you. The longer you last the higher your score will be which can be compared to friends and other Xbox Live users on the leader boards.

Outside of the hack and slash gameplay, there are also a few stealth parts of the game requiring you to sneak through enemy camps. There are also several mini games to enjoy such as dice poker, arm wrestling and fist fighting which not only add to the character of the game world but also will add much needed cash to your pockets.

The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition W2360-2-620x

Graphically the game should be impressive considering the original version could only be run on high end PC's and on the whole they are. Every area you go to is incredibly detailed and as like the story everything is not all sparkly clean so you'll see plenty of wear and tear in the buildings helping immerse you in the game world. The forests that you explore are also amazing. You can quite easily get lost in them as much like a real forest no two places look the same in the game and with paths being hidden by overgrown branches or not clearly marked by worn ground they are the most realistic forests I've seen in a game.

The characters are designed well as are the monsters you fight. All the main characters are instantly distinguishable from each other, though many secondary and NPC characters seem to have come from a smaller pot of choice. However all the characters converse between each other and interact around you which add to the immersive world, though if you stay long enough in one place they will start repeating but it is very rare that you'll notice this.

As can be expected from a port of high end PC game there are some issues with the graphics and you'll occasionally spot pop-ups in textures when your switch between characters too in cut-scenes as well as briefly after the game loads up new areas but these are few and far between and don't really distract from the game.

The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition Review610

The sound of the game is designed to help immerse you and convince you your in a real world and does a fantastic job of it. Whether its bird song in the forest, soldiers chanting battle songs as you stroll past them or the noisy hubbub of background chat in the inns and pubs its layered so that you constantly feel that there is a world around you going on even when your not there.

Although there is music in the game its rare you'll notice it as usually it'll be brought up during cut-scenes to heighten the atmosphere or during battles and kept blended in the background the rest of the time for ambience. However the music is well written and perfectly suits the style of the game.

Achievements are nicely spread among the game and will be rewarded for making certain choices in the game as well as some tied up in levelling up or performing certain skills. Also due to the nature of the achievements they encourage two playthroughs which is clever as it will mean most people will attempt to see both versions of the story. There are also two achievements tied into the Arena side mode. The only real challenge will be the completing on the hardest difficulty as this will require some knowledge of the combat and potion system as so is recommended to try after finishing all the other achievements as it will be a tough one.

Overall this is a superbly polished games and easily one of the best RPG's out recently. With a immersive and realistic world combined with an in-depth combat system and a decision system which makes a genuine difference to the game world it easy to see why this was a success on the PC market. If Xbox players can get over the few minor issues coming from the port over to console and prepare themselves for a more complex RPG than they've had till now they will find themselves in for a real treat as this could well be the best RPG of the year already.

Overall 10/10
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11929

Back to top Go down

The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition Empty Re: The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition

Post  KENT HAMMER Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Good review mate of what is a good game.

But if this gets 10 then Amalur gets a 12! Wink
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25617

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition Empty Re: The Witcher 2 : Assassin of Kings - Enhanced Edition

Post  Ba5sett Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Good review mate, really enjoying this at the minute
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9062

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:47 pm

I must have really picky friends. Two people I know are playing this at the moment and all I hear from them is: "the game freezes a hell of a lot"" is buggy graphics wise" "characters have a habbit of getting stuck where you can't get to them""the controls are god awful" "The game itself is pretty dull and I seem to spend more time wandering around hoping to come across a key or something else I need in a quest than actually doing anything constructive. I'm on chapter 2 now and of the 8 quests I have active 5 of them have the description "wait for events to unfold"

Now I am confused scratch

Nicely done review though mate as usual

Back to top Go down

Post  gambler6464 Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:57 pm

great review will definately have to get it at some point.
gambler6464
gambler6464
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : gambler6464
Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2010-09-07
TGD Reputation : 21
TGD Elite Member Points : 6166

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Superb review mate. Sounds like a great game.

I was wondering when we were gonna get a game that was totally realistic and mature in it's plot line. I like the sound of it. Like you say, silly unrealistic quests like fetching cabbages can be compelling and they do have their place in some games, but they do spoil a game that's trying to otherwise be a serious piece of adult entertainment sometimes!

Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13369

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 pm

It does still have silly quests but they are done in a way that makes them sit perfectly in the game so that you don't notice, also the quest journal is done in a really cool way like someone is writing a story about your personal escapades it's quite funny reading what it says about some of the more trivial quests Smile
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Markav wrote:I must have really picky friends. Two people I know are playing this at the moment and all I hear from them is: "the game freezes a hell of a lot"" is buggy graphics wise" "characters have a habbit of getting stuck where you can't get to them""the controls are god awful" "The game itself is pretty dull and I seem to spend more time wandering around hoping to come across a key or something else I need in a quest than actually doing anything constructive. I'm on chapter 2 now and of the 8 quests I have active 5 of them have the description "wait for events to unfold"

Now I am confused scratch

Nicely done review though mate as usual

I must admit I had one freeze on a save but thats because I died just as I finished an area and so the cutscene kicked in as I was still in my death throes, other than that not a single bug I came across. The graphics I did mention pop up occasionally but considering its a port from a game for a high end pc thats no surprise (I actually found out today a fair bit of content from the PC version was removed as well to fit the port on Xbox). As for the wandering around and finding quests, I found a lot of them by speaking to people I came across like you would in skyrim or most western rpgs. They are also marked on the mini map so you can see who you need to speak to, I never had a manual with my copy but I'd assume that was mentioned in there! I hope that helps clear things dude!!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:16 am

It does mate. I think what I have been hearing are more like first impressions which are a little unfair whereas you have played it through and given a thorough honest review

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 am

It comes with a handy little quest book / guide thing which can help if you are stuck on quests Very Happy
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 am

Ba5sett wrote:It comes with a handy little quest book / guide thing which can help if you are stuck on quests Very Happy

Damn review copies come with nothing but discs, that would have been handy!!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:08 am

You get a nice map and a soundtrack disc too pretty good package for standard edition I know its the 'enhanced edition' but still costs the same as all the other games, my copy is signed by the dev team too! not sure if that is the norm didn't say anything about it when I ordered it just noticed the signatures when I was unwrapping it
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Naf Vertone Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 am

Good review.Will definitely be getting this at some stage.
Naf Vertone
Naf Vertone
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : NAF VERTONE
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-08-11
TGD Reputation : 0
TGD Elite Member Points : 5583

Back to top Go down

Post  Thommo Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:31 am

Nice review mate, heard nothing but good things about this game. I'll definitely get it when it's cheap, might even have finished Mass Effect 3 by then as well! Rolling Eyes
Thommo
Thommo
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Number of posts : 1090
Registration date : 2009-07-20
TGD Reputation : 32
TGD Elite Member Points : 6695

Back to top Go down

Post  evilgenius76 Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Great review again tenners, wouldnt mind having a pop at this from your review
evilgenius76
evilgenius76
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : evilgenius76
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2011-04-15
TGD Reputation : 19
TGD Elite Member Points : 5975

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Nice work Big T

But only 10/10

I thought you liked it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Kent would have taken my water biscuits away if I'd scored it better, you know how us mods are kept!!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  evilgenius76 Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Tenlo wrote:Kent would have taken my water biscuits away if I'd scored it better, you know how us mods are kept!!

Yeah, i saw the videos on www.kinky-waterbiscuit-back-alley-dungeon-spank-festathon.com

evilgenius76
evilgenius76
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:20 pm

evilgenius76 wrote:
Tenlo wrote:Kent would have taken my water biscuits away if I'd scored it better, you know how us mods are kept!!

Yeah, i saw the videos on www.kinky-waterbiscuit-back-alley-dungeon-spank-festathon.com

Hee Hee!!
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13369

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:10 am

I'm now on my second playthrough for a mop-up on Easy difficulty (my first playthrough was on Normal) and it is actually making the game a lot worse playing it on Easy, the challenge is all gone and a lot of the fun has disappeared too. I would highly recommend playing on any difficulty but Easy for your first playthrough as it will absolutely ruin your gaming experience, you have been warned!!
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:56 am

I'm on normal then when I've done that I'm gonna go again on dark which is apparently really tough but you get some cool new abilities too
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  evilgenius76 Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:10 am

evilgenius76 wrote:

I want to know how many of you clicked on the link?????
evilgenius76
evilgenius76
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenlo Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:38 am

Ba5sett wrote:I'm on normal then when I've done that I'm gonna go again on dark which is apparently really tough but you get some cool new abilities too

One of the guides I saw recommended plying through on normal or asier difficulty to see the other side of the story before hitting dark, which is what I'm doing at the moment
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:52 am

Aye fair enough, I don't have the time or patience for 3 playthroughs I'll be lucky if I manage two Wink
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post  Leigh36295 Thu May 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Been playing this and kinda enjoying it. I'm still on first disk though and about 5 hours into it. Only got it till Saturday cos rented it from Blockbuster so got no chance of finishing it on time really Sad
Leigh36295
Leigh36295
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Leigh36295
Number of posts : 3988
Registration date : 2009-10-23
TGD Reputation : 198
TGD Elite Member Points : 10113

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum