The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driver: San Francisco

+5
habitualschizo
KENT HAMMER
Ba5sett
Stucowie
Riled Wolf
9 posters

Go down

Driver: San Francisco Empty Driver: San Francisco

Post  Riled Wolf Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:13 am

Driver: San Francisco 10610610

After what feels like a very long break driver is back and now that it’s focused on what made the original game great it’s feeling better than ever. The “return to the series’ grass roots” idea behind the game has certainly helped put the fun back into the car handling. Of all the changes in the series the biggest gamble would have to be the new shift system allowing you to leave your body to look down on the city from above and pick another car to shift into.

Driver: San Francisco Driver11 Driver: San Francisco Driver10

At first shift sounds like a bad idea however after using it a couple of times you get to see the full potential of the ability and it truly is a stroke of genius. Shift helps keep the game play fast and fluid throughout in a way that no other driving game can and has certainly changed the way you approach missions and races. It’s so refreshing to see a developer take a chance when they could have just used the generic get out and steal another car mechanic used by every other game in the genre.

Driver: San Francisco Driver11

The story is very different and coming from such a unique angle is handled very well with quite a good sense of humour even the characters have a hard time grasping what's going on at times which adds to the fun and there's usually some decent banter between Tanner and passengers he Shifts next to when car hopping. While the main storyline seems relatively short there are plenty of other optional events like challenges, activities, dares, and felony missions to carry out, as well as 120 collectibles to find which can be used to fully flesh out the single player experience and thankfully these can be easily accessed from shift vision so you don’t have to drive half way across the map to find the next mission. The only slightly negative experience I have had with the single player side of the game is that some of the dialogue is badly recorded however it’s not bad enough to spoil the immersion.

Driver: San Francisco Tanner10

By far the stand out section of this game is the multiplayer with so many modes to play it leaves you spoilt for choice. As you would expect you have the normal style of races made up of longer 2 lap races and sprint series made up of 5 shorter races these have shift disabled however there are also races where shift is the order of the day. Tag which sees you trying to touch the car that currently has the tag in order to steal it from them as the player holding the tag earns points. And trailblazer where you need to follow in the trail of an AI controlled DeLorean to earn points. And that is just a sample there are 15 other modes to discover. The multiplayer also contains new shift abilities that you unlock as you rank up and these can be very useful at times such as the swap ability where once the ability meter is charged up you can swap whatever car you are in for a car you have pre selected from any of the cars you have unlocked by ranking up.

Driver: San Francisco Driver12 Driver: San Francisco Dsf0310

The achievements in Driver: San Francisco are all relatively straightforward and have the usual suspects such as complete a chapter of the story and complete the story itself. There’s also the usual grindy sort of achievements such as complete all side missions and find all collectables however most of the side missions are good fun anyway and the collectables are marked out on the map once you have driven within range of them so both are fairly easy. There are a large number of online achievements and these are made up of ones for ranking up which is somewhat quick and painless and the rest are there simply to get you playing all the modes and are also made quite easy as they are things like “Place in the top 3 in Classic Race 10 times” which should make this a relatively easy and fun 1000 for most gamers.

Driver: San Francisco Untitl11

Summary
The spirit of the original Driver returns to the series at last giving this game a very unique feel compared to all the other driving games out there. Combine that with the new features such as all the licensed cars, the new shift feature which I’m pleased to say makes rather than breaks this game and without doubt the best set of online multiplayer modes featured in a driving game. Easily one of the most fun arcade sandbox style driving games out there.

Scores

Visuals 9
Sound 7
Single player 9
Multiplayer 10
Achievements 8
Total 8.6

Last edited by Riled Assassin on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Riled Wolf
Riled Wolf
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Riled Wolf
Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2010-05-15
TGD Reputation : 138
TGD Elite Member Points : 7289

Back to top Go down

Driver: San Francisco Empty Re: Driver: San Francisco

Post  Stucowie Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:29 am

Cracking review mate, I was umming and ahhing over this.. I may need to pick it up

Rep given Smile
Stucowie
Stucowie
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Stucowie
Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2010-10-27
TGD Reputation : 59
TGD Elite Member Points : 6035

http://gamingbyt-bo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:06 am

Nice review Riled and the typo "unique angel" made me smile Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Riled Wolf Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:10 am

Markav wrote:Nice review Riled and the typo "unique angel" made me smile Very Happy
cheers sorted stupid auto correct Rolling Eyes
Riled Wolf
Riled Wolf
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : Riled Wolf
Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2010-05-15
TGD Reputation : 138
TGD Elite Member Points : 7289

Back to top Go down

Post  Ba5sett Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:26 am

Good review mate, I really enjoyed the demo of this and I'm planning to purchase it at some point but with so many other great games coming out over the next few weeks I don't know where I would find the time to play it! Think I'll hold off till the post-christmas sales as I usually have a truck load of gift cards to burn Very Happy
Ba5sett
Ba5sett
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Ba5sett
Number of posts : 3288
Registration date : 2009-09-18
TGD Reputation : 58
TGD Elite Member Points : 9079

Back to top Go down

Post  KENT HAMMER Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:09 am

Great review of a truly great game.

Well done Stig cheers
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25634

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  habitualschizo Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:30 am

Nice review mate. I quite enjoyed it, I'll have find my way back to it at some point.And get it finished.
habitualschizo
habitualschizo
Becoming Addicted
Becoming Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : habitualschizo
Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-03-16
TGD Reputation : 54
TGD Elite Member Points : 6159

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbymite Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 am

nice review riled may have to look at picking this one upon the cheap
stubbymite
stubbymite
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : StubbyMite
Number of posts : 4312
Registration date : 2010-05-21
TGD Reputation : 90
TGD Elite Member Points : 10070

Back to top Go down

Post  Colne Crusader Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Excellent review Mr Riled!

Reppage given! cheers
Colne Crusader
Colne Crusader
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Colne Crusader
Number of posts : 6893
Registration date : 2010-04-21
TGD Reputation : 158
TGD Elite Member Points : 13386

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky34 Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Great review there Riled, after playing the demo i was almost going to give this a miss. But after short play on the finished version at Gamefest, i will look at picking this up eventually.
Tricky34
Tricky34
Games Den Moderator
Games Den Moderator

XBOX Gamertag : Tricky34
Number of posts : 7255
Registration date : 2009-05-31
TGD Reputation : 152
TGD Elite Member Points : 13304

Back to top Go down

Post  D3M0NiZe Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:40 am

Great review mate.The multiplayer certainly is great in this....we must do a GSA night on it.
D3M0NiZe
D3M0NiZe
Mildly Addicted
Mildly Addicted

XBOX Gamertag : D3M0NiZe
Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2010-03-07
TGD Reputation : 26
TGD Elite Member Points : 6080

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content