The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apps for Gamers

Go down

Apps for Gamers Empty Apps for Gamers

Post  Tenlo Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Obviously many of us are picking up the new WP7 phones for the games and the chance to gain achievements all day long. However there are also a good deal of Apps arriving on the phones which every gamer should not do without. I'll compile a list of them here with short descriptions if you think i may have missed some post it up with a description and I'll add it to the list with a credit for your work!

All apps are free unless noted

IGN

This is the Official App from gaming website IGN. Originally in the apps section, I've noticed recently its been moved into the Games section on my Omnia 7 so if you have trouble finding it in the Apps section search through the games part instead. The app itself is nice and clear and from the front page you can check all the top stories on multi-format and check out the latest reviews and that days Daily fix (yes you can now have Jess Chobot on your phone too). You can also break it down into individual platform pages as well.

Overall: The app is well laid out and easy to use and you'll find everything you need within a few flicks of the screen. If you like your gaming news this is the essential app.

Xbox Live Extras

The official Xbox Live App allows you to quickly see all your achievements, messages and what your Live friends are up to at all times of the day. You can also check their profile and send them messages. You can also change the look of your avatar from your phone too with all items form your Xbox account. It's quite handy if you have a busy Xbox social life. I've only seen one downside at the moment in the fact that voice messages cannot be sent or received. Also I've been unable to find whether you can add people to your friends list form the app

Overall: A handy little app to see whats going on with your live and keep track of friends.

IMDB.com

Now why would I be including a film app in the gamers section? The answer may well be a more personal one but I'm hoping that others suffer from it too. Often been playing a game and wondered where you've heard that character's voice before? Or wondering if that voice really is the celebrity it so sounds like? Well IMDB is the best app for finding out the answers. Just type the name of the game in and you'll find a list of voice actors fro the game. Click on the actors name and you'll be whisked to their profile listing all the work they've done both in games and on screen. Very handy for those moments when you can't quite place it. Oh and yeah I suppose you can use it to look up similar information for TV and films but who has time for those when there is GS to be had!!

Overall: A well setup and professional looking app which will make sure your never left wondering who that guy is.

Machinima

If you've not come across Machinima.com before, its a site devoted to both gaming news and comedy skits using video capture from games to create scenes. It's a nice little app and if your a fan of the site it's great to watch your favourite series on the move. However there are a few problems. Firstly you'll need to download the free youtube player to watch any of the videos, plus sometimes the quality of the videos can be awful and you'll end up with a blocky coloured mess. Also they only feature the most recent videos on the app so if you want to find the older videos in a series, like i did with the Sonic for Hire series, your going to have to jump on Youtube to find them.

Overall: If your a fan of the site your going to enjoy it when the videos are streaming properly. However a newcomer may well have to look on the internet to catch up with longer running series.
Tenlo
Tenlo
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Tenlo
Number of posts : 4825
Registration date : 2011-02-03
TGD Reputation : 187
TGD Elite Member Points : 11946

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum