The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Games Den
Welcome to the friendliest forum on the web!
We are growing fast and I want to reach 1000 members before we cap it off.
Please do invite everyone on your friends list who is over 21 to join us
See you on live soon!
Many thanks,
Kent hammer
The Games Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems

3 posters

Go down

LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems Empty LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:36 pm

LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems Lego-rock-band

A game developed by Harmonix Music Systems

Let me introduce to you ……….

LEGO ROCKBAND is the latest pack to be released by Harmonix. Earlier releases have included ROCKBAND, RB2, RB – The Beatles, and add on packs such as RB – AC/DC, RB Songpack 2.

When I first heard that Harmonix were working on a LEGO Rockband I was really excited and could not wait for the release, having played all previous Lego games I was intrigued as to how they would work this one, so I had it pre-ordered. The game has now arrived, and has it lived up to my expectations? Read on to find out …………..

How the Game works (Nuts N Bolts)

study study study study

First of all you can create your own Lego character you can customise you own instruments and create your own Band logo etc as in most games of this genre. I modelled my lego character on my RB2 Icey Rocker - Its weird turning yourself into a Lego person. It has got to be said that the Freddy Mercury is very funny, as is David Bowie and the topless Iggy Pop (who incidentally does the in-game tutorial voice over).

LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems Queen-to-appear-in-LEGO-Rock-Band-1

Queen

Guitar, Bass, Drums and Vocals are your options for play or you can rock out as a band! Band play can consists of 2 to 4 players. The model for the band play is as already exists on Rockband (local play only).

You simply hit the gems to strum or drum a note, or hit the pitch bar in singing or howling as the case may be. Pick the difficulty to suit the player from Super Easy to Expert . The more stars you earn the more gigs you open – SIMPLE! A nice little introduction to this game is the recovery if you fail – instead of being booted out of the song you get the option of playing the next few notes, and these notes have little twiddly bits on (that’s the best way I can describe them) so if you get more of the “twiddly bits” you get, you can re-fill the recovery meter – get the recovery meter up to 100% and you get a “Cha Ching” Cheevy (Stud Farm – 20gs).

LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems Lego-rock-band1-1023x599

Screen shot of game play

If you have a set of LIPS microphones, these are compatible with the game.

CAREER, FREEPLAY, ROCK POWER CHALLENGES

Navigating the Game (Sat Nav at the ready!) scratch

Career Mode

This is as simple as it sounds – you play a song, earn stars, and open up others gigs as you go along – purchase newer and bigger vehicles to open up more gigs. The better you play the more unlockables you can open up. The unlockables are all things Lego, from characters to lamps to trains – you can purchase some of your items from the Rock Shop to pad out your Rock Den. Some of the characters you unlock you must buy to create your own entourage. The bigger your entourage is, the more fans and lego studs you will collect. Lego Studs are your currency in the game. Did you know I am now officially a multi-millionaire (in Lego Studs that is). You continue all the way through to unlock the Rock Marathon Set list and the Endless Set List.

When you open gigs you open up cut scenes of your rock band travelling from one gig to the other – you can replay these scenes by watching the TV in your Rock Den. During your career you get the option to cut an album!! You can save up to 6 albums and during your career you get the chance to play it for a selective audience, and you already have your set made up which is very handy.

But the main emphasis for this is FUN and is aimed for the younger market (even though they have not “dumbed down” the expert levels (looks at blister on fingers – OUCH). However I would say that some of the track list would be possibly unfamiliar to a younger generation but has the older tracks to hook in the older audience – a bizarre mix but enjoyable.

The following clip is a fantastic example of a gameplay cut scene which is also a Rock Challenge to open up another achievement (Start me up - 10gs)

The next clip is for all you budding drummers - Expert Summer of 69 - Enjoy! Its not all about the guitar you know Wink

Bryan Adams

The menus are easy to access, aswell as being easy to understand and follow – that is because I have played previous RockBands and know how the menus operate. However if I were new to this type of game, im not so sure how well the pointers would point me in the right direction. I can see lots of small people or families continually on Freeplay.

Freeplay

Self explanatory really – plug in and play a song of the set list. Nothing Earth shattering here.

Rock Power Challenges

The aim of these challenges is to play a song, play it really well, and the power created from you playing will cause damage to your surroundings – complete a challenge and you get a “Cha Ching” Cheevy. These are almost impossible not to get – hardly a challenge.

Target Audience and DLC

Lego = small people and the production team left out (on purpose) the online facility so little ones could not access the out side world – so parents can be rest assured that little Timmy, 8 of Basildon is not mixing it up with older peeps on live. Harmonix have openly said it would be a family-friendly game.

For DLC fans there is a good side to the game. Any of your previous DLC on RB automatically transfers over. If you want to download your other music off RB1 & 2, you can do so for 800 microsoft points and the code from the game will pull all those other songs over for you.

LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems Achievement

Easy pickings for cheevy chasers – spending 1 million on clothes for your Character is very tedious but very achieveable, as is spending your earnings on your instruments and Rock Den. Each vehicle unlocks cheevies. 9 secret ones too, which you will easily unlock during the game.

Summing up ……..

The more I played the game the more I liked it, but for me it always lacked something and even now I cant quite put my finger on what it is that’s missing. It’s a shame there is no “online” feature and it would be fun to hook up with your xbox buddies and rockout. I envisage that hardened RB gamers won't touch this game with a barge pole – the Lego element does make it look very kiddy-like and add in the cutscenes and the not so challenging Rock Challenges – but then you have to put yourself into a small persons shoes and think – would I like this game ??? I think I would.

Fun in parts, repetitive in parts, enjoyable but maybe a rental for those points grabbers.

Ratings

Graphics..................... 7 (Could have been a little brighter – a bit dowdy)
Sound........................ 9 (Good quality audio)
Gameplay.................... 7 (I got bored easily but some of the songs were good)
Longevity ................... 7 (Moderate but repetitive)
Fun ............................7 (Family fun & individual gamer cheevy hunters paradise)

Overall = 7.5/10

Just as a little footnote: Ratings comparison: I was interested to see how my review score compared with other ratings on this game IGN: 7, Game Spot 7.5, Eurogamer 7, Game Informer 8 – I think I measured it just about right smug mode

Thank you for reading my review – your comments would be welcome

Back to top Go down

LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems Empty Re: LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Great review Icey but I think this One will just be a rental for me Smile

Back to top Go down

LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems Empty Re: LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems

Post  KENT HAMMER Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Good review Icey, I am enjoying playing this!

Your our music game expert and we love your reviews! I love you
KENT HAMMER
KENT HAMMER
Site Owner & Admin
Site Owner & Admin

XBOX Gamertag : KENT HAMMER
Number of posts : 13825
Registration date : 2009-01-05
TGD Reputation : 578
TGD Elite Member Points : 25634

https://www.youtube.com/TheGamesDenTV

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks kent LOL Im not so sure about expert tho - I just play these damn games way too much LOL Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:32 pm

Well done Icey, I know everyone here appreciates the time and hard work you put into your reviews so congrats on another cracking effort. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Thank you Simon - its a pleasure to give something back to GSA - in my own little way LOL Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:18 pm

Icey Ice Maiden wrote:Thank you Simon - its a pleasure to give something back to GSA - in my own little way LOL Very Happy

yeah but I notice we never got any of your birfdee cake

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Sorry Everton but this ..............

LEGO ROCKBAND - Developed by Harmonix Music Systems XBox_Birthday_Cake_RS09

was my cake - had to send it back coz they got the name wrong LMAO!

Back to top Go down

Post  garymason72 Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Nice one Icey, I love music rythem games and you have given the game a good going over. its on my To-Do list.

Ps. Thats a brilliant Cake.
garymason72
garymason72
TGD ADDICT
TGD ADDICT

XBOX Gamertag : Garymason72
Number of posts : 2506
Registration date : 2009-02-16
TGD Reputation : 171
TGD Elite Member Points : 8361

Back to top Go down

Post  Shybaby84 Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Love this game great for all the family and ghostbuster is a nice touch to it.

Shybaby84
unaddicted
unaddicted

XBOX Gamertag : shybaby84
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-07-16
TGD Reputation : 1
TGD Elite Member Points : 4710

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum